Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rode my age +11 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/314163-rode-my-age-11-a.html)

Sandwarrior 06-26-07 01:05 PM

Rode my age +11

I got out early today before the heat got to bad and rode 62 miles. Celebrating with a piece of Blackberry pie and a Sam Adams summer ale Wooooo Hooooo

George 06-26-07 01:14 PM

Congradulations on your ride, I guess you know you'll have to do that century next. Happy birthday!

Beverly 06-26-07 01:31 PM

:bday:

Congratulations on the ride!

Terrierman 06-26-07 02:40 PM

My hearty congratulations Sir. Enjoy your Sam Adams, well and truly earned.

Red Baron 06-26-07 04:21 PM

Add 0.4 for a metric century!!!

LynnH 06-26-07 04:34 PM

Nice job and Happy Birthday!

Sandwarrior 06-27-07 07:04 AM

It wasn't my birthday, but thank you for the well wishes anyway. I just decided I was going to get a little longer ride in. Bad news is that I broke two spokes on my back wheel. I missed ride to work day....darn the luck.:(

Beverly 06-27-07 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
It wasn't my birthday, but thank you for the well wishes anyway. I just decided I was going to get a little longer ride in. Bad news is that I broke two spokes on my back wheel. I missed ride to work day....darn the luck.:(

You could consider it a belated birthday ride:) I plan on doing a birthday ride Friday with a couple friends who are turning 60 and 61. I told them we would be riding a few miles farther so I can count this one as my birthday ride. My birthday is in January and I couldn't talk them into a 64 mile ride in near 0F temps...the wimps:D

Sandwarrior 06-28-07 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly
You could consider it a belated birthday ride:) I plan on doing a birthday ride Friday with a couple friends who are turning 60 and 61. I told them we would be riding a few miles farther so I can count this one as my birthday ride. My birthday is in January and I couldn't talk them into a 64 mile ride in near 0F temps...the wimps:D

My birthday is in January too. I rode in my basement though on the trainer. I think I rode the entire length of the movie "the Great Escape". I was particularly inspired by Steve McQueens motorcycle ride...I did my best to keep up:D . I hope all went well on your ride and you had some PIE afterwards.

BSLeVan 06-28-07 05:17 AM

Good idea getting out before the heat gets to you. I'm a January birthday person too. For the past five years I've been lucky enough to get out on each birthday, despite the weather.... but, to be completely honest, I've haven't been able to get my age in miles in on three of them. It was just too cold. I assume your're riding a rear wheel with a few more than 18 to 20 spokes? I really worry about spoke breaking on some of the lower spoke count wheels.

Beverly 06-28-07 06:25 AM

My birthday is in January too. I rode in my basement though on the trainer. I think I rode the entire length of the movie "the Great Escape". I was particularly inspired by Steve McQueens motorcycle ride...I did my best to keep up:D . I hope all went well on your ride and you had some PIE afterwards.

You did much better than I did on the indoor trainer:( I used it mainly to get the new bike adjusted over the winter.

tlc20010 06-28-07 06:39 AM

Big congrats on the big ride! Like so many (about 1/12 of us, I guess) I have a January birthday. This year we had some wonderful weather that month and I got my b'day ride in. However, weather wise, we paid for the nice January in February.....and March......and April...began wondering if it was ever going to warm up.

By the bye, Sam Adams and good pie is about as fine a reward as one can imagine. Way to go.

Sandwarrior 06-28-07 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly
You did much better than I did on the indoor trainer:( I used it mainly to get the new bike adjusted over the winter.

I put the trainer in the basement when I got it, and spent a great deal of time trying to find "Recumbent" training videos. I never found any, so I just used the "commercial Interval method" Everytime a commercial came on I jumped my HR up to 90%. I didn't get outside for my first ride until 5 march. I noticed a difference right away in my average speed and speed up my baseline hill. This winter I am going to focus on riding at 60-80% of my HR to maximize weight loss.

Sandwarrior 06-28-07 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I assume your're riding a rear wheel with a few more than 18 to 20 spokes? I really worry about spoke breaking on some of the lower spoke count wheels.

My wheels are 26" rear and 20" front HJC, DA-16, 32 hole Formula hubs. Both spokes were on the same side of the hub, almost exactly opposite one another on the rim. If I had broken one more, I think I would have had to call the SAG (wife) to come and get me:D

Yen 06-28-07 11:17 AM

My wheels are 26" rear and 20" front HJC, DA-16, 32 hole Formula hubs. Both spokes were on the same side of the hub, almost exactly opposite one another on the rim. If I had broken one more, I think I would have had to call the SAG (wife) to come and get me:D

Congratulations!!!! :beer: (We need a pie-eating emoticon.)

Coloradopenguin 06-28-07 11:54 AM

:bday:
Way to go! Birthday rides are so much fun, even belated ones . . . you get to ride, eat and celebrate!
I'm not quite sure blackberry pie goes with beer, but I'm willing to give it a try after my next long ride. :rolleyes:

Now if only we had pictures . . .

:beer:

dendawg 06-28-07 05:53 PM

Congratulations on the ride. The heat in NYC has been unbearable this week. I've been limiting myslef to short (less than an hour) rides.