Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Widgets to Carry for the Tool-Challenged?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-25-07, 07:00 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The good news is my new bike is at the LBS, and my new wheels are at my house. The bad news is a chipped distal-tip of right fibula three weeks ago. The good news is I've finished wearing a cast for three weeks to heal the bugger. The bad news is a follow-up, second cast today, for three more weeks. Why didn't somebody brief me that you forget how to walk when turning 50?

So, three weeks to fine tune any remaining logistics. Worst case logistics for now would be for weekday (joint & solo) rides at Willow Park (Michigan) and weekend solo rides at Kensington Park (Michigan). I've got the basics: a bell, mini-pump, water cages, spare tube, patch kit, tire irons, a small seatpost bag (about 50 cubic inch volume), handlebar bag for food-clothes-wallet-cell phone, and basic first aid stuff. Being a boy scout in a previous life, I also got a Leatherman non-bike-minitool:
< https://www.swissknifeshop.com/Leathe..._p/l830200.htm >.

I'm having difficulty figuring what tools should be carried for a new bike with Shimano Dura Ace components. I can not comprehend what tools should be carried. The only two biking tools I have acquired over the years (and have ridden very little) are:
1. Park MT-1: Very compact & light, but probably not much leverage in tight spots.
* Hex Wrenches: 3mm . . . 4mm . . . 5mm . . . 6mm . . . 8mm
* Socket Wrenches: 8mm . . . 9mm . . . 10mm
* Regular Screwdriver

2. Park AWS-9: Longer hexes, but less choice of selection, and no socket wrenches.
* Hex Wrenches: 4mm . . . 5mm . . . 6mm
* Regular Screwdriver
* Philips Screwdriver

So, on one hand I'm not riding to Africa. On the other hand, I could be the only biker on early mornings in Kensington Park, about 40 miles from my house. Along with the Leatherman multitool in my seatpost bag, what are recommended minimalist bike tools I should always have with me?
Old 06-25-07, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I generally just carry enough stuff to fix 1 flat tire. When I ride my fixed gear, I don't even carry that.
Old 06-25-07, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry enough tools to change a flat, adjust seat and handlebars, always have a snack bar of some kind, my C02 inflator, $10.00 and always my cell phone to call for a rescue if needed.
Old 06-25-07, 07:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have a different set-up for my mountain bike than my road bike. Maybe I shouldn't.

For my mountain bike, I carry a Topeak Alien II, which is a bit heavy but has pretty any tool that you would ordinarily need. I also carry CO2 cartridges, spare tubes, patch kit, and sometimes duct tape, used a lot on the trail for snapped frames, broken bones and the like.

For my road bike I carry a spare tube, tire irons, patch kit, and a tiny little tool with a few hex wrenches. If I snap a CF frame, I don't think duct tape will fix that.
Old 06-25-07, 07:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Generally, I carry as "permanent" bag items: tube, patch kit and 1 lever, 3 inch piece of tube for tire boot, a tiny envelope for hand cleaning, couple of gel packs, couple of appropriate size hex wrenches (I don't like the "sets"...too heavy and too many but good for garage use), a copy of my insurance card and driver's license, rolled up $10 bill in case I make landfall at a Starbuck's.

I may add other stuff to my jersey pockets depending on distance, weather, etc.
Old 06-25-07, 07:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one of these - just $3.95 and I threw it into an order where I was already getting free shipping. It has come in handy a couple of times. Pretty light.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=18237&brand=
Old 06-25-07, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I carry a Crank Bros Multi-17 tool. They have a Multi-19 tool out now, but I don't think there's anything more on it that would be useful to me.
I just went and looked at my recumbent and touring bikes. Not a single thing on them that would need a socket type wrench. Everything is an Allen hex. If your bike only uses Allen hexes, then you don't need the sockets.
You have tire irons? I'm hoping those are plastic, since the metal ones have actually dug into the rim on bikes of other people I ride with. Always use plastic ones. If they are breaking on you, use them spaced closer together and/or try the Pedro's levers, they're stronger.
If you use Shimano SPD clipless pedals, you'll need a 3mm Allen to adjust them.
Old 06-25-07, 08:20 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For riding close to home, I carry enough to adjust a seat, tighten a loose bolt, adjust a derailer and fix a flat or two--I've fixed as many as 3 in 20 miles. I think a small role of electricians tape is good also to put a piece over the hole in the tire if you are riding high pressures.

If I'm touring, I carry a lot more.
Old 06-25-07, 08:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
You have tire irons? I'm hoping those are plastic, since the metal ones have actually dug into the rim on bikes of other people I ride with. Always use plastic ones. If they are breaking on you, use them spaced closer together and/or try the Pedro's levers, they're stronger.
Oops. I use metal irons. I'm going to change over. You learn a lot on this site
Old 06-25-07, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I need all the help I can get on hills, so I like to keep the weight down.

1 tube wrapped in small rag, patch kit, 3 plastic tire irons and a frame pump.

Only time I carry tools is if I am experimenting with some adjustment(s). As CC noted, multi tools are too heavy, the proper hex wrenches will suffice. Most multi tools include about a pound of tools that don't even fit your particular bike.
Old 06-25-07, 08:57 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the Park MT1. It can get you through just about anything, and it's very easy to use. compared with the Topeak I used to have. The only thing the Park lacks is a corkscrew and a beer opener. Also two tubes, tire levers, some way to inflate your tires, and a cell phone.

I agree with Louis and CC--it is extra weight, but I'm a cyclo-tourist at heart don't worry too much about the extra, um, ounces. Otherwise, I wouldn't be eating chips and drinking beer as I write this.
Old 06-25-07, 09:02 PM

Hey, JT, welcome back.

Doh ...I forgot to mention a cell phone.
Old 06-25-07, 09:11 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Topeak multi tool (Alien I think), spare tube, Presta adaptor, four inch folding knife, tire removal tool, IPA pads and large bandage.
Old 06-25-07, 09:21 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oops, I also forgot that I carry the Park Tire Boots. I usually have about 5-6 of them. They are like the Park instant tube patches, only much bigger.
Old 06-25-07, 09:36 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I carry a Crank Bros Multi-17 tool.
I have a Crank-17 too but have great difficulty using the chain breaker.
I bought a Park IB-3 to replace it but haven't used it yet. It _looks_ as
though the chain breaker will be more usable. Having broken chains
and (in separate incidents) gotten them jammed between the chainring
and frame I'm not comfortable w/o the chainbreaker.

If you need the chainbreaker, what next?? To put the chain back
together you will need either a Shimano (10 speed??, 9 speed?? it matters)
pin or a master link. I favor Wipperman Connex links. The large Leatherman
will be considered by many to be overkill, but using a baby Leatherman I
bent the plier end trying to snap the excess piece off a Shimano 9 speed pin.

If any of this calls for clarification then holler.
Old 06-25-07, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cell phone, credit card, ID with emergency info including blood type
Old 06-25-07, 10:29 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really dislike those combo tools. I have a drawer full of them. They are no fun to work with that's for sure.

I carry a Topeak Toolbar, which is basically a screwdriver with extra bits and tire levers, a pack of Park Super Patches and a Topeak Micro Rocket.

That's all folks.

I would just carry the real thing - separate tools that is - if I was really going off the edge somewhere.
Old 06-26-07, 04:55 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Along with the Leatherman multitool in my seatpost bag, what are recommended minimalist bike tools I should always have with me?
Here's what I carry for 30 mi + rides: driver's license, health insurance card, credit card, keys, handkerchief, $10 or $20, cell phone, small flat screwdriver not too fine, allen wrenches (6mm, 5 mm, 3 mm), small 13 mm open end, triangle socket wrench, tubular tire, pump, chain tool. For Mrs. Road Fan I add some tire patches, glue, and Eldi tire irons. She wouldn't have tubulars.

I need to be able to optimize saddle and 'bar positions, adjust brakes and derailleurs, fix flats, get back in my car/house, phone, and be identified in case of emergency. Sometimes keep warm.

Road Fan
Old 06-26-07, 04:57 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Oops. I use metal irons. I'm going to change over. You learn a lot on this site
If you get the bead released fully, I can't see how te plastic ones are getting broken, it's not supposed to need taht much force.

Road Fan
Old 06-27-07, 01:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I dislike using the multi tolls- even for just adjusting something on the bike whilst out. Road bike wedge has tube- irons- repair kit and a set of the allen keys that I use on the bike and a screwdriver that has both Flat and Phillips on it. Mountain bike has basically the same. Only exception to this is if I have carried out some major repair or adjustments to the bike since the last ride- Then I will take the tools that I used on the repair/adjustments. Just in case I have not set it up properly.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-27-07, 02:20 PM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a bow and a quiver of 6 arrows. I was always told that if you ever got lost, just fire a shot in the air every 1/2 hour until help comes. This means I've got 3 hours worth of arrows.

Last edited by bobby c; 06-27-07 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bobby c
A carry a bow and a quiver of 6 arrows. I was always told that if you ever got lost, just fire a shot in the air every 1/2 hour until help comes. This means I've got 3 hours worth of arrows.
Old 06-27-07, 07:58 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If you get the bead released fully, I can't see how te plastic ones are getting broken, it's not supposed to need taht much force.

Road Fan
Some tires seem to just not be made for certain rims. Armadillos are now better than they used to be, and some Continentals are very hard to get off, even with the bead loose inside the rim.
Old 06-27-07, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
First aid kit, MT-1, tire levers and patch kit. All I need. bk
Old 06-28-07, 04:59 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only carry flat repair tools as well. This include tire levers (plastic), patches, spare tube, tire boots (a couple pieces of old tire cut to fit inside the tire in case of major rip in the tire) 3 CO2 cartridges and a cell phone for when all else fails.

2013 Noah RS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.