User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer shoes for cycling?

I recently took a bike tour to Italy and thoroughly enjoyed it. So now I am out for 15-25 miles a couple of days a week. I think I could use some sort of bike shoe for a harder sole but I don't (currently) have an interest in a shoe/peddle system. I am curious if anyone has recommendations on a comfortable, walkable show with reasonable stiffness for the pedals. A guy at the gym recommended indoor soccer shoes. Anyone using them?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mountain bike shoes. No cleats. Love 'em. I can (and have) used them off the bike.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lower end of the Shimano MTB shoe line has a more normal sole pattern, no dragon tooth mud lugs or screw in snake fangs. They are designed for walking although with the stiff sole, there is considerable "rocker" or curve to the sole under the ball of the foot to enable the wearer to proceed forward from heel to toe without bouncing up and down. At this level, the shoes are lace up, not velcro straps. The M020 is the low end starter shoe (maybe M021 by now). The M038 is a step up and also has a single velcro strap, not to fasten the shoe but to act as a lace cover so your laces don't stray into chainwheel/chain conflict.
    Somewhere up the line is a speciality shoe (sorry, don't have the #) that is known as a touring shoe. It has all the earmarks of a pure bred road shoe except..........it would still take a recessed MTB cleat if you chose to put one on.

All have stiff soles to improve power delivery and to help prevent pain in the arch of the foot (something here about planters tendonitus) from the leverage between the ball of the foot on the pedal and the force being applied by the leg to the ankle. Most have some form of breathable upper to allow the foot to remain cooler. All improve your bikely image and all are certainly an improvement over Black Loafers!!!
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 06-26-07 at 06:08 PM.

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on mountain bike shoes. I've used the Shimano SPD system (pedal models 324 and 424). They use a recessed cleat system that works fine for walking.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No on the indoor soccer shoes. But years ago I ground the (plastic) cleats off an old pair of outdoor soccer shoes for use with toe clips. They were super stiff and my favorite bike shoes for years and I think they cost like $15. I was tempted to try and put cleats on them when I finally went clipless.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read on another forum about the Adidas Sambas indoor soccer shoes being popular with some cyclists. I tried on a pair or two at an Adidas store to see how they were. They didn't feel all that comfortable to me so I passed. They are certainly cheap enough. They run around $50, although Kohls had them for $39 recently.

My Bikes
    Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed
    But years ago I ground the (plastic) cleats off an old pair of outdoor soccer shoes for use with toe clips.
    This used to be common with cyclocrossers decades ago.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at some of the mountain bike shoes. You don't need to put the cleats on them and many of them look like regular sneakers. You would be ready if you decide to go with cleats later. Shimano has a nice selection of them.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    08 Kona Dr. Dew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear a pair of Skate shoes. Plenty of padding, a flat semi stiff sole, which I can walk in.

torgrot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed
    No on the indoor soccer shoes. But years ago I ground the (plastic) cleats off an old pair of outdoor soccer shoes for use with toe clips. They were super stiff and my favorite bike shoes for years and I think they cost like $15. I was tempted to try and put cleats on them when I finally went clipless.
    Having played and coached soccer for a number of years, got to ask why NO to indoor soccer shoes? They are some of the most comfortable shoes made. The sole is at least as stiff as many Mt. bike shoes, flat and should work well with platform pedals. Diadora brand is my favorite.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoor soccer shoes are nice for a couple of reasons. First, the soles are cut narrower than current jogging or walking shoes that are so popular. They fit in toe clips easily. They are great off the bike if you plan to walk some at a destination.

However, the soles are not very stiff. You might feel the pedal coming through a bit if it is not a pretty flat pedal with a fair amount of smooth surface are. I use them often for casual riding on my MTB (gravel country roads and round town). (Like others here, I have also used outdoor shoes for riding years ago. A pair of Adidas Superlights.)

If you buy a pair, be sure to use them at least once a week for their intended purpose. Kick a soccer ball around, it's good for the soul!

USA 2 - Mexico 1! 2007 Gold Cup Champions!!!!

Tyson