Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reading glasses: The Curse of the 50+ Crowd?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 10:12 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, here's a topic sure to fit right in with the 50+ crowd: dang-blasted READING GLASSES!

Do you wear 'em? Do you buy cheapies at the pharmacy or get a prescription? Do you also wear contacts to see distance? Do you wear bifocals? Trifocals?

I buy cheapies and try to do so whenever they're on sale. No fashion maven here, I'm afraid. Plus I have to wear contacts to see long distance, and I've even tried to find yet another strength reading glasses for the computer -- which is just a bit further away than a book, but not far enough.

I've been wearing reading glasses for fifteen years. I can't stand 'em, but it is what it is. I don't need them to ride -- I can see the cyclometer just fine.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-24-07, 11:10 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I use them to find the computer keys that i press once to start a thread.
Old 06-24-07, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I've been wearing reading glasses for fifteen years. I can't stand 'em, but it is what it is. I don't need them to ride -- I can see the cyclometer just fine.
Oooohhhh.............poor baby. I've been wearing tri-focals for some time now [he says, striking his chest with manful assertion.] Frankly, I don't notice them anymore; I ride with tri-focal sunglasses, too. Playing catch with my son out in the street is dicey as the ball sails through various focal zones as I try to track it like a Patriot missile system-- hopefully they're more successful.

Hang in there, DG. As one of the point men on aging here at BF, I'll send back reports of what I find. Only Dnvr and Zonatandem and a few others are out front of me.
Old 06-24-07, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have needed to wear bifocals for the last ten years and do so by wearing contacts all the time and reading glasses when I do something like writing this.

My eye doctor told me he could fit me with $150 readers or I could buy them at the supermarket. Actually I will probably pick up a new pair tonight when I stop at the grocery store coming home from work.

I do have back-up glasses that are transitions bifocals, but it is like looking through the bottom of a thick coke bottle. Actually a bit nauseating if I move my viewing from near to far, or the reverse, too quickly.

Yes, I'm weird.
Old 06-24-07, 11:42 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Man DG, you must be OLD!

(as I look for my trifocals)

My excuse is a lifetime of staring at computer screens.
Old 06-24-07, 12:11 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing transition bifocals for about 5 years. I need them for reading or any up-close work, and for distance including TV and of course driving (especially at night). I also wear bifocal sunglasses which I wear while riding my bike.

I'd like to get a pair of the cheapies from the drug store but I can't figure out which magnification is right for me. Is there a trick to that? A friend of mine says she gets hers at the 99-cent store! I'd like a pair for reading in bed that I can take off and put on the table. I also need a pair for computer work.

While we're on this subject -- has anyone else noticed a decline in their night vision? I've had a couple of scary moments when it seemed as if cars were too close to me on both sides and I could hardly wait to get home. I don't see flares or bright lights or stars or anything like that. It's hard to describe... it just seems like I can't see everything, and yet I can. I had a thorough eye exam by an opthamologist who declared them perfectly healthy. Now I understand why my parents like to get home before dark.........
Old 06-24-07, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Do you wear 'em? Do you buy cheapies at the pharmacy or get a prescription? Do you also wear contacts to see distance? Do you wear bifocals? Trifocals?
I wear the cheapie reading glasses available at the bg-box stores. Also, I have no-line trifocals. I use the trifocals for riding the bike, but I take the el-cheapo reading glasses along for maps or repairs.

The trifocals are frustrating because the reading area is narrow and at the bottom of the lens. I have to tilt my head back to use them. Because the area is so narrow, I have to move my head as I read across the page or the screen instead of being able to move my eyes; therefore, I use the cheapies a lot.

I can't stand glasses, either. At least they don't require batteries or programming!

Presbyopia !!!
Old 06-24-07, 01:39 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presription bifocals here.

I've been extremely nearsighted most of my life so I'm used to glasses.

Wore contacts for several years to indulge my vanity & please my wife (she says I have "pretty eyes"); managed those "bifocal" contacts (one near, one far) for a few years till the difference needed between them got too great & gave me headaches. Back to glasses; sorry darling.
Old 06-24-07, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
My optometrist got me a pair just for computer work. I think its the bifocals except the lense is for a certain distance....my eyes and the screen.
Old 06-24-07, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang How I hate bifocals,

When in Vietnam, topic of discussion was which would be worse if we tripped a mine (bouncing betty) : to lose eyesight or ...(ahem..cough, cough) ..other. No one ever chose I know of. Odd how nature now seems to be making that choice a reality. Course - there's still some time yet.
Old 06-24-07, 01:59 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear prescription lenses but I have reading glasses everywhere - work, home, car, bike bag....

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-24-07, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
At 50, I have the opposite of what a lot of my peers have. I can see close up without my glasses just fine. It's a life long problem with seeing distance that I have trouble with. Over the past 8 years or so, it has been somewhat promlematic, as I must now remove my glasses to read something, or when I sit down at a computer screen. They I must put them back on. Never used to be a problem.

I could get bifocals, but so far I have not sprung for them.

I do like my increasingly grey hair though. I can wander all over Best Buy, and the blue shirts leave me alone. Cops in their 20's call me "Sir", which I find hilarious.
Old 06-24-07, 02:18 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah, even coyote eyes get old. When I want to telegraph a semblance of gravitas [ok, don't state the obvious, and anyway it's too easy] I have one good sturdy pair of reading glasses. Otherwise, about every three years I buy a 'bag-o-specs' at Wal-Reich [or some such]. Then I scatter 'em around like snuff at an Irish wedding so's there's a pair within reach all about the house. This includes a pair in my bike kit in case I need to read the Riot Act someplace.

Old 06-24-07, 02:22 PM
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very nearsighted (not quite as bad as Mr. Magoo, but getting there) so I wear contacts, and need reading glasses to see anything up close if I don't take the contacts out and put my prescription glasses on. The better half is farsighted. Between us we have a huge collection of reading glasses from "salvage" stores, Christmas Tree Shop, and Walmart. The slim gold $8 glasses from Walmart in the gold metal case survive the longest.

Some years ago we stopped at a gas station and asked a nice couple if they could direct us to a local street. The gentleman put on his own glasses, then his wife's glasses over his, in order to read his map. This was just a humorous memory until we started doing the same thing sometimes!

-Ally

Last edited by Baroque; 06-24-07 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am VERY NEARSIGHTED (can barely read the big 'E' on the chart), with a killer astigmatism. I wear gas permeable contact lenses that correct my vision to 20-20 in the left eye and 20-25 in the right. I'm also 54 years old, and wear "transition" line-less bifocals when I'm not wearing contacts.

Last week my optometrist made a new right contact lens for me out of some new material, AND IT'S FANTASTIC! Comfortable, and I can see better than I ever did. (I'm going to have him make a new left one out of the same material.)

When I'm wearing contacts, I usually need reading glasses. My optometrist said that the drug-store ones are just as good as the ones he could make, and recommended that I just buy them there. Actually, the Dollar Store is the best place to buy 'em. They're cheap enough there that you can buy a bunch of them and leave them all over the place. However, with the new contact lens, I find that I can read perfectly well without the reading glasses.
Old 06-24-07, 02:41 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Progressive bifocals for me, one normal pair and one sunglasses. Works great for me.
Old 06-24-07, 04:13 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing progressive bifocals for 10 years now--got them the same month I turned 40. I made the mistake of being too cheap to spring for bifocals in my cycling sunglasses (Rudy Project), and I'll never do that again.

Originally Posted by Yen
While we're on this subject -- has anyone else noticed a decline in their night vision?
Re night vision, I've got an eye condition (epithelial basement membrane dystrophy) that makes the surface of my eye rough, so halos are a terrible problem at night. It also seems like cars are coming out of nowhere, especially on the highway. I end up being a homebody after dark, unless someone else is driving. EBMD also intensifies the glare of the sun, so if I don't have sunglasses on I pretty much have to keep my eyes closed. That's kind of a pain.
Old 06-24-07, 04:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
You all are getting old. Soon you will die.

Get over it.
Old 06-24-07, 05:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
You all are getting old. Soon you will die.

Get over it.
This is a generalization and simply not true in my case. I'm working on immortality, and so far, everything seems to be working.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-24-07, 06:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I used to be immortal, but I abused the privilege and was made mortal again. Rats!
Old 06-24-07, 06:41 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Monovision with contacts here. It's worked perfectly for me for almost 15 years.
Old 06-24-07, 08:18 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use stick-on bifocal reading glass lenses on all my sunglasses, and on my safety glasses at work. I still have very good vision at a distance, but up close, it just ain't happening.
Old 06-25-07, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a generalization and simply not true in my case. I'm working on immortality, and so far, everything seems to be working.
I'm working on immorality, which is more fun, as long as everything seems to be working.

Veering back OT, I wear disposable contacts and get my reading glasses in a 3 pack at Costco, which seem to hold up better than other cheapies. I keep them in my car, my briefcase, on my workbench, and several other places that I'm sure I'll remember at some point. And yet, sometimes I find myself without them and have to do Jedi mind tricks to read things like menus and ingredient lists. (Mommy, why is that man squinching his eyes up all funny and having that lady across the table hold the menu?)
Old 06-25-07, 01:18 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> You all are getting old. Soon you will die. Get over it.

Can't be true. . .I'm planning to bike or hike all the trails in the George Washington National Forest and Shenandoah National Park. . .not planning any health issues for another 15 decades.

Reading glasses content? I just don't see me dying soon.

Old 06-25-07, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
At 50, I have the opposite of what a lot of my peers have. I can see close up without my glasses just fine. It's a life long problem with seeing distance that I have trouble with. Over the past 8 years or so, it has been somewhat promlematic, as I must now remove my glasses to read something, or when I sit down at a computer screen. They I must put them back on. Never used to be a problem.

I could get bifocals, but so far I have not sprung for them.

I do like my increasingly grey hair though. I can wander all over Best Buy, and the blue shirts leave me alone. Cops in their 20's call me "Sir", which I find hilarious.
This was my problem until the past year (will be 54 in a week). Now, I can't read the paper without help, so I've gone to progressives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.