User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Aches and Pains" of Aging?

Do you have chronic "Aches and Pains" of Aging?"

I read folks who have chronic aches and pains that they feel are associated with aging.

How common are these? Is it as common as the threads we read, or are many folks who don't have chronic aches and pains just not telling us?

What do you think causes them?

Do a lot of you have them, or is it pretty rare?

I guess I am lucky, as approaching 68yo, I have no chronic aches or pains. Yes, of course, I do have some that are brought on by specific stress and strain, but, in-between, everything is fine. I do know that certain things that I do might cause me to have them, but I have learned to compensate, so I don't get those.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-27-07 at 07:19 AM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing too serious, thank God. But on my recent trip to Indiana, I tossed a bottle of Advil and a tube of IcyHot in my luggage--and I used 'em both. Never even used to think about carrying them.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None and I'm 60. Only aches are if I over do on some physical activity and the aches go away real soon.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No major complaints from my ageing body

I do have minor arthritis in my right thumb joint and often wear an elastic brace when I work or ride. I was just happy the doctor determined in wasn't carpal tunnel problems or something more serious. Of course he could have been a little more diplomatic when he gave me the test results....who is the world wants to hear "Its' just old age" He did smile when he said it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor aches and pains come with the territory of aging and exercise. Chronic pain is another issue which can impact one of any age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old injuries never really go away.Damage to soft tissue in back years ago makes getting out of bed a tenative proposition.Usually it will loosen up,but ocasionaly goes into spasm and I hobble around for a while. Thinking of trying yoga to see if that will keep everything stretched out.
    I have the key, to escape reality....Get on your bikes and ride

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is that there are a number of things I can no longer do. Most important, running.
    My knees will not tolerate a 6 mile run on pavement. No way. Tried it. Tried it slowly. No way.
    Arthritis in both knees the doctor said. That does not prevent biking cross country or 50 miles/day most days.
    Next, weight lifting. I suffered a bike accident 4 years ago. landed on my right shoulder with my tandem bike and wife. Nothing was broken but I could not lift a glass of water. Now, many years later, MRI, x-ray's, therapy and pills, all that resulted in partial strength of that arm and shoulder. Again, does not prevent me from biking.

So, are we getting older? Yes.
    Can we have a full life? Yes.
    Can we do all that the younger folks do? Probably not.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect most readers here are in pretty good shape, or they wouldn't be riding too much.

Gots low back pain which gets better the more I ride. Seems to loosen (blanking on the spelling) it up.

Was developing some carpal tunnel issues which have gone away since purchasing the Buenos Aires.

Right shoulder pain, a result of an old racketball injury and aggrevated by several MTB crashes. It would be better if I bothered to do my rehab exercises.

Most recently, developing knee pain related to biking. This one has me worried.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest pain was plantar fasciitis. A better name for it is plantar fascism, because it really controls your life. I had it for 18 months. If you really want a treat, get a cortisone shot right into your heel - it's something like a root canal with no novacaine. However, I've lost more than 40 pounds over the last year, and my PF went away. Now I'm in the best shape (at 59) that I've been in 25 or 30 years, so the aches and pains are minimal.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 56, but no aches and pains due to aging. Only the normal aches and pains caused by physical exertion. Although those exertion pains seem to develop more quickly than they used to. Then again, I don't have near the time to ride, and I'm not in the shape that I used to be either, so it's to be expected.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only real problems are the results of past injuries. Both ankles, dislocated and broken, are stiff in the morning. Shoulders from the same are stiff, at times. My knees and ankles won't tolerate running, but the bikes are no problem. Riding is much more fun than running, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    ... but I could not lift a glass of water. ...
    A motorcycle accident from >40 years ago just raised it's ugly
    head again. Boring story attempting brevity: for 10 years I've
    maintained exercises from PT to tighten up my shoulder to avoid
    rotator cuff surgery. I missed working out at the gym for ~8
    weeks beginning in Oct. and ~6 weeks beginning in Feb. Couple
    of months ago had real pain holding up the garage door opener!
    Over a couple of days I lost almost all strength doing what is
    called an external rotation but everything else was normal.
    The theory of the week is that my shoulder loosened from
    neglect and some random motion created tendinitis. The loss
    of strength was a 'protection mechanism' to keep me from
    further injuries. Strength is now approaching 50% and I'm
    ready to get on the bike again.

Why did I bore you all with this story?? Avoiding injury by
    weight training can be important and I blew it, knowing better.
    Maybe someone out there in BFland will benefit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercise is a preventive for me...I'm 62, with the usual number of minor/moderate injuries an active person accumulates over the years (sprains, dislocations, a shoulder sep). If I don't work out regularly, I'm stiff in the mornings...well, I'm stiff in the mornings anyway, but if I don't get out and do something four or five times a week, it's worse. I can lift weights (hate it, but it's worthwhile) with no aftereffects to speak of, and ride as far, though not as fast, as I could 15 years ago. I'm very seldom sore after exercise, though my ankles and sometimes knees are painful, probably from several years as a runner before I started cycling in my 40s.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by head_wind
    A motorcycle accident from >40 years ago just raised it's ugly
    head again. Boring story attempting brevity: for 10 years I've
    maintained exercises from PT to tighten up my shoulder to avoid
    rotator cuff surgery. I missed working out at the gym for ~8
    weeks beginning in Oct. and ~6 weeks beginning in Feb. Couple
    of months ago had real pain holding up the garage door opener!
    Over a couple of days I lost almost all strength doing what is
    called an external rotation but everything else was normal.
    The theory of the week is that my shoulder loosened from
    neglect and some random motion created tendinitis. The loss
    of strength was a 'protection mechanism' to keep me from
    further injuries. Strength is now approaching 50% and I'm
    ready to get on the bike again.

Why did I bore you all with this story?? Avoiding injury by
    weight training can be important and I blew it, knowing better.
    Maybe someone out there in BFland will benefit.
    Your story is worth sharing. My husband had total shoulder replacement surgery last year. The PT told us that it is better to replace a whole shoulder joint than to tear the rotator cuff. That is a major muscle group responsible for holding the shoulder together. You don't want to mess with the rotator cuff. And, it needs to be in very good shape to support a prosthetic shoulder joint... thank goodness, his was. Recovery was a full year with a lot of hard work in PT, but he can raise his arm straight up over his head now. Before that, he could barely raise it perpendicular to the ground without a lot of pain and cracking sounds.

Strength training and stretching (done properly) are marvelous tools to help us be in the best shape we can be in as we age. It takes a lot of discipline and hard work to stick with them. Keep it up, you won't be sorry!

As for my aches and pains.... I have foot pain almost daily (osteoarthritis in the big toe joints, bone spurs on top over the arches) and some hip pain, tho' I never need to take pain med for it. I've noticed that I can do a lot of strenuous work, and the only thing that hurts are my feet (which, in some ways, is a good thing). I also have chronic back issues that flare up a few times a year, one due to an old sprain about 30 years ago (low back) and curvature of the spine (mid-back). I've finally learned to take ibuprofen at the on-set rather than wait and hope it goes away.

I really don't focus much on my aches and pains and don't worry about them. Nothing hurts while I ride my bike (well, except for the sit bones at this time) so I think I've found my sport.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad discs in my back give me chronic pain, and most of my joints give me arthritic pain, with my fingers, elbows, shoulders, and back being the worst. Maybe 35 years of hard and heavy machine shop work wasn't such a good idea, after all.

Surprisingly, I get pretty much no pain from my knees, hips, and ankles. So, thankfully, riding is not a problem.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 06-27-07 at 01:57 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had stiffness in my joints since I was a teenager. My knees and elbows got pretty bad as I got into my mid-40s, at times being too painful to walk much. Then I started using glucosamine and about 90%-95% of those pains went away after 3-4 weeks. Has remained largely at bay over the past 7-8 years, flaring up a bit from time to time.

Have tendonitis in my right thumb that can limit me at times. Until I got my bike adjusted better for me, it was very painful to ride for more than 30 minutes. Now it does well out to about 2 hours and then needs a little massaging & stretching to get out to 2.5-3 hours.

Every year seems to bring a few more muscle and joint aches, things to be careful of, and to stretch. Heck, a few months ago I got up with stiff muscles (like almost every morning), didn't stretch, started brushing my teeth, leaned over the sink and pulled most of the muscles in my lower back. Couldn't walk for 3 days. Very embarrassing.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old injuries seem to "act up" more is about all. For instance, years ago I pulled my back while lifting a 5 gallon bucket of roofing cement. Since then my back goes out a couple times a year. But it used to feel perfect between episodes. Now it always aches a little.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Every year seems to bring a few more muscle and joint aches, things to be careful of, and to stretch. Heck, a few months ago I got up with stiff muscles (like almost every morning), didn't stretch, started brushing my teeth, leaned over the sink and pulled most of the muscles in my lower back. Couldn't walk for 3 days. Very embarrassing.
    I've had lower back problems since a diving accident at age 9. I've learned to live with it but it still bites me occasionally.

Last year I was ride leader on a Saturday morning park ride. After giving the usual safety speech I dropped one of my gloves and bent over to retrieve it. I must have done something terribly wrong because I couldn't get straightened up Others had to load my bike into my van and they put me in a car with one of the rangers until they returned from the ride. It took a visit to the doctor, some strong muscle relaxers () and about a week before I was fully recovered.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of which: took my ride today, not very far but felt a calling to go up hills over and over. Right knee was sore enough today that I have an appointment with my physical therapist in an hour.

My physical therapist yells at me and scolds me for this self-destrctive behavior. I wouldn't go to him but he was the one who talked my wife into getting me the Buenos Aires, so its worth the abuse.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have horribly arthritic knees. That is largely due to wear and tear from aging. Other than that, not so bad, even my back feels pretty good these days.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBent
    Old injuries seem to "act up" more is about all. For instance, years ago I pulled my back while lifting a 5 gallon bucket of roofing cement. Since then my back goes out a couple times a year. But it used to feel perfect between episodes. Now it always aches a little.
    Same with me. I'm going to try yoga, and some professional help. But I'm not sure what kind of help. At 51 I hope I have too many years left to give up on activity. I rely on vitamin N more than I'd like.
    I have the key, to escape reality....Get on your bikes and ride

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had too many sports injuries in my youth to Say that my aches and pains are due to aging. Knees were giving me problems and that is Why I gave up running- Since Cycling- No knee problems but still get an ache around the knee if I stress it-That does not happen on the bike.

Fell off a Mountain I was climbing and put my back out. That was 35 years ago and I now have a compressed vertebrae which aches if I do not keep active- Biggest relief though on this is to get out and ride a bike.

The only ache or pain I have from Aging is that I do not have the energy I had 20 years ago. Still think I do though and that just fatigues me after a long ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sport when younger has ause dme so many aches and pains
    Arthritis in Knees, wrists shoulder, elbows etc.
    Its not an age thing ,its more of what you have done before IMHO

An age problem

I ache for great sex

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

Coyote!
    High physical activity has been has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, long before it became 'exercise'. . .hiking, biking, running, and just 'moseying' and messing around outside. It's been 'baked in' from the beginning, not 'added in'. Along with this has been a constant awareness of sort of a background of soreness and aches due to falls and the just plain ol' knocking around of being outside. You might call it an old friend, one that reminds me that 'coyote' is probably a verb, not a noun. 'Course, I look like a fence post as a result. . .rough, creased, and knobby.

At this point, I have old injuries and a few loci of arthritis that I have to work around and compensate for. It's odd tho' that I never get muscle soreness anymore regardeless of over-exertion. Over-extending joints is another matter; they are a reminder of the passage of time.

In the end and because I view pains and aches as old friends, I just keep moving. Among my fears are to stop moving, to find a 'favorite chair', and to 'rust out rather than to wear out'. That's Hell on Earth.

Remember that great Sam Elliot quote in 'Road House'? Went, 'Darlin', ah'l git all th' sleep ah need when ahm dead.'. I hope I'm brave enough to remember that when it counts. BTW, ol' Sam looks like a fence post, too!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for a right shoulder going terribly bad, I have no other aches or pains anywhere. I'm waiting for the end of bike season before getting the shoulder looked at. Who needs to hold their arm above their head anyway.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast