Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ain't getting many pics from you lot.

Trying to sort some pics from my holiday- as I don't know whats wrong with the rest of you but we Don't seem to have many pics of your riding areas or local scenery being posted at present.

I love France and the French. Fantastic country and fantastic people. But as This is a Bike forum- I ought to talk about the bikes I met. They were either top end or Old. I am only talking about the road bikes here but Plenty of Pinarello's- Looks- Even one Boreas was seen. As to TreK- Speccies- Giants- run of the mill names- very rare. Even the older bikes seemed to be Spanish or Italian so not much change from the UK where the british made bikes are getting rare. One picture of the 4 riders in Malaucen- These were all High priced bikes- Dureace fitments on all of them- not much campy to be seen except on the older bikes. A few pics of me at the start in Malaucen and then the Fog. This was after I had ridden back down to the car and it is funny how the camera can see further than I could- I honestly could not see across the road. Then there is the pic of the bike. We wanted some garlic to bring home so I had to have a pic of one string. Only problem was I bought 5 strings-About 15lbs weight of it and I bought it at Laussan-about 15kms and 1500ft of climbing back to the camp.

I am a keen gardener and we managed to get to The Bambouserrie. It is really called that and is a Bamboo Garden- It is unbelievable and if you are a gardener- then the Magnolia Grandiflora will interest you aswell. It wasn't all just sight seeing but found a sweet shop at Uzes. Definitely took the wallet away from the wife in there but while walking round the town saw an Organ grinder and I could have sat in the bar opposite him for hours. Then the final couple are of Pont du Gard- a roman aqueduct that is still 90% standing after 2,000 years, although the number of tourist's that were at the site on the day were doing their best to wreck it- And No French holiday would be complete without a French breakfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures....looks like a wonderful holiday!

I hope to remember the camera tomorrow and will take pictures on the birthday ride.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shots, 'fam

As for mois, how many times can I post the same old scenery?
    Maybe next time I ride some place new...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures. It must have been a great vacation.
    The bikes with Campagnolo components were probably always just a bit ahead of you. Just sayin'
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you had a great time, and that bread looks delicious, but what did you eat with all that bread. I wouldn't have room for anything else. They say that bread is no good for you, but you have to die from something. Glad you had a good time, I'm ready for a vacation myself.
    George

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos are well beyond nice, Stepfam, they are great and wonderful I hope everyone takes a closer look at the aqueduct to marvel at what amazing engineers the Romans were. The pics make me want to re-think my next vacation plans.......

By the way, since you are an avid gardener, have you been to visit the Eden Project over in Cornwall? We were there a couple of years ago, and I still often get out the photos I took just to remind myself that it is real. A remarkable and amazing bit of horticulture and engineering in its own right.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    They say that bread is no good for you,
    Who are these "They's" that say that about bread? Probably say the same thing about sex and pie.... Bread is nothing more than a solid form of beer--or is it the other way around??
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures, flowers bigger than your hand, now that is a place to vacation!

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Looks like you had a great time, and that bread looks delicious, but what did you eat with all that bread. I wouldn't have room for anything else. They say that bread is no good for you, but you have to die from something. Glad you had a good time, I'm ready for a vacation myself.

This was breakfast and a couple of croissants- Bit of bread with Butter and Honey or Rhubarb jam.

Now Lunch may have been more to your taste- The bread again but a selection of Cheeses- French sausage and meats and a crisp salad with Dressing on it. Normally finished off with a Chocolate dessert that makes the richest Dark Chocolate taste tame. Evening Meals though were normally a BBQ with French Fries bought from a local Cafe- Salad again, Tomatoe Vinaigret, The meat was Steak or a French Sausage called Murguez or Chicken or Seafood. If we did not cook then it was out to a restaurant and they were quite cheap. Only point is that if you ask for a rare steak in France- I think they show it the Pan. We were asking for cremated and it was still VERY rare.

And Bread is High in Carbo-hydrates so a loaf a day- keeps the bonking away.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helmet use seems more casual. That first picture sure looks like my vision of what European riders look like. Cool Pics.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not up to the standards you have set here but these pics are from a ride on the Cape Cod Canal last fall.
    Mrs Maxx's bike is the Jamis Earth Cruiser resting below the Buzzards Bay railroad bridge. The other picture has the Great Pumpkin waiting down the path for the Mrs to quit playing with the camera so we can ride.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 07:55 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    This was breakfast and a couple of croissants- Bit of bread with Butter and Honey or Rhubarb jam.

Now Lunch may have been more to your taste- The bread again but a selection of Cheeses- French sausage and meats and a crisp salad with Dressing on it. Normally finished off with a Chocolate dessert that makes the richest Dark Chocolate taste tame. Evening Meals though were normally a BBQ with French Fries bought from a local Cafe- Salad again, Tomatoe Vinaigret, The meat was Steak or a French Sausage called Murguez or Chicken or Seafood. If we did not cook then it was out to a restaurant and they were quite cheap. Only point is that if you ask for a rare steak in France- I think they show it the Pan. We were asking for cremated and it was still VERY rare.

How much weight do you gain on vacation, stapfam, you sure know how to live.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    I think they show it the Pan. We were asking for cremated and it was still VERY rare.

I noticed the long loaf of bread myself. I ate a lot of it when I lived in New Orleans many moons ago. I'm salivating!

A steak... stick a fork in it, walk it around the fire once, and throw it on the plate. If it doesn't flinch or go "mooh" when you stick it again, it's over done.

Those are great pix. Beautiful area! Looks as if you and the Mrs. had a great time.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j
    A steak... stick a fork in it, walk it around the fire once, and throw it on the plate. If it doesn't flinch or go "mooh" when you stick it again, it's over done.

And when I serve it, if you ask me for steak sauce, I'll politely ask you to leave.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. Here's a shot of me on my trip to Santa Cruz, California earlier this month. I bought the bike to ride around downtown Santa Cruz and fit right in. It's the first bike I ever had with an aluminum frame and suspension. This was taken on my last day there. Later in the day, I gave the bike to the local bike coop.

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-28-07 at 08:30 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful pictures, Stapfam!

I wish my rides could include fresh bread -- I can almost smell it

I've added a couple of my rides lately, but I'll make sure to take the camera this weekend . . . I doubt my pics of the hike last weekend count but I managed a handful of "calendar" moments between home and Crested Butte.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg

And when I serve it, if you ask me for steak sauce, I'll politely ask you to leave.
    Amen, brother!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regard to the weight gain- A big fat "0". I may have eat well but at least there were not the cake shops around to dive into and get a Bun from. There were the Patisseries but I learnt many years ago that the French do not know how to make cakes in any form- Bread- croissants- Pain chocloat but that is about it.

Now on the Helmet use- I sweated on this ride. I also did not go much about 8 mph anywhere so the helmet- the camera- the cycling glasses when they fogged up permanently- Got lost into the car once the wife met me 6K from the top. I also lost around 5lbs on the ride- till I got back down to Malaucen and decided to try the Cafe for beer and chips. Boy were they good.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    By the way, since you are an avid gardener, have you been to visit the Eden Project over in Cornwall? We were there a couple of years ago, and I still often get out the photos I took just to remind myself that it is real. A remarkable and amazing bit of horticulture and engineering in its own right.
    Eden project is about 300 miles from me and is still too new a garden to have matured enough to catch my interest. If I am garden Looking then we have plenty locally to see- or for an Experience we Have Kew and the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) at Wisley.
    England is full of Horticultural gardens and it was a surprise to go to the Bambouserrie In France. Most of their gardens are just a few plants in a border. And Talking about gardens- Can't get out in mine till it dries out a bit. 3" of rain on tuesday and it is a bit Waterlogged.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics, Stapfam. I can't wait to get to Nice at the end of August, but I won't be riding. We had to curtail our Euro trip this year because I've recently had shoulder surgery and have just started the rehab. Had big plans to bring a tandem to the UK, meet you, and ride to France and generally swan around. Now we'll spend 3 weeks on the Continent eating and drinking and 3 weeks in the UK doing much the same, but not in Brighton. Well, maybe next year.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg

Or worse yet, ketchup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K. Here's a couple from a local MUP along the mouth of the
    Genesee River in upstate NY

That's the old Hojack Line Swing Bridge contrructed by King Bridge, the last known
    such bridge of theirs in existance.

Bridge in the Turning Basin about 1 mile upstream of Lake Ontario

Nesting just off to the side of the Turning Basin Bridge
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-30-07 at 07:10 PM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fourteen in a row. Yah hoooooo!

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam, j'ai envie de contribuer, mais je n'ai pas encore des photos interressantes. J'irai à Vienne en trois mois, et j'y achèterai un vélo à ce temps-là, après qui je ferais la bicyclette partoût, avec pics.

Pour un instant, je vous donne ce pic, de tout près de chez moi! Heh.

Je m'excuse mes fautes grammaires. Je ne parles pas le français depuis vingt ans!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of bike are you going to buy in Vienna, V.V?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast