Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tired of the weather hysteria?

Just curious if any of you are as annoyed as I by the overblown reporting that we get around here concerning the weather. According to the reporters, it is always too cold, too inclement, or (as it "is" now) too hot for anyone to venture outside.

I happen to love riding on hot steamy days (any time of day). I make certain to protect my skin from the sun (I cover up . . . hate sunscreen), wear polarized sunglasses, put a hat under my helmet to keep sweat out of my eyes, tank up on electrolytes, stop as needed for fluids, and just ride, ride, ride.

Never have I experienced a problem, and I feel great before, during, and after those rides.

I refuse to heed advise from weather"persons" who are out playing in the weather while, at the same time, advising the rest of us that we should only venture out if absolutely necessary.

Stories about demented octogenarians who died because they sealed themselves into an un-air-conditioned house or apartment, did not drink any water, and had a stroke or heart attack (related or unrelated to the heat) offered as "heat-related" deaths and evidence that things are just so brutal that we should all seek the shelter of air-conditioned spaces disgust me. Those stories are as unfair to the aged as they are to the rest of us, and, IMO, are just one more example of hysteria churned up by the media to increase their rating points.

Most people under normal circumstances, can endure most hot days without doing anything out of the ordinary to protect themselves.

The rest of us (cyclists . . . yea!!) need only to make common sense provisions to avoid any complications.

End of rant.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The thing that newspersons fear the most.

"We interrupt this program to inform you that..........nothing unusual is happening?"
    "Ya'll just turn us off and go about doing your own thing while we arrange to give the sponsors their money back"

Yeah right.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very elderly people are more sensitive to heat and cold, and their bodies have a harder time tolerating the temperature extremes. Some much younger adults get very overheated by talking a slow walk in 90-degree temps, they are covered and dripping with sweat when I haven't even broken a sweat at all. I believe the better condition a person is in, the more tolerant he/she is of temperature extremes. Just as some people cannot eat certain foods without breaking out in a rash or getting very ill, others cannot tolerate other conditions. For me, the older I get the less I can tolerate heat, tho' I'm more healthy now than I was 20 years ago.

What I DO hate about weather reporting is the ridiculous "storm watch" reporting that begins at the first rainfall every winter, when the temps are in "cold" (in the 50s ) and reporters are on every corner reporting on the latest storm that "slammed" onto the coast. BAH!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a TV, but I've never heard Paris Hilton's voice, and I haven't watched a local newscast or weather forecast in years. Most TV strikes me as trash for cash. I haven't missed it a bit.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a world where governments regularly lie to their citizens, and where news has become entertainment, you can't expect much more than hysteria. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I too love riding in hot steamy weather. Yesterday it was 97 degrees and 90+ percent humidity (tough for sweat to evaporate with that much humidity), but I still rode, and enjoyed it. I find that my knees, hip, and shoulders feel better with weather like this.

Yet, there are those that don't handle extreme tempertatures very well. One just hopes they have the sense or support of others around them to make good decisions.

This reminds me of a story my late Uncle Carl used to tell (I'm sure he got it from somewhere else). A farmer was sitting on his front step when a young man pulls up in a car. The young man walks over to the farmer and spends the next 20 minutes trying to sell him a thermometer to put on the side of his house. After he leaves with no luck in gaining a sale, the farmer's wife comes outside and asks him who was just visiting. The farmer replies, "Just some young wipper snapper too dumb to know when it's cold enough to put on a jacket, or warm enough to take off his shirt."
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 06-28-07 at 04:33 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah for some reason the media is going crazy about that little drizzle we had yeasterday. It only rained 18 inches. I remember back in the old days it rained 24 inches in a day.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first retired to the gulf coast, you should hear the hurricane warnings they would give. Mean while here's the weatherman hanging on to a pole or something telling you how bad it is blowing. It was more dangerous getting on the road than staying. I left for one, and that was Ivan, which went right over my house. The safest place to be in a hurricane is in the eye, the next safest is to the left of it. The next safest is, don't even go there, that's why I moved.
    George

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    In a world where governments regularly lie to their citizens, and where news has become entertainment, you can't expect much more than hysteria. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
    Your post really makes me nervous.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What frosts my hide is when it sprinkles in San Diego, we get TEAM COVERAGE on all the five local news programs. My gawd. It's drizzling, folks. Get a life.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Northern California every winter when it snows the local TV goes into the Serria and does a live shot, all surprised that "IT'S SNOWING!!! RIGHT HERE IN BLUE CANYON!!! TRAFFIC IS SLOWING!!!!! PEOPPLE ARE PUTTING ON CHAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here, in the winter time, normal winter precipitation no longer occurs. If the chance of snow accumulation is more than a dusting, we find ourselves in the midst of yet another winter storm.

Let the summer come, and we have sweltering, dangerous heat waves.

I agree that the elderly (oh, that I might live to be so, yet, never be so . . . go figure) are less able to tolerate extremes - they are also less diligent in taking the basic steps necessary to cope with extremes and, often, less likely to comprehend the dangers of extreme conditions - hence those stories about elderly men/women who die because they were dehydrated (although their water was in working order) in a hot house (although their air condition was in working order), etc.

I absolutely cringe whenever I hear news stories that play on the extreme danger inherent in the weather when the real issue is what we, as a society should do to better care for the elderly.

Countless instances where elderly deaths were averted are not newsworthy while one death becomes fodder to trumpet how dangerous the heat is - that no one should venture out unless absolutely necessary.

Argh.

Caruso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Yen]Very elderly people are more sensitive to heat and cold, and their bodies have a harder time tolerating the temperature extremes. Some much younger adults get very overheated by talking a slow walk in 90-degree temps, they are covered and dripping with sweat when I haven't even broken a sweat at all. QUOTE]

Sweating a lot is not necessarily a sign of bad health. Some people sweat more than others. I remember one Atlanta summer morning. I was sweating profusely yet everyone seemed dry. It took me about 1/2 before I saw someone sweating like me. An old skinny black man.

My cousin and I both claim to be the sweatiest. My grandmother said that she did to as a youth. So a lot of how easily you sweat is genetic. I'm not overheated, its just my cooling systems kick in early, keeping me cooler than you folks who don't sweat so easily.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather reports around these parts aren't exaggerating the hysteria. It's flooding all over the place.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1,000,000 on the "Team Coverage"... in the winter, they send out 1 reporter for each snowflake. If a person dies of natural causes during a skyfall event, the death is attributed to the "storm".

I have taken to doing my own weather forecasting using online satellite and radar information. It's more accurate and there is no excessive drama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather portion of the news gets the highest ratings, so in other words, this is all our fault.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    The weather reports around these parts aren't exaggerating the hysteria. It's flooding all over the place.
    I know it's serious. Hoping things dry out soon!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    What frosts my hide is when it sprinkles in San Diego, we get TEAM COVERAGE on all the five local news programs. My gawd. It's drizzling, folks. Get a life.
    That's exactly what I mean..... ridiculous!!! Transplants from the northeast and midwest must really laugh at us.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    Sweating a lot is not necessarily a sign of bad health. Some people sweat more than others. I remember one Atlanta summer morning. I was sweating profusely yet everyone seemed dry. It took me about 1/2 before I saw someone sweating like me. An old skinny black man.
    I agree... I didn't word that quite right, or I got my thoughts out of line. My statement incorrectly implied that I'm in better shape than the other person who sweats a lot in the heat, but I really meant that the two of us just respond differently.

My mom still talks about seeing her dad in his garage workshop with beads of sweat dropping off his forehead.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    Countless instances where elderly deaths were averted are not newsworthy while one death becomes fodder to trumpet how dangerous the heat is - that no one should venture out unless absolutely necessary.
    Argh.
    Caruso
    I totally agree, that's sensationalism at its best (or worst)......
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    . . . What I DO hate about weather reporting is the ridiculous "storm watch" reporting that begins at the first rainfall every winter, when the temps are in "cold" (in the 50s ) and reporters are on every corner reporting on the latest storm that "slammed" onto the coast. BAH!
    Ahyeah. I used to be surprised at the Severe Weather Warnings on Yahoo. Check it out and it tells you the current depth of the Animas River at Cedar Hill. Like, who could possibly care.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather is interesting here. We had over F90. A storm front blew through and we are getting F54.
    I was biking when this front approached. Of course I pay no attention to the silly weather report, right?

Well, this time they were right. I just made it and admired the fireworks from the safety of my car.
    Nine time out of ten, the weather report is worst case assumption. One time out of ten it is as bad or worse than they say.

I wonder if they can get sued if they are projecting too optimistic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fine with weather reporting on TV...until they break out with a logo designed just for that weather event! Then I turn it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    That's exactly what I mean..... ridiculous!!! Transplants from the northeast and midwest must really laugh at us.
    The 'thunderstorms' out here aren't even loud. I told my born and lived in California family; "When the thunder hits and it feels like the house just jumped 3 feet in the air, wake me up, then it will feel like home". We don't get that greenish/yellow look to the air before a really good storm hits out here.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make the hype even more real, the weather guy on one of the Cleveland TV stations always talks in a loud, high voice with a bit of a doomsday vibe. Kind of sounds like he's outside, caught up in the vortex of a deadly tornado, when actually, he's inside the studio sitting under his finely coiffed pompadour.

Oh well, that's show biz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast