Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Whistle Thing

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Whistle Thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07, 09:22 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
The Whistle Thing

sittin here in McCarren airport in LV, enjoyin the new STYLE of wireless, customerservicesless, flightless, weatherful, hassleful and gadgetful Life...
After 1 month on the right coast in NJ, I have a number of observations...

Most NJ cyclists seem to be fine people (when riding and eating pie)

A huge percentage of muricans are hugely overweight

Traveling in the friendly skies of the US confirms that we are verging on '3rd whirled' status. I fully expect to see goats and chickens on the next flight. Catching a flight at Newark airport is very much like a bus ride in Mexico. Except the the standard of civility, customer service and performance of the employees is much higher in Mexico.

NJ roads may possibly be worse than the roads I remember in Pittsburgh area, back in the 70s...

NJ Drivers seem far less enchanted with cellphones than Cali-fornicators, who can't seem to live without their ear being glued to that cell-thang. Not sure what all we have that so earthshattering to comm instantly, but then I prefer the speed of life over the speed of light.

A simple strong toot on a 'whistle' seems a good wake-up-call to many sleep-driving 'cagers'. I watched the whistle perform this magical feat quite a few times on recent rides with our brother and sister riders in NJ. That high pitched shrill tone seems very directional and makes drivers really snap to attention. Now, if the intent is still there they'll still wipe you out, but you know you got them lookin and maybe thinkin.
Not sure how I'm gonna keep it in my mouth when I gasping for air whilst trying to hang onto some young buck's wheel, but I'll figure it out.
The Whistle thing seems about as 'Fred' as a mirror, but, hey, just call me Friedrich...
Old 06-29-07, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy CRAP, I hate that airport. I have to go through there once a month or so, and it's always a freaking zoo.
I realize this has nothing do to with anything. I just wanted to say it again.
Old 06-29-07, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's where I'm gonna be on July 9. Actually, Newark is SO MUCH BETTER than Philly! I always have a heck of a time getting in and out of Philly. At least Newark has freeway access (even if you gotta pay to drive on it - which I guess makes it not a freeway) right to the airport.

I've got to spend quite a bit of time in rural New Jersey over the next few months. I wonder what the chances are of buying a cheap but servicable bike up there at a yard sale or something.