Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike ride sucked today (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/315342-bike-ride-sucked-today.html)

Sandwarrior 06-29-07 12:56 PM

Bike ride sucked today

I did a 35 mile ride today. I just got my rear tire back last night and not only did I break another spoke :cry:, I got stung 6 times:fight: CRAP!

Digital Gee 06-29-07 01:07 PM

Ouch!

How did you get stung so much? I can't imagine going through that!

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.or...ee_Beard_2.JPG

Sandwarrior 06-29-07 01:16 PM

Thats a good question! I didn't see any bugs/wasps/bees/or flying ants. I just felt it sting me and by the time I came to a screeching halt and ripped my shirt off, the sucker got me 4 more times on the back and once just above the tailbone:eek:

ThinLine 06-29-07 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
Thats a good question! I didn't see any bugs/wasps/bees/or flying ants. I just felt it sting me and by the time I came to a screeching halt and ripped my shirt off, the sucker got me 4 more times on the back and once just above the tailbone:eek:

Uhh...they only sting once. Most bees, wasps, hornets don't have multiple stingers. Only one.

Beverly 06-29-07 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThinLine
Uhh...they only sting once. Most bees, wasps, hornets don't have multiple stingers. Only one.

Yellow jackets can sting multiple times.....ask me how I know:eek:

Sandwarrior 06-29-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ThinLine

That I know! Either 6 bees flew up my shirt sleeve or a yellow jacket got in there. Itches like crazy too.

So Beverly...How do you know a yellow jacket can sting more than once?

:D

SaiKaiTai 06-29-07 02:42 PM

Not true... bees have a curved, barbed stinger - they get but one shot
Wasps have straight, unbarbed stingers and they can reload. Yellowjackets are wasps.

I remember that from my How and Why Wonder Books

maddmaxx 06-29-07 02:57 PM

This is the season that I carry the eppi-pens and try to remember where the nearest road crossing is so they will find the body.

Yen 06-29-07 03:12 PM

Sorry to hear about that.... sounds like you're due for a nice pleasant, non-problematic ride very soon.

I really wish DG hadn't posted that photo.....:eek:

I got stung by a wasp when I was a kid, the whole side of my neck was swollen and supposedly I had to go to the hospital but I don't remember that part. I do remember an ice pack on my neck. Since then tho' I have not had a single bad reaction from a sting.

stapfam 06-29-07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sandwarrior

Good job it was just in the shirt- And yet another reason for wearing Lycra shorts or bibs.

You would have loved the beasties we saw in france Just like a wasp but 2" long- They were big. Don't know if they had a sting on them as when they apeared- I was gone.(Sorry- went so fast- no pics)

oilman_15106 06-29-07 09:22 PM

Your ride even with the issues was most likely better than my 2 days in bed with the flu. Hate these summer bugs.

Tom Bombadil 06-29-07 09:39 PM

One of my co-workers was out last night and got attacked by a hawk!

It swooped down, caught his helmet, and attempted to fly away with it. He narrowly avoided crashing. Brought his helmet in and it had talon marks and scratches on it.

jim p 07-01-07 05:56 AM

Another good reason to wear a helmet. Talon marks on the old noggin would be bad. I have not gotten a bee in my bonnet yet but it is probably coming. Put me down on the list of hating wasp. When I was a kid I would throw things at their nest and get stung while enjoying the challenge of destroying them. What I really hate about wasp besides their nasty stings is that they are so sneaky. They will build nest under chairs, in paper sacks and other places just waiting for the unsuspecting like me to make a mistake.