Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my serotta bike fitting today

I was very impressed w/the comprehensive assessment of all aspects of my riding style, athletic and injury history. Every possible option for my position on the bike was measured, re-measured and tested for comfort and pedalling power. They even had me up on a massage table (was hoping for a massage but nooooooo) to test my flexibility and range of motion. As expected my hip flexors are tight, (should be hitting the pilates mat more frequently.)

The fitter, John, was awesome, very knowledgeable, wielding his goniometer w/authority. He was more interested in getting me on the right bike than making a sale. He still has to punch all the numbers in and as of yet I don't have a specific quote, just ball park figures. After giving me his undivided attention for 2 1/2 hours, I was suprised he let me walk out without sealing the deal.

The Fierte can be tweaked to give me the right fit, and can be speced w/full ultegra in my price range. The Couer d'Acier would be better, since it would be all custom geometry, but would come in 500-800 over the top of my budget ;-) (This is a lifetime investment right? What difference does 800 bucks make?)

And then there's new pedals and shoes. I have candy's on my hybrid and wear mtn bike shoes (i know i know, it's fred) But I really DO like them for practical reasons, for instance, being able to walk in them without falling my keester. I could always just put these on the new bike, I've never had any knee trouble or problems with them.

Today's fitting put me on the 52cm short stock Fierte frame. If I get the yellow like I want, that would be an extra hundred bucks for the Fierte since it's a non-standard color.

I have a feeling what the cycling enablers on this board will say, but I would love to hear your opinions!

Colleen
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain telenick's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been under the hands of a Serotta fit guy a few times myself. I hope yours didn't hurt. My last time was actually yesterday ...I'm working on a Seven Sola 29er HT race bike for next season. I can hardly wait.

I have a wonderful Serotta myself and have been aquainted with their heritage of bikes for quite a while. In my biased opinion, I think you are going to end up with whatever Serotta you may choose a frame that was designed by a man and his team who have forgotten more about frame building that most will ever know. I know that's an audacious statement. But, there's an amazing legacy with the Serotta name and it's all very well earned.

Here's my input to your solicitation... I think you will find the Couer d'Acier to be a less vertically compliant ride than the Fierte. Albeit, an awesome, awesome, awesome bike. It's perhaps the best bang for the buck in the custom built stable.

Having said that, If you would prefer more drive train response and a "racier" (some might interpret this as being stiffer and I would concur) overall feel , then the Couer d'Acier is your mark. If you are more interested in ride comfort and willing to give up just the slightest amount of responsiveness, then the Fierte is your mark.

I'll throw in this caveat ...the Couer d'Acier is a customizable frame in as much as it can be ride tuned for more or less vertical compliance and more or less drive train response. It can also be tuned for specific rider requested handling characteristics through geometry manipulation. However, if you choose a Couer d'Acier with an emphasis towards vertical compliance, less responsiveness and a more comfort oriented ride characteristic, then you have basically built yourself a Fierte in Couer d'Acier clothing ...ATMO.

Regardless, have fun and watch out for those fit guys and their slippery hands. Oh, and cool ride journal!

Last edited by telenick; 06-29-07 at 06:10 PM.

a blend of wit and charm Moochers_Dad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
    The fitter, John, was awesome, very knowledgeable, wielding his goniometer w/authority.
    That part doesn't sound appropriate.

I LOVE my Fierte. It's incredibly comfortable. Get one.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that color Moocher's Dad! Blue ...like the sky ...like the ocean. The whole schmear is looking schweet. What crank arm is that? I love the Colnago mixin with the fork. A colnago stem and seat post would pair up nicely there. Maybe I'm just being a little to OCP for your tastes.

Mind if I ask... is that saddle set up for KOPS? If so, maybe a little more set back on the seat post is in order to get centered on the seat rails? Maybe I should just shaddap.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telenick, your Ottrott is gorgeous! Much higher on the food chain than the Fierte! Your reply helped answer affirmately a question I had re:the CAD...is it stiffer and racier? I'm really looking more for a comfortable bike for long rides. My inclination is toward the Fierte because it's in my budget.

Moocher's Dad, your bike is sweet! I love to hear your whole hearted recommendation, just one question.....Why did you choose duct tape instead of bar tape? (ducking and running)
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fierte = Love

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So at what price do these bikes begin? Not that I have any pretenses of going after one. Personally I don't find it objectionable for anyone to spend a lot of money on a bike. People routinely spend $20K on run-of-the-mill cars. For far less, one can buy a beautiful, precision made bicycle that I feel generates far more pride of ownership.

I think my local Serotta dealer is the only LBS in the county I've never visited.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    So at what price do these bikes begin? Not that I have any pretenses of going after one. Personally I don't find it objectionable for anyone to spend a lot of money on a bike. People routinely spend $20K on run-of-the-mill cars. For far less, one can buy a beautiful, precision made bicycle that I feel generates far more pride of ownership.

I think my local Serotta dealer is the only LBS in the county I've never visited.
    Tom, not trying to pick an argument, but what does it matter what the bike costs? You have your price structure, other people have their price structure. What a person earns or is worth is relative to the importance they place on what brings them pleasure.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious what they cost. That is all. I tried very hard in my post to make sure that no criticism was implied of any kind. $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, more. No criticism from me.

If someone doesn't want to share a ballpark figure, that is also fine by me.

I have no idea of what you mean by "not trying to pick an argument."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they want to know all my sports injuries they may not sell me one for fear of some kind of lawsuit.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious what they cost. That is all. I tried very hard in my post to make sure that no criticism was implied of any kind. $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, more. No criticism from me.

If someone doesn't want to share a ballpark figure, that is also fine by me.

I have no idea of what you mean by "not trying to pick an argument."
    He means he's not trying to pick an argument with you.

Perhaps the OP could PM the price?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone make custom mountain bikes, or is this only a road bike thing?

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For goodness sake, don't let DG see that review....he'll be crushed to find out how last year the Roubaix really is.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    He means he's not trying to pick an argument with you.

Perhaps the OP could PM the price?
    Thank you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peruse these links and feel the hand made groove

Richard Sachs
    Vanilla
    Serotta
    Kirk
    Jones

so many more...

NAHBS
    Last edited by telenick; 06-29-07 at 10:16 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    For goodness sake, don't let DG see that review....he'll be crushed to find out how last year the Roubaix really is.
    Too late. I've been sobbing for the last thirty minutes.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Too late. I've been sobbing for the last thirty minutes.
    On the other hand, I didn't even pay half that amount. It's all good!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone make custom mountain bikes, or is this only a road bike thing?
    I don't know about the others but Serotta makes custom mtn bikes. The guy who fit me races mtn bikes at the pro level and he rides one.

Today is a gorgeous day in NE Ohio and I have a 65m club ride at 8am!

Plus, the new puppy we adopted Wed slept quietly all night in her crate and got up and promptly went outside to do her business.

Life IS good!

Colleen
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then there's new pedals and shoes. I have candy's on my hybrid and wear mtn bike shoes (i know i know, it's fred) But I really DO like them for practical reasons, for instance, being able to walk in them without falling my keester. I could always just put these on the new bike, I've never had any knee trouble or problems with them.

Colleen
    Many of the people I ride with use mountain bike shoes on their road bikes for the very same reasons you've stated. I tried the SPD-SL pedals last summer and really didn't like them. They were a pain to walk in and I didn't see much advantage over the regular SPD pedals. I did find they were harder to unclip in emergencies I'm sure they would be a better choice if I were racing but I don't race....
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is a gorgeous day in NE Ohio and I have a 65m club ride at 8am!
    Move over Stacy's Mom, momof4greatkids has got it goin' on. Truly a MILRW, a Mom I'd Like to Ride With.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Move over Stacy's Mom, momof4greatkids has got it goin' on. Truly a MILRW, a Mom I'd Like to Ride With.
    After raising 4 kids- I think she has more stamina than I could cope with. Definitely a case of Starting a ride together- but then finding an excuse for ending it 5 minutes after her.

I have always used SPD mountain bike shoes so cannot tell you if Road shoes will be better- but if any walking is around at rests and scenic stops- then Mountain bikes shoes are walkable in.

Now if you do the 65 miles non-stop, then a road shoe and pedal could be more effective.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colleen, congrats on your very thorough fitting on your new bike, that must have been quite an experience (I can only imagine). I hope you get the yellow!

I have two questions:

1. You said you have candys on your hybrid. Please explain to this newbie with a hybrid what candys are.

2. With 4 kids and a puppy, how do you find the time???

Jen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with the one you like.

A lifetime investment (?) Only until they come out with the new models
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast