Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Halt: Discussion may be an irritant

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 03:18 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But maybe not: "Halt!" dog repellant spray. Specifically the irritant-spray kind that shoots 10 or so feet.

I was giving thought about carrying the spray, but the two following points make me wonder if I want to:
(1) Whenever you use the spray-type (not fog type), is it unavoidable that you'll get it on your hands or clothes, which would pretty much ruin your ride?

(2) If I carried it, I'd rather not have it visible. Is it too easy for the spray to go off by accident ... if being carried in a bag with other stuff bouncing around in the bag? The few pictures I've seen show a small canister ... but I've never seen it displayed with a cap that covers the push-nozzle. Seems that if it does not come with a tight-fitting lid, the spray-can would be too "trigger happy".

This is just a logistical thread, and not a discussion if it should be used. I always have pets in my house, but I've also been bitten several times by stray dogs.
Old 06-30-07, 06:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Twelve in a row.
Old 06-30-07, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's not 'trigger happy". but the way the top of the can is, it could be set off in a bag. If you use it and some gets on your hands, wash it off as soon as you can. I got a bit on the underside of my arm, and it was irritated all day until I figured out my arm had rubbed against it on my mail bag.
One of the ones at this site has a tab that must be flipped up to spray.

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm
Old 06-30-07, 08:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Unlike some nastier sprays, discomfort caused by pepper sprays like Halt can be minimized by flushing with water.
Old 06-30-07, 08:27 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what the one I carry is, but it sprays about 6 or 8'. I've used it for 5 years. Never had a problem, but I've stopped many dogs from chasing me--especially the 2 pit bulls that are allowed to run free. When they see me coming they go back to the front porch.

It will stop dogs in their tracks.
Old 06-30-07, 08:40 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So will Binaca, but it doesn't have the range. You don't spray it in their eyes or mouth... just the binaca in the air will send them back about 15 feet and make them keep their distance.

I think another good option would be a "Screech" maker.

Of course, you get a really nasty dog, you'd want to have pepper spray, but for the vast majority the above two things should work pretty good, and might be easier to haul. The binaca is really handy.
Old 06-30-07, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you go with a chemical/pepper spray, might I recommend that you get several and practice using them. I've learned two things about these products over the years. 1) They are like any weapon; you must learn to aim and use it accurately, or it's useless. 2) None of them ever contain as many "shots" as they say they do. You need to know how often you can shoot this thing before it runs out of spray. When you practice with two or three of them, you'll get a better idea of who long they last.
Old 06-30-07, 10:08 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
If you go with a chemical/pepper spray, might I recommend that you get several and practice using them. I've learned two things about these products over the years. 1) They are like any weapon; you must learn to aim and use it accurately, or it's useless. 2) None of them ever contain as many "shots" as they say they do. You need to know how often you can shoot this thing before it runs out of spray. When you practice with two or three of them, you'll get a better idea of who long they last.

I agree. I've used Halt. It sprays in a stream and unless you spray it into the wind or actually at yourself you won't get any on you while using it. I have a small loop on my bag that I hang it on, that works really well to grab it quickly.
Old 07-01-07, 04:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megaman
I agree. I've used Halt. It sprays in a stream and unless you spray it into the wind or actually at yourself you won't get any on you while using it. I have a small loop on my bag that I hang it on, that works really well to grab it quickly.
Where do you guys ride that you have so many dog problems?

I have ridden Lancaster County, Berks County, Montgomery, and Bucks Counties in PA, Miami County in OH. Never had a single problem with a dog. Obviously, I'm riding in the wrong places (or, perhaps the right places).

I don't know how much riding I'd want to do if I had to be messing around with pepper spray to keep dogs at bay. I do not envy you.

It seems to me that you could lodge some sort of complaint with local authorities to make dog owners more considerate.

Caruso
Old 07-01-07, 05:39 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi

It seems to me that you could lodge some sort of complaint with local authorities to make dog owners more considerate.

Caruso
I wonder if there's any county in the US where dogs are allowed to roam off leash off their property? I don't think the authorites would even deal with it without multiple complaints. It's a real problem... people really need to bicycle/ skate board/ car train their dogs, because dogs just haven't caught up with evolution.

The biggest thing about pepper spray is that just having it means there will be less chance for you to need it. Just stop the bike, stand still, and shout "NO!" Because you have the spray ready, you'll be much more confident and able to ward off the average dog. But there's some iffy dogs out there, so be prepared to really use it.
Old 07-01-07, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by card
It will stop dogs in their tracks.
Not all dogs. My mother-in-law had a nasty Chow that was immune to the stuff. Thank god we put him down.....
Old 07-01-07, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't necessarily have to get it on you. But you can. And if you do, thoroughly scrub several times before you take your contacts out.

If you need it you need it and getting it out of a bag is rather clumsy. It comes with a belt hook on the can that works perfect for hanging from a brake or shifter cable. Or from a loop on the outside of your bag. Anywhere but in the bag

it's not trigger happy at all, the design has the trigger for the spray protected by the cap. But in a bag something could mash it down, another reason to carry it elsewhere.

It's worked on both of the dogs I sprayed with it. They leave me alone now.
Old 07-01-07, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have ridden Lancaster County, Berks County, Montgomery, and Bucks Counties in PA, Miami County in OH. Never had a single problem with a dog. Obviously, I'm riding in the wrong places (or, perhaps the right places).

I don't know how much riding I'd want to do if I had to be messing around with pepper spray to keep dogs at bay. I do not envy you.

Caruso
Southwest Missouri. The sheriff department says feel free to shoot dogs at large that are threatening you, your property or your livestock. They don't respond to animal complaints. Halt is a good middle ground and far easier on the dog than either getting shot or run over in the road.
Old 07-01-07, 09:52 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
One of the ones at this site has a tab that must be flipped up to spray.

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm
That's a possible choice for carrying inside the bag. Two drawbacks is that they're more than twice the cost of Halt, and not as potent as Halt.

Has anyone rigged a canister of Halt so it doesn't go off by accident, yet still be relatively accessible? Something like a layer of duct-tape around the canister & above the push-nozzle, which would require removing the tape before pressing the nozzle?
Old 07-01-07, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Caruso

I must live somewhere near you, because I ride the same areas. My experience with chemical sprays was not with dogs. In fact, I've never had to use a chemical spray on a dog. I've used small cans of compressed air through an air horn on dogs when I used to ride the country roads in central Pennsylvania. It worked quite well.
Old 07-01-07, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry Halt in the back pockets of my jersey. I've been doing it for years and used it probably a half dozen times. I have never had it spray back on me. I have never had it get on my hands. (As a matter of fact, I used it Wednesday.)

Years ago I had a BIG chow that would challenge me on every ride. He would come out and nip at my heels for a good ten or twenty yards. I bought some Halt and I sprayed him on the next ride. He never came after me again. I would see him run up to the edge of his yard and stop but he wouldn’t come after me. I guess he didn’t want anything to do with me.
Old 07-01-07, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I wonder if there's any county in the US where dogs are allowed to roam off leash off their property?
Yes there are... In my county, it's legal for dogs to run loose. If one of them chases your livestock, you can kill it, no questions asked. If one of them harasses you on a bike, or jogging, or walking, you can go to court to have it declred a nuisance. Then, if it does it again, it can be declared dangerous. THEN, it must be kept contained.

Biggest load of &*(* I've ever seen.

On the HALT- in addition to practicing with it to see how many shots and how far it shoots, practice steering with one hand, while looking backwards and shooting with the other hand. Practice that a lot. Take it from one who separated a shoulder while attempting it without enough practice, and had to ride home 20 miles, the day before we were 'sposed to leave on a three day non-refundable bike trip.
Old 07-01-07, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Nashbar used to sell a plastic clip for mounting Halt to your handlebar. I still use mine. It holds the can in place, where it is quite handy - no need to worry about accidental discharge.
Old 07-01-07, 07:25 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Nashbar used to sell a plastic clip for mounting Halt to your handlebar. I still use mine. It holds the can in place, where it is quite handy - no need to worry about accidental discharge.
Thanks for the tip, Louis. Nashbar sells a clip for both roadie and for MTB handlebars, so I ordered one each of both clips. I doubt I'll ever use a spray, but gives me some assurance just having it.
Old 07-01-07, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
That's a possible choice for carrying inside the bag. Two drawbacks is that they're more than twice the cost of Halt, and not as potent as Halt.

Has anyone rigged a canister of Halt so it doesn't go off by accident, yet still be relatively accessible? Something like a layer of duct-tape around the canister & above the push-nozzle, which would require removing the tape before pressing the nozzle?
I have mine (Halt) attached to my top tube with a bit of velcro. Quick and easy to get to when Fido launches himself out of the bushes. I think it has only fallen off once in several thousand miles.

Today, my buddy RCK shouted at a charging dog, "You're not big enough to chase us!" The dog turned away and went home.
Old 07-01-07, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Motorad
Thanks for the tip, Louis. Nashbar sells a clip for both roadie and for MTB handlebars, so I ordered one each of both clips. I doubt I'll ever use a spray, but gives me some assurance just having it.
You're quite welcome Motorad, I'm glad they're still available.
Old 07-01-07, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
J&L also makes a holder that fits on the top tube.
https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/spray_holders.htm
Scroll down a half page to see it.

Al
Old 07-01-07, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Louis
- no need to worry about accidental discharge.
Uh...here in the 50+ forum, this can take on a whole new meaning.

Just sayin'...
Old 07-02-07, 03:50 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek Al
J&L also makes a holder that fits on the top tube.
https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/spray_holders.htm
Scroll down a half page to see it.Al
Thanks Al, I ordered a couple of the velcro holders (needed minimum buy of $10.00), so I can compare their holders with Nashbar's holders.

I'm contacting the Kensington Park Police to give them my name and phone number. In case there's a pack of wolves in the area, they can contact me for backup. Have Halt ... Will Travel.