Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Assault on Grand Mesa

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Assault on Grand Mesa

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 04:20 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assault on Grand Mesa

Grand Mesa. The world's tallest flattop mountain.
For years it has taunted me every morning as I go to work, its siren call -- "Climb me! Climb me!" -- growing louder each year. Five times I've mounted an attack, five times I've failed.

Last week a friend (who also has failed to make the grade) and I committed to riding to the top this summer . . . the next morning he called and said he was so inspired that he got up early and slogged up to the top. I was crestfalled until he described his ride, including the fact that he drove to a neighboring town which cut the distance and total climb in half.

So yesterday I got up early and mounted my sixth assault on Grand Mesa, determined to ride from my house to the mountain and back, a 65-mile trek with more than 20 miles of a steady 3-4 percent grade. Rather than set a speed record, I was determined to keep a high cadence and a steady pace up the grade. I ticked off the past turn-around points and at the 22-mile mark stopped at the ice cream shop -- the highest I've gotten before. Pausing for a brief stop, I assessed the ride so far. I had been riding 2 hours, was halfway up the 5,000 ft. climb, and was feeling really strong. I knew the top was within reach.

As I sipped down a little water and enjoyed some dark chocolate, two roadies came up the road. They offered to let me tag along. It was tempting, but I knew their fast pace would soon burn out my thighs. So I told them to go ahead and I'd plod along on my own. So with a smile and a wave, they were off and within a mile were quickly out of view.

And so I continued on my personal quest. I kept my cadence up, setting a comfortable pace of 6-7 mph. With each bend of the road my confidence grew and I started to enjoy the ride. My pace climbed to 7-8 mph. Deer poked their head up from the oak brush, marmots whistled as I passed, and a couple of rabbits came out to laugh at my turtle pace. I even caught a glimpse of a black bear amongst the aspen . . . okay, it could have just been some shadows.

After 3 1/2 hours of riding I had to face reality -- I had the ability to reach the top but did not have time to get up and back in time to go to work. So I paused at a view point about 4 miles from the visitor center, taking in the vista (wishing I'd brought a camera along), and relishing the knowledge that the Grand Mesa was mine for the taking. Although I did not reach the top, I was turning around on my terms and know I can ride to the summit any time I want.

The 30 miles back home flew by and I got back just in time to clean up and get to work. 4-3/4 hours on the bike, 60.1 miles and just under 5,000 feet of climbing. Not a bad way to start the day!

Next time I'll take the camera along.
Old 07-06-07, 04:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only one word. WOW

That climb is as good as Ventoux- except you have to put in miles to do it.

Next time take the Camera.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-07, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice report... sounds like a place I'd want to ride.
On Saturday I set out for a 40 mile ride down the coast on a road I know well - I drive it to a gig every month. The last mile and a half is a long steady, 4% or so but I believed I could do it. Slowly -might take a stop or two- but I'd get there. I sat at the bottom of that hill, eating my Atkins bar, and looked at my watch. I promised my wife I'd be home a half hour earlier than I knew I would be home if I turned around there. I thought about the wrath of she who must be obeyed and, discretion being the better part of valor, I turned around. I ended up with 36+ miles. Had I made the climb, I'd have had my 40. But I'd also have been really, really late.

You will go back and finish that mesa off, no doubt about it.
Old 07-06-07, 04:47 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Only one word. WOW.
+1 And all this before going to work

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-06-07, 04:50 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Now you can take the hill on your terms. Its taunts are meaningless. It knows it is conquered. It's just a matter of when YOU want to. Nice ride and nice report.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-06-07, 05:16 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I had been that close and feeling that good, I would have been late to work.

Sounds like your next assault should be on a weekend. Go and conquer it!
Old 07-06-07, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such is the life of the boss . . . while tempting, I don't want the rest of my crew showing up "whenever"!
Old 07-06-07, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
If I had been that close and feeling that good, I would have been late to work.

Sounds like your next assault should be on a weekend. Go and conquer it!

+1, and on the way back down I would have stopped for ice cream. Sounds like you had a great ride, and I do wish you had taken some pictures. I'm starting to get my wander lust back again, and my wife is starting to say " I really do like it here". Thanks for the report, I'll really be anxious to get the next one.
Old 07-06-07, 05:59 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You da Man!!

I want to do this ride!!! What a great description and report. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Old 07-06-07, 06:08 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What's going on with this forum lately, everyone is blowing through goals like s**t through a goose. I've done 95 miles this week and feel like a slacker. Great job CP, like Larry says "git er done"
Old 07-06-07, 06:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Another sign of continued improvement and progress on the bike. Keep up the great riding.

Sounds like I need to put Grand Mesa on this list to check out one of these days.
Old 07-06-07, 07:09 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride report! Makes me want to do it!

Just curious, what time did you start, what time did you get back?
Old 07-06-07, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
If you rode 4-3/4 hours and still got to work on time, you must have arisen at 0-dark-thirty! You're one dedicated dude! For that much climbing, you had a good average.

That was a great report, and the Grand Mesa sounds like a piece of real estate worth hootin' and hollerin' about. Please do take the "Kodak" when you get the time and get to the top.
Old 07-06-07, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started the ride at 6:30 a.m. and was headed for the shower just past noon. Quick bite to eat and off to work at 1 p.m. I'm not a dedicated rider, I just had to be up at 5 a.m. to deliver my papers to the post office after the Fourth of July holiday. Rather than go back to bed, I opted to hop on the bike.

Definitely wanted to stop for ice cream, but settled for a peanut butter cookie from my stash for the homeward leg.

Thought of doing this ride on the Fourth of July, but spent the day canoeing on the Gunnison River -- saw a couple of river otters! Decided late Wednesday to do the Grand Mesa ride. Truly, I am blessed to live in western Colorado with incredible rides and plenty of other things to do in between.
Old 07-06-07, 10:43 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well done! And what a great report!

I haven't been up on the Grand Mesa since '78. We did it on horseback, too. I wonder how much more fun it would be on a bike?

Can't wait to read your "I made it to the top" post. Soon, CP, soon.