Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One year anniversary

Well today is my one year anniversary, and boy did it go by fast. Anyhow with the rheumatoid arthritis somewhat under control, and my crash at the end of March ( my ribs still hurt) and my wife having a stroke, doing very well, thank you. A bad bike fit and sore knees and saddle issues ( of course) I managed to get 3340 miles in for the year. It's not many miles compared to what you guys a use to doing, but I thought it was a pretty good start. Hopefully , this year I wont have as much excitement, but time will tell, and I'll just take it as it comes. I did learn a lot from the forums and I'd like to thank everyone that helped. Anyhow, happy and safe riding, and please, don't worry about fear. I knew a lot of people that worried about fear, when I was riding motorcycles, and it seemed that it made them worse riders. Anyhow I think I'll go for a ride, thank you, George.
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy anniversary!

I hope I can manage 3340 miles.....fantastic!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly

Happy anniversary!

I hope I can manage 3340 miles.....fantastic!
    Cause you can- Just forget the gardening- the washing- the house chores and get out and ride.

George- Well done on the milage and getting over the problems that to lesser people would have stopped them from riding. Now the arthritis- Has this improved due to riding- or some other factor?

Keep riding and keep the excitement related to riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam

+1 and well done.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy anniversary George.

Glad to hear the arthritis is under control, tell us all your secret.

Well done on the mileage too.

george ( 2)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you've had such a bad year, George, but glad to see you working through it. I hope the ribs feel better soon! ((gentle hugs))

And you may borrow my favorite mantra anytime: "And this, too, shall pass...."

Keep riding! There's a strange holistic healing that comes from riding a bike.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Cause you can- Just forget the gardening- the washing- the house chores and get out and ride.

George- Well done on the milage and getting over the problems that to lesser people would have stopped them from riding. Now the arthritis- Has this improved due to riding- or some other factor?

I think the main factor was getting on Glucosamine/Chondroitin, it took about 3 months to get the full benefit from it. I asked the doctor about it and she said the G/C was good for osteo, but not Rheumatoid, which I'm on Methotrexate and Naproxen. I guess you could say I'm doping, but it works. After everything got squared away, I was able to start working out the way I like too. I feel this last week, with that Serfas saddle, I was able to put more power out, but with the set back seat post I have coming I'm going to try the Brooks again ( I'm into masochism). After a 35 mile ride yesterday the Serfas started to give me saddle sores, no good. I thought I had a ace in the hole, but now that, that is gone, I'm really hoping that the new seatpost works. Anyhow thanks for the encouragement and well wishes, George
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy anniversary.

35 miles and saddle sores? Something is wrong. Shorts? Cream? Powder? Getting off the saddle every ten or less minutes?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Happy anniversary.

35 miles and saddle sores? Something is wrong. Shorts? Cream? Powder? Getting off the saddle every ten or less minutes?
    Thanks Will, I'm glad you mentioned about getting out of the saddle more. If I'm spinning, how do you guys get out of the saddle? I remember when we were kids with a single speed, going into the wind, we had to stand up, but we had a lot of pressure on the pedals. Do you go into a bigger gear?
    George

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, I have tears in my eyes after reading your post. You're an inspiration. I wish you and your wife a healthy year ahead. And, Happy Anniversary!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3340 miles in your first year is an amazing achievement. I haven't exceeded 2,400 miles in one year yet. And I ride a white bike.

So congratutions and here's hoping you find a happy ending for that saddle problem!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3340 miles in year? Why, sir, if I was wearing a hat it would be off to you.
    Keep on keepin' on.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    3340 miles in your first year is an amazing achievement. I haven't exceeded 2,400 miles in one year yet. And I ride a white bike.

The white bike is the problem

My old black bike had 2400+ on it last year and I think the new black bike is going to surpass that mark this year. Hmmmm...wonder what another new black bike would do for me
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old black bike had 2400+ on it last year and I think the new black bike is going to surpass that mark this year. Hmmmm...wonder what another new black bike would do for me
    White is already so last year. We need gold, or copper, or whatever the heck stapfam is getting.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Thanks Will, I'm glad you mentioned about getting out of the saddle more. If I'm spinning, how do you guys get out of the saddle? I remember when we were kids with a single speed, going into the wind, we had to stand up, but we had a lot of pressure on the pedals. Do you go into a bigger gear?
    I shift up one or two gears before coming out of the saddle on hills, but sometimes I just need to come out of the saddle for comfort, and so will choose a fairly flat stretch, and go up to nearly my tallest gear and gently "lope" along at a fairly low cadence, enjoying the respite and increased blood flow for maybe two tenths to a quarter of a mile. Then I sit and gear back down. Seems to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go George. Your enthusiasm has helped inspire me.

After all these years, my motivation sometimes needs to be jumped started, and your posts help.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're the man, George. Got me beat by 3,000 miles, give or take a few miles.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3350 beats my total. Congrats on completing a good cycling year. Everything else sounds like its under control. Maybe year 2 will have all positives!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say that too... you need a black bike, and a pink helmet.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cogratulations! Do you think the cycling is actually helping* the arthritis, or is it unrelated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do 6000 miles a year now, but it took a long time to ge to that number. Your first year is great, George!

Zipper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good goin, George. 3340 is a mess of miles, particularly given that a whole lot of them had to be ridden in a Texas' summer. And I don't ever remember Katy as a destination spot for folks seek relief from summer weather.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fabulous, George, congrats......I think that as we get older, we ought to get a factor to improve our mileage...you know, like a 10% or 15% extra credit for each decade over 50...what do you think?

I wish I had your fortitude and strength of character to make it through such tough times and to keep on keeping on. My hat (and loafers) are off to you.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, for all the encouragement, and guess what, the setback seatpost came in the mail today, and what a difference. I pushed it all the way back, and my knee is right where it's suppose to be. It really something what 3/4 of an inch will do. If anything else it sure made me happy. Now I'll have to give an update on what that little bit will do. You probably know already, but I'll tell you anyhow.
    George

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    Keep riding! There's a strange holistic healing that comes from riding a bike.
    Amen. I get misty thinking about all the things biking has helped me through.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast