I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding with or through pain...

I was getting ready for today's ride, when out of the blue my back seized up on me as I bent over (seated) to tie my shoes. What the heck???

Anyway, I could hobble, so I decided to ride (slowly) and see if I could ride through it, perhaps loosen it, et.

I managed twenty miles, and it wasn't too bad, except stopping for traffic signals. When I got home, getting OFF the bike was a real struggle, and I sort of limped into the house, my back sending red flares skyward. It was actually easier to ride than to walk. Now I'm hobbling about.

So I got to thinking on the ride about playing with pain, or riding with pain, and how to know when one should draw the line, and stay off the bike, and when it might actually be therapeutic to ride (with care, no hammering, etc.), and when it doesn't much matter one way or the other.

I did get a ride in, and met a monthly mileage goal. Now I'm headed off to a hot bath and epson salts.

Any wisdom out there?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I was in that state and found the only comfortable place was on a bike. Even when we stopped for Coffee- I could not wait to start riding again as the back hurt so much.

Then in 2003- I was on a long ride and 20 miles from the end- I thought I had been hit by a stone on the calf- It wasn't as I had just pulled a muscle. We stopped for a while and the pain just got worse. Me and Stuart got back on the tandem only to find that Stuart had a neck problem. Cycled through the pain and we finished the ride and sat down for a well earned coffee. That was it- 10 minutes of sitting down and we were crocked completely.

The other riders took one look at us trying to hobble to the car and vowed they were never even going to think about riding a Tandem. No matter how fast we had been on the ride.

Now if you hadn't put that summer air in the tyres- You may have had a friendly rider catch you, take pity on you and offer to give you a massage-And I am not talking about the houseboy again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streching makes a huge difference, even if you don't notice the benefits. (IE, prevention rarely reveals it's reward.)

I would not push through pain...not at my (our) age.

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two surgical procedures on my lower back, on disability, pain always...............I don't care..no one else should........and my bike time takes all pain away.

I ride a awesome 2.45 mile loop approx. 7-9x's at roughly 20mph average. Pain masks pain you already had.

Besides my Tommaso does'nt complain when sprinting up hills or ripping through an apex at 25 on the speedo.

Good luck, hope you feel better

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I have to spend time in the gym before I do anything. For my back I do seated rowing (among other things). I start with one plate, go in once a week, and add a plate a week. Last week I was feeling hot and jumped from 100 to 130. That was a good day.

2) I have had a bunch of back injuries, you need to settle the thing down before you can rehab. I have been through this so many times I could do it in my sleep.
    But I don't know what you are dealing with. But your core muscles need to be strong. It may take a while, but you can get there. I have on a number of occasions been unable to pick stuff off the floor.

3) Go see a Doc, tell him you need some physical therapy. The PT can get you started.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Streching makes a huge difference, even if you don't notice the benefits. (IE, prevention rarely reveals it's reward.)

I would not push through pain...not at my (our) age.
    Bump
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I took a hot bath with epsom salts, and woke up an hour later in freezing water. My back hurts. Maybe it's all related to other back problems I've had, it just felt different. Kind of like it just seized up on me. Without cause -- I mean, c'mon, I was bending over (from a seated position, no less) to tie my freakin' shoe!

I have a whole regimen of back exercises I have to do once in a while when my disc starts barking. I guess it's time to do them again.

For those of you with back troubles, check this guy out. I went through the program ten years ago and he saved me from back surgery.

This guy KNOWS back pain!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding with this for 2 months now. I had surgery on the small toe and it's still not healed up. It looks a lot better than it did http://i19.tinypic.com/4uxe6f8.jpg. Seeif that comes out.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My back seemed to go out every year and I just had to wait it out. Soaking helped alot, but what I found, is laying on my stomach, grabbing my ankles and keep holding it. I hope something works, good luck Gary. Hey about those golden years, we got to talk.
    George

Fun in the tub, no ring! mrbubl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similiar situation and saw an accupuncturist who is an adventure racer too. She told me I had shifted my pelvis forward from all the riding had been doing and she showed me some exercises that helped in addition to the needle treatment. Left there that day walking upright, no pain and now whenever i feel the pain coming on i do the stretching she recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding with pain is different than riding with an injury. I have chronic pain that I must deal with to ride, but any new pains, get treated like an injury.... That, is until I know otherwise.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing that I sound like a religious convert, get to a gym and
    work your core. Get instruction. When they ask about your goals
    at least one should be protection from injury. Over specializing
    (bike only) is unhealthy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is lots lots better
    than nothing.

end_rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    Riding with pain is different than riding with an injury. I have chronic pain that I must deal with to ride, but any new pains, get treated like an injury.... That, is until I know otherwise.
    Agree. I don't know if I'm just younger than some of you (meaning that my time will come), or just luckier. I have no chronic physical issues - never ever had my back "go out" from some trivial movement that would seem to be unrelated to injury.

I have had my share of bike accidents (more than my share lately . . . has my style changed, my level of caution, or is it just coincidence?). Broke a bone in my lower arm about four years ago (that became quite painful). I followed the doctor's advice and the therapist's advice to make certain I did no heavy lifting with that arm until they told me that bone healing was sufficient. I did not heed their advice to stay off my bike, however. It was painful and a bit wierd to favor one arm as I rode, but ride I did, and I believe it was beneficial to me physically and mentally.

Recently, I fell and injured my left shoulder and felt a lot of pain in the shoulder and collar bone area. I'm not really big on doctors, so, decided to self-observe for a couple of days. Things were quite painful at first. Couldn't lean against the back of a chair, get up or down, or lay on a sofa without excruciating pain the first two days. By the third day, things were still painful, but, just a little less so. I took this as a clue that nothing was actually broken - and there was never any swelling.

Pain or no, I rode a little even from the first day . . . more as I could tolerate it.

That was five weeks ago. Today, the pain is but a phantom. I have full mobility and feeling good.

Last spring, some lady right-hooked me. I managed to get the bike turned so that I didn't crash into her perpendicularly, but, crash into her I did, and must have tangled with her right rear view mirror in the process, as my left arm was badly bruised its entire length, and almost immediately it swelled to twice its size. That accident was severe enough that authorities were on the scene and sent my bike home in a squad car and me to the hospital in an ambulance.

A battery of x-rays revealed no broken bones, so I was prescribed some pain medication and sent home.

The pain was phenomenal, but, I made it a point to ride my bike the next day, and the next, and the next.

The arm hurt, but got better . . . a little each day. I never filled the prescription for pain medication.

My methods of dealing with pain probably aren't for everyone . . . and I would never criticise someone else for reacting to messages of pain from their own body as they see fit. What I do works for me . . . and, again, as I stated previously, this body, thankfully, knows no form of chronic pain - no arthritis, no nagging sports injuries, etc.

For that, I can only be grateful to powers beyond my comprehension.

Caruso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by head_wind
    Knowing that I sound like a religious convert, get to a gym and
    work your core. Get instruction. When they ask about your goals
    at least one should be protection from injury. Over specializing
    (bike only) is unhealthy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is lots lots better
    than nothing.

end_rant
    I wish I had a different tone when I replied yesterday. I haven't
    been on the bike since May with a shoulder injury and my holier-
    than-thou rant was out of place.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    QUOTE FROM DIGITAL GEE
    "I've got women LINED UP to testify that I'm a stud. I don't need no stinkin' Garmin..."

If you down in your back, that lines gonna get real short real soon.

Get well Soon!!