Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Get Bent (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/317891-get-bent.html)

Artkansas 07-06-07 05:10 PM

Get Bent

I've decided to get bent.

I really want a Lightning P38 or a Longbike Eliminator, sigh.

http://www.lightningbikes.com/sp38leq.jpghttp://www.longbikes.com/EliminatorIndexW.jpg

I can dream........But, back to reality...

My criterion were...

Over Seat Steering - for good low speed control
Short wheel base - so that it would fit on the bike rack of a bus
Low gears - West Little Rock is nothing but hills
Low cost - forget the P38 and Eliminator...
Quality for the money.

My intended use was commuting and day trips on the weekend. Hopefully 40-80 miles in length.

The two finalists are the Actionbent Jet Stream 1 and the Bacchetta Giro 20. They are both yellow(sorry Gary), both have a 26" wheel in back and a 20" wheel in the front. Both are over seat steering. Their low gears are about the same, but the Bacchetta has a slightly higher top end.

http://www.actionbent.com/sitebuilde...er-365x256.jpg

Jet Stream
Cost - $700
Frame Warranty - 3 yrs
Rear rack - Avail
Mid rack - no
Kickstand - Avail
Fenders - 3rd Party
Assembled - No

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/images...giro20_med.jpg

Giro 20
Cost - $1350.00
Frame Warranty - Lifetime
Rear rack - Avail
Mid rack - Avail
Kickstand - Avail
Fenders - Avail
Assembled - Yes

One of my big concerns is theft. I have to ask myself if I feel safe parking it outside of B of A or Kroger while I go in. Of the two nice bikes I've had, a Centurion Pro Tour and an Bianchi Eros, one got stolen out from under me and one was stolen out of a locked garage. Since then, I have tended to only get what I can afford to lose and lock it up well.

Mind you, there is no room in my apartment for this bike, but I won't worry about that now. However, I do wonder about some of my neighbors in the apartment complex, but that feeds back to the last paragraph.

It seems to me that the Jet Stream leads in the area of affordability and suffers in having to be put together, which doesn't bother me much.

The Giro leads in being assembled and fitted, more accessories available and the seat looks a little better. Also there is the issue of being friends with the LBS, who helps out with some of our bicycle advocacy functions, and the owner is a Bacchetta owner and rider, so it's networking too.

That one is priced almost 2x as much and that I will have to pay sales taxes on the higher priced one, but shipping on the lower priced one is probably a washout.

So what are your thoughts?

card 07-06-07 05:18 PM

I loved riding my bents (Cannondale and Bachetta Strada) but the hills around here killed me. I went back to diamond frames. Outside of the hills, the only problem I had was recumbent butt (thats when you ride a long ways and the blood pools in one place). At first, I experienced some foot numbness on the Bachetta due to the high foot position I was not used to.

Now, having said all that,...........................

I'm looking at the Rans and Gold Rush or Tour Easy bents. I already have the long rail for my Yakima. And, I have a BMW motorcycle that I don't ride much that would scratch the itch.

I've met a lot of the Bachetta guys at Hoter N Hell 100 and they are good guys and their support was excellent. I can't say anything for the others because I have had no contact. I have ridden the P38 and was not impressed--hence, I bought a Strada.

Digital Gee 07-06-07 05:49 PM

You could get the Jet Stream, and with the money you've saved, have the frame painted a blistering fast WHITE. :D

Although, the yellow is kinda purdy, now that I think of it.

SSP 07-06-07 07:24 PM

When they pry my cold dead fingers out of the drops...

And, FWIW, I've never seen a 'bent rider that good looking! She doesn't have the glasses, full beard, baggy shorts, and Birkenstocks...I think she's a bent poseur!

Dchiefransom 07-06-07 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by SSP

And, FWIW, I've never seen a 'bent rider that good looking! She doesn't have the glasses, full beard, baggy shorts, and Birkenstocks...I think she's a bent poseur!

That's the wife of the owner of Lightning Cycling Dynamics.;)

I'd seriously think about the Bachetta. They have a dealer network and a solid background. On the other hand, anything on a 'bent can be replaced by a local LBS with a good mechanic. The parts are regular bike, on a different style frame.

stapfam 07-07-07 01:16 AM

I keep my bikes in a shed and use a top quality Chain and D Lock to secure them to the floor. (Great big Hook built into the foundations- under the flooring) I also have the shed alarmed.

Now as to why you should get a bent out of choice is beyond me but it is your choice and your back.

Woodlark 07-07-07 05:40 AM

These anti-bent people don't know what they are missing. I tried uprights and decided I didn't like pain. Simply based on the problems with customer support that I have heard about Actionbent, I would be a little leery there. I just bought a Bachetta Cafe', and so far Bacchetta has really impressed me with their treatment of their customers. Only you can decide if the customer support is worth the (admittedly) big difference in price.:)

bentnail 07-07-07 06:12 AM

I've got over 10,000 miles of commuteing on my bent. I ride a Barcroft "Dakota" which is a SWB bike. If the seats on the DF's are so comfortable why are not all seats we sit on built like DF seats ? I think you will find the bent will be a little slower but you and your body will be much happer....... Let us know what you get. You might go to Bentrideronline.com for tons of information. Good luck

bobkat 07-07-07 06:13 AM

I'm like Stepfam except that I can't understand why someone would ride an upright out of choice, unless you are a Lance wannabe or off road mountain biker! Heh!
I'd go with the Barchetta any day. Well worth the extra money! A no brainer!
You should put this question on the bent forum so you might get a more bent knowlegible crowd's opinions.

SSP 07-07-07 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by bobkat
I'm like Stepfam except that I can't understand why someone would ride an upright out of choice, unless you are a Lance wannabe or off road mountain biker! Heh!

Several reasons:

1) Speed.

2) Better hill climbing and descending capabilities.

3) A desire to ride in a manly aggressive "wolf chasing his prey" riding position, as opposed to the submissive "puppy on his back in surrender mode" position of the bent (tongue only partly in cheek...).

4) Better visibility in traffic.

5) Speed.

FWIW, I've not had any of the pain issues that bent riders sometimes mention.

That said, some of the fully faired HPV bents look intriguing with respect to issues 1 and 5. I saw a video recently of an enclosed tricycle bent with part-time electric power assist that's in use as a commuter in Portland, Oregon...looked very efficient and cool. If only it wasn't so short.

cccorlew 07-07-07 08:20 AM

I wear lycra
I wear stupid shirts with pockets in the back
I wear shoes I can't walk in because of the cleats
I wear a mushroom hat

But a 'bent? Now that's going too far. I don't want to look weird.

spry 07-07-07 09:07 AM

Invest in a hockey helmet face cage.At the lower seating level of a bent, your nose is fair game for even an angry toy poodle.

CrossChain 07-07-07 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by SSP

LOL:D Well, I gotta admit that that description sorta fits. Add a curved stem pipe that our local home-made bent rider never seems to go cycling without, and SSP has nailed it.

bobkat 07-07-07 09:35 AM

Haven't had a problem with a toy poodle yet, but got smacked in the face with a BIG juicy grasshopper a couple of days ago. Inhaled part of the darned thing!
And a seagull dropped a "bomb" on my visor a couple weeks ago crossing a long causeway! Glad I had on my extended bent visor!

Artkansas 07-07-07 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SSP

I think you should see a doctor. That's letting the hand numbness get a bit too much. Perhaps some padded brake hoods or having the bike fitted at your LBS might help.

Originally Posted by SSP

Gotta admit. She has a good pose. I thought the P38 came with her. well darn. So I have to let my goatee expand, get baggy shorts and Birkies? Hmm. I never was good on accessorizing.

Dogbait 07-07-07 12:08 PM

I would suggest that you check out the Bentrider Online message board. there are a lot of folks there who have ridden both brands and can give you a comparison.

There is also a Bacchetta forum that is visited often by the folks who run the company. Don't expect much sympathy for Actionbent there but it has a wealth of information that is useful whatever you ride.

On both boards, you will find a number of nonsense posts that will rival the demogoguery of the most rabid upright bike zealots on Bike Forums. It just comes from a different perspective.*

*see also: Ford/Chevy, Colt/Smith&Wesson, Apple/IBM, Windows/Linux, Shimano/Campagnolo, etc. etc. etc....

MNBikeguy 07-07-07 12:25 PM

Bents....harrumph..
If I wanted to be THAT comfortable, I'd watch TV on the couch.. :D

Digital Gee 07-07-07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Bents....harrumph..
If I wanted to be THAT comfortable, I'd watch TV on the couch.. :D

I think there's a bent with a handlebar-mounted TV/DVD option on the market... :D

MNBikeguy 07-07-07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I think there's a bent with a handlebar-mounted TV/DVD option on the market... :D

Helmet mounted antenna? Or do you run it up that funny looking flag they have? :D

BlazingPedals 07-07-07 12:41 PM

No beard, no birks, no baggy shorts. But I tell my wife it's against my religion to shave more than once per weekend.

I originally got my first bent due to carpal tunnel pain, but it only took one ride to realize how much other pain is associated with an upright, even though it never registered at the time. On the bent I could just sit and go. Now I consider it a game to go to a local park which has a 7-mile road around a lake. The park is full of roadies training for various events, and I'll pass them and watch my mirror to see who tries to chase. If I get any takers, I'll string them along. Uphill, downhill, it doesn't matter; sooner or later they're toast. Most of them can only do 23-24 mph on the flats, but occasionally I'll get one that can do a long chase at nearly 30 mph before blowing up.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with yellow. In a scientific test about a month ago, it was proven that the top 3 colors were yellow, bare titanium, and carbon gray. I'm sure the engines had nothing to do with the results, it was all based on the bike color! Yeah! That's the ticket! The red and the white bikes were miles behind us. I think one of the fast bikes had white lettering, though, DG.

I think the Bacchetta is twice the bike as the Jetstream, but in this case the Jetstream might be the better choice. Not only is it less expensive in case it gets stolen, it's also more lockable since it's not a monotube. From what I've read, get the FRP upgrade seat because the stock seat is prone to breaking.

MNBikeguy 07-07-07 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
...I'll string them along. Uphill, downhill, it doesn't matter; sooner or later they're toast. Most of them can only do 23-24 mph on the flats, but occasionally I'll get one that can do a long chase at nearly 30 mph before blowing up....

So... that was you?
I thought I saw a snickner on your face. Not sure though.. My eyesight was getting blurry at that point.

Tom Bombadil 07-07-07 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Several reasons:

1) Speed.

2) Better hill climbing and descending capabilities.

5) Speed.

Numbers that I've seen have shown that bents are faster than uprights on both flats and downhills. If one lives in an area that doesn't have a lot of steep hills, there would be no reason to go with an upright for speed.

jab1362 07-07-07 02:21 PM

Go with the Giro 20,way better bike and if you decide to sell it just put it on Bentrider online. I have a Giro 26 and all the reasons stated above apply plus a bent rides much better into and with the wind. Once you get your legs and beat someone uphill you will never come back from the dark side. I'm now looking at lowracers, it never ends.

Joe

SSP 07-07-07 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Numbers that I've seen have shown that bents are faster than uprights on both flats and downhills. If one lives in an area that doesn't have a lot of steep hills, there would be no reason to go with an upright for speed.

I've heard that too...but, in my experience it's not been the case. Perhaps it's just the average bent rider, but in thousands of miles of participation in large group rides, I've never once been passed by a bent.

With their aerodynamic advantage, I don't doubt that a strong bent rider could drop me (as can strong riders on standard DF bikes).

I've heard they're fast downhill too, but I wonder about how well they handle on twisty descents. I suspect a skilled bent pilot could be faster on a long straight downhill, but doubt whether they can handle chicanes and tight steep switchbacks at speed.

Either way, I ride in the mountains, and thus have no plans to go feet first.

FlyingAnchor 07-07-07 06:36 PM

I own a Bacchetta and love it, but I do admit I am a slow poke and that is true no matter what I ride. :)
Would you rather hit something feet first or head first?
says ssp
Either way, I ride in the mountains, and thus have no plans to go feet first.