Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-07, 06:33 PM   #1
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommended Chain & Lock for breaks during rides

I'm dreading some of the club rides I'll be taking part in, because there will be occasion where club members will ride to a breakfast place for a meal, and the bikes may or may not be in plain sight through the window while we eat.

For occasions where you're away from the bike for up to a half-hour, what are some recommended locking devices for securing your bike?

I'm also wondering ... is there is a typical weight of the lock & chain ... that people tolerate toting around during either solo rides or club rides?
Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 07:53 PM   #2
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I'm using a simple combo lock on a coiled cable, with the Master Lock brandname, that I picked up at Wally World for $3. I saw a Trek labeled lock that looked exactly like it in a store for $8. I coil it around my seatpost.

It's a low security lock that I probably wouldn't use on an expensive bike. But it is a lock and one can see that the bike is locked up, so it would stop the quick "grab and run" thieves.

Since pretty much all of my stops are in small rural towns, I think it is sufficient.

I was in a town this past week, Cedarburg WI, where there were no bike racks & so everyone was leaning their bikes up against trees & buildings, or just resting on kickstands. I walked past around 15 bikes and didn't see a single one that was locked up. Most of them were Giant & Treks too, not many Huffy's.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 08:33 PM   #3
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If it's not in sight, I would get a Kryptonite U-lock to lock the frame and back wheel to something solid. Use a short cable lock to secure the front wheel to the frame. Even if they break the U-lock, they are guaranteed with a refund from the company of varying amounts. like $2,250-$3,000. I'll be getting one later this year.
Old 07-06-07, 08:56 PM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
When I was a club rider riding the breakfast/lunch rides, I never used a lock. Yes, I did worry sometimes but luckily never had a problem with theft. Some wiser but weight conscious riders used ski locks. They are quite light and easy to carry and seemed to ease the minds of those who used them. Of course they are only good for stopping "grab and run" theives, as TB mentioned, a pro could probably cut them in a second or less.

http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product180.html
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 01:05 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Choose the Cafe's better- The only way to secure your bike is to have your hand or your butt on it.

If I do have to stop and have to leave the bike- Take the front wheel with you.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:27 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I seldom do anything. Neither do the vast majority of the people that I ride with.

I used to think that I was full of fear and worry until I started reading the internet bulletin boards. Geez! I'm utterly amazed at the amount of stuff that some people find necessary to carry with them on every ride.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 06:20 AM   #7
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
We never lock up a bike up here in ND and have so far never heard of anyone losing a bike but while traveling I remember this topic on the forums so I do have a combination coiled cable lock that I use, but probably only stops the grab and run crowd. Stepfam's idea of taking the front wheel off is a good one and one I never heard before.
I use the Yakima locks on the racks and also add cable lock around both bikes and the racks with the locking mechanism in the center of the pickup to make it more difficult for someone to pick, or at least slow them down and make them think twice.
bobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:25 AM   #8
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Don't lock 'em here. But we usually don't stop either.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:47 AM   #9
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
+1 for the ski locks...they're small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, and you can easily lock up 3 or 4 bikes with one. Especially when riding with groups, they provide a bit of security against "grab and ride" theft.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 09:33 AM   #10
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
On a group ride, you don't need perfect security. You just need better than the other riders. Thieves are looking for easy money. If there are bikes that are unlocked, and bikes that have even flimsy locks, they'll tend to go for the unlocked bikes.
NotAsFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 02:20 PM   #11
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
When I lived in west Los Angeles and attended UCLA, I carried a big case-hardened steel chain with an Abus diskus or other heavy-duty lock. When my son attended high school, I got him a Kryptonite lock for his mountain bike. Since I live in an extremely low-crime area and leave the bike unattended only briefly, I use a basic lightweight cable with my Abus lock, substituting a heavy cable for visits to UCSD.

The only bike which gets left unattended for any appreciable length of time is the UO-8 beater. Fortunately, every one of my bikes is unique, which could help with identification and recovery, but which may or may not be a deterrent.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 02:42 PM   #12
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
+1, Same here. The only time I stop at a cafe is during the International BF 50+Forum Ride For Pie. Then I use a Kryptonite cable lock. During our vacation this year, I may be storing a bike in plain view from the street, I'll use the same Kryptonite lock. I like cable because I can secure both wheels and the frame. Can't do that with a U-lock unless you remove the front wheel.
Old 07-07-07, 10:56 PM   #13
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Paranoia is the reason all bikes weigh 25 pounds. If you have a 25-pound bike, you don't lock it at all. A 23-pound bike takes a two-pound lock. Get a 15-pound bike, and you need a big motorcycle chain and a lock as big as a road apple.
Generally on group rides (with bikes ranging way upward from my Rambouillet), we don't lock up at all. If we do, we hook together as many identical cable-combination locks as we need (all with the same combination, a date we can all remember) to go through all the frames. The locks are less than $20 at REI. By myself, I use a light Kryptonite cable, also w/combo lock. and leave the bike where I can see it. I'd rather sit with the bike than carry a heavy-ass security device.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 06:13 AM   #14
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Shoot, jppe doesn't even lock his van at a public parking lot when he goes for a multi-hour ride. Different levels of honesty and trust in different parts of the country.

I had my Kryptonite locked Jamis stolen from a bike rack at the George Washington University campus med center--thief broke the bike rack. Make sure that the bike and lock are secured to something pretty substantial.
Old 07-08-07, 08:11 AM   #15
gear

Bikes:
Breaks?
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 11:55 AM   #16
g7777777

Bikes:
go to walmart- they have several cheap- the easiest to fit in a bag is one with the multiple number combination on the cable itself
g7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 03:31 PM   #17
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Any cheap lock is a deterrent.
Locked up our tandem onetime when one of the know-it-all riders said . . . 'I can steal your tandem in less than 3 minutes with that chintzy lock/cable.'
Told him, "I'm timing you as of right now. If you can steal our tandem . . . it's yours'.
Got lotsa sputterings and saying of 'well if I had a cable cutter . . .'
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 07:19 PM   #18
roadiespinner

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
For something to slow the theives down, until you can chamber a round in the 9mm, try REI for an On Guard lock. They make a small combination cable lock which has a straight cable rather than coiled. I find the coiled a pain to use and store in the bike bag. You can set the 4 digit combination to what ever you please and you can store it easily. About $10.
roadiespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 07:22 PM   #19
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
The coil is to make it easy to keep it around your seat post or top tube. I keep mine on my seat post and never notice it being there while riding.
Old 07-08-07, 09:26 PM   #20
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Glad to find out this discussion has nothing to do with brakes.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 03:07 PM   #21
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I'll be getting one later this year.
Like for a Birthday Present? I peeked at your profile. Happy 54th!!!! That calls for some pie!

Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 12:03 AM   #22
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadiespinner
For something to slow the theives down, until you can chamber a round in the 9mm, try REI for an On Guard lock. They make a small combination cable lock which has a straight cable rather than coiled. I find the coiled a pain to use and store in the bike bag. You can set the 4 digit combination to what ever you please and you can store it easily. About $10.
I will sometimes carry a cable-type trigger lock. Doesn't coil, fits neatly in a jersey pocket. Primarily a deterrent, especially when "Smith & Wesson" is plainly visible on the lock...

(btw, most serious handgun owners will use a 1911 ACP rechambered for .40 cal S&W. Way more stopping power than a 9 mil (and more magazine capacity than a .45). And you thought Canadians were gun control wusses...)

- L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 12:17 AM   #23
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
(btw, most serious handgun owners will use a 1911 ACP rechambered for .40 cal S&W. Way more stopping power than a 9 mil (and more magazine capacity than a .45).
Now there's a couple of sentences that read pretty much like gibberish to me.

Which works better with a 1911 ACP, a 26.8 or 27.2 seat post, or would it be a 26.0 shimmed out to 27.2?
Old 07-10-07, 12:43 AM   #24
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

A lock would not have helped this guy

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/370322044.html
Old 07-10-07, 07:03 AM   #25
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
When riding in groups, make sure that a couple of guys are on bikes that are a lot more expensive than yours.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote