Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to fit ballast on the BIKE!!!!

Just picked up the Boreas and taken it for a spin from the shop. Don't have a great deal of time to sort it today so just in case anything had to be changed- I did a 10mile ride for a Coffee and pie from the shop.

Pics will follow so you'll have to wait a bit. Impressions of the bike-Incredibly light- The wheels are very stiff and with 140psi in the tyres- they could have sent a lot of feel through to the Butt and Shoulders. I did not feel any road shock due to the C.F. Forks and seat stem. Took it up a respectable hill and that compact is going to take some getting used to. 34/27 is not as low as 30/26. Down the same hill- This thing rolls. I did the same as the giant- just rolling between the corners on the Zig-Zags but wheras on the giant I do not have to brake- I did on this one, but I found out how sticky the tyres are on the first corner.
    Now as to that ballast- If I am going to get a work out on this- I am going to have to be going uphill all the time. It takes no effort to pedal it on the flat whatsoever so 20lbs of ballast on the bike should slow me down a bit.

Oh and the pie was lemon meringue.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry about 20 pounds of ballast around my waist?

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there is a mtn.biker (Tinker Juarez), who mostly does 24 hr. mtn.bike races now. Read an article that one of his training methods was to fill a backpack with rocks and go riding. Sounds like fun!! Should slow you down just a bit and provide a workout!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a dirtboard and a tow rope. Tow one of your kids up the hill, then they can ride the dirtboard down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    20lbs of ballast on the bike should slow me down a bit.
    I think DG has some road dirt he'd part with for a song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fill the frame with concrete. It will feel just like your old one.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I manage to fit all the ballast I need right on the saddle.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have two helpings of pie after each ride. You'll have all the ballast you need before you know it.

(I'm onto your little game, by the way. You're just trying to make us jealous of your new bike. And, darn it, you're succeeding.)
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Colnago Arte, Giant OCR, Giant OCR WSD, KHS Tandem, Cannondale - OLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have heard/read where pro mechanics will fill the dwntube w/ ice to meet UCI rules at weigh-in...
    I like to use my kid's trailer, it'll hold a lot more weight than I like to train with.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the early wind trainers was a pair of "squirrel-cage" fans mounted on a roller that rested against the rear wheel. It was attached to the seat-post or saddle rails. It was used for indoor training while you were on rollers or had the front forks clamped to a stationary support. Put that on your bike. Or rig a drag brake like some tandems use for long, steep hills.
    This space open

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered one of those front wheel dynamos and a big battery pack and a nice light for night time riding? If you're wanting extra weight, you might as well get something useful out of it.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How bout a small parachute hanging out back?...........

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go twice as far in half the time.

Good workout!

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the bike. It is light- rolls easily and on the flat is effortless. Was disappointed in the Speed stakes though and checked out a few things. Wheel bearings and Crankset bearings are TIGHT. Untill they loosen up a bit- About another 200 miles should do it- I am going to have to put effort in on those pedals.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    The wheels are very stiff and with 140psi in the tyres- they could have sent a lot of feel through to the Butt and Shoulders.
    Hokey Smokes, to quote a cartooned flying rodent! Is that 140 pounds per square inch? I didn't know tire pressure went up that high. What kind of tires is the bike running on and how wide? What kind of portable air pump would you have to carry, to get the pressure around 140-psi if you have to fix a flat on the road?