User Tag List

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my Age Today

51.7 miles; longest previous ride was 36, but once I was 20 miles in to the ride, I decided to go for it - and I discovered that I feel pretty much the same after 50 miles as after 25 or 30. Of course, I just finished an hour ago, so we'll see.

The only problem is, my wife has become a cycling widow... I'd better stay home tomorrow (or finish my ride before she wakes up!)

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the great ride.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo!!!

And bring her some chocolate, and you'll be fine.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjac
    The only problem is, my wife has become a cycling widow... I'd better stay home tomorrow (or finish my ride before she wakes up!)

Rich
    Get her a credit card and send her out shopping. Make certain it is HER credit card though.

One of the unfortunate things about getting old(er) is that you cannot do what you used to be able to do---Except for ride your age rides. Bet you couldn't have done that 2 years ago.

Well done but spend some recovery time with the wife before she Throw your toys out of the pram.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another "rode my age". Nice going, congrats and well done.

Maybe we should have one "ride my age" day each year and all celebrate with a 50+ ride and a piece of pie.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good show! Nice 40% jump from your previous high.

I found the same thing as you. I felt almost exactly the same after 50 miles as I did at the 26 and 33 mile points on my ride. Very surprising.

Where were you riding?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Good show! Nice 40% jump from your previous high.

I found the same thing as you. I felt almost exactly the same after 50 miles as I did at the 26 and 33 mile points on my ride. Very surprising.

Where were you riding?
    I rode from home to the Glacial Drumlin trail (9 miles) then west on the trail until it becomes gravel in Dousman. I needed another 3 miles to get halfway to 51, so took to the roads - very nice riding around the Kettle Moraine area, where I followed a large group ride for a few miles.

This route is the first 22 miles of my intended ride from New Berlin to Madison - someday, maybe soon. That will be a 78 miler, so I will probably wait for cooler weather. I also need to start bringing food along on rides over 90 minutes or so.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point this year, I'm going to start on my end of Glacial Drumlin and ride east. Haven't been on it yet. It starts about 15 or so miles from my house.

If you did a 51 miler without a problem, then you likely have a 78-miler in you.

I was in Dousman, and Eagle, on Tuesday of this week.

I sometimes carry a Clif bar, but I almost never eat them. The same bar will be in my bag for 5-7 trips. I usually don't eat until I've been out about 3 hours, then I look for a restaurant.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    51.7 miles; I decided to go for it - and I discovered that I feel pretty much the same after 50 miles as after 25 or 30.
    Well done on the birthday ride. I think a lot of us are discovering that we can do a little more than we thought we could do.

Food/fluids are IMHO critical for longer rides. You should start experimenting with what works for you.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a great Birthday Ride!!!
    It sounds as though you are in pretty good shape right now. On a 78 mile ride you will probably feel a little additional fatigue setting in towards the end, but you should make it okay.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride and happy birthday. I know one thing, this riding your birthday thing, I'm not doing it when I'm 80.
    George

My Bikes
    Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of the same neck of the woods

Did a metric century in the Waterford area today with a few of the local clubs. Turning 58 on Monday so I had a few extra miles. Had a tour of the Waterford frame factory and saw some fine bikes. Rode with a lot of fione folks as well.

We cruised to the first rest stop at 17.5 mph average and relaxed the rest of the way for a 16 mph average for the ride. It probably got up to the lower 90's today but luckily we were done before that.

I feel great to be riding!

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. That's a significant jump from your previous distances. Did you feel like you were pacing yourself for the distance? I tried to take it easier when I rode my age in Lancaster Co., PA a couple of weeks ago. That's a great place to ride if you like open farmland and light traffic, although some of the horse-drawn traffic is intimidating to those not comfortable around large animals.
    Pray toward Heaven but row toward shore.

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have to confess - it's not my birthday, that's in November. That's why I made it 51.7 miles - 4 months to go to 52. Riding 52 miles around here in November is an iffy proposition at best.

I guess I learned something about this riding your age thing - on your birthday (light goes on) - I get it!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    Maybe we should have one "ride my age" day each year and all celebrate with a 50+ ride and a piece of pie.
    No, we should each ride on a separate day, and then everyone will celebrate each ride with pie.

Flying & Biking Member Rickochet's Avatar
    My Bikes
    TREK 2005 Navigator 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great!!! What tips do you have for those of us who have not accomplished that feat---yet?!!! That is my goal this summer.
    TREK 1.2
    TREK Navigator
    Giant MTB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I turned 50 today and I rode 50.8. I hope everyone had as great a day as I had today!

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fprest
    Hi all,
    I turned 50 today and I rode 50.8. I hope everyone had as great a day as I had today!
    That's terrific, and Happy Birthday! It was 96F here today, I hardly ventured out of the house. What a wimp I am.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrific, and Happy Birthday! It was 96F here today, I hardly ventured out of the house. What a wimp I am.
    +1

96, humid, with a hot wind blowing.

I didn't even think about going for a ride.

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a "ride my age" ride on my birthday yesterday. I'm now 58, and I did 62 miles. I didn't worry much about the time, just enjoyed the long ride. My wife joined me for lunch at a spot along the way, and rode 15 miles with me. I did all of it on the local bike path. The perfect weather played a big part in my decision to make the ride on my birthday. Sunny, light wind, temperature 65 to 75 degrees, low humidity. I don't know if I'll make it an annual event, but yesterday's ride will certainly will be memorable.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll chime in here too...did my 50/50 ride a couple of weeks ago. 50.9 miles to be exact. Ate a couple of Power Bars in the middle and lots of fluids. The last 10 miles about did me in since I'm just a daily 12-14 mile guy. Previously my longest was 21 miles...but only did that once. Started riding last September so I feel pretty good about this.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lion and Metric,
    Way to go. This is an important milestone and much of which to be proud. And even though our age gets greater, so do the rides. You will be doing 'Age rides' well into your 80s.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned it on another thread but I rode my age +1, 53, on Thursday. Four weeks ago my longest ride had been 27 miles. Then I rode 31, 33, 42, and then 53 on consecutive Thursdays. I also rode two to three times each week in between the longer rides. Thursday, the key to making it in the humidity was water, gatorade, Fig Newtons, and breaks. I really didn't feel any difference between the 27 mile ride and the 53 miler.

Going camping, biking, and golfing in two weeks in Door County, WI. Hope to do a circuit around the pennisula at least once. I think it is over 50 miles.