Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spectated Le Tour today

I'm always jealous of you guys and your fantastic rides. Living in Central London doesn't provide much enjoyable cycling. Except today....

Two stops on the 'Tube' (Subway) took me from my front door to Westminster, the heart of the action. It was amazing to witness those normally traffic choked streets transformed into a race circuit, to hear so much French spoken and to see the formal old Government buildings providing a dignified backdrop to the proceedings. The sun shone (we'd had about a month's continuous rain, until yesterday), Al-Queda stayed away and 1 million people didn't. They must have been outnumbered by the police though.

Incredible to see the ingenuity of the broadcast teams - a city of satellite dishes, hospitality bars and TV studios just assembled themselves out of truck trailers and joined a maze of giant LCD screens, inflatable podiums and advertising billboards.

Arriving about 6 hours early, I got to see the riders out and about checking the route. At that stage, the public could still ride most of the course. I saw a 'regular guy' accompanying most of T-Mobile up Whitehall - what a fantastic experience. I nearly went back for my own bike. You could get right up to the service buses and watch the mechanics working on the machines and the riders ensuring that it was done properly. Some of those guys are pretty picky... there were a lot of tape measures waving about.

What a fantastic day. Everyone was good humoured and London, that grimy grumpy old dog of a city, looked just beautiful. I was able to watch the very beginning and then, in 20 minutes, scoot home to see it all properly on the home theatre.

We Brits have not so far had much success in the Tour. Everyone today had hopes for David Millar (placed nowhere) and Brad Wiggins who was just eased out of 3rd place by George Hincapie. That Cancellara fellow can certainly ride a time trial - I mean, he just blew everyone else away.

Tomorrow, Stage 2 departs from historic Tower Bridge, passing equally historic South-East London (for example, the jetty from which the Mayflower set sail) and makes its way to Canterbury through green tranquil Kent....the 'Garden of England'.

I'm off to watch very early tomorrow morning. I'll try and post more pics if people are interested.

regards to all on 50+
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for a nice report and pix, abarkley. This gives us a local flavor that doesn't show up on the TV coverage.

I have to be going down a nice hill to be able to go as fast as those guys when they're cruising !

Good luck on tomorrow's outing. We'll be looking forward to pix and commentary.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report. You can bet we want more pictures
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would sure like to see that in person once. Years ago I use to follow the motorcycle circuit around, and it was alot of fun. Thanks for the report and pictures.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write-up and photos. Thanks, Abarkly. I recall when you were setting up your bike many months ago for city riding. Hope all turned out well?

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORE, MORE, MORE, yes please can we have some more, sir??? Great stuff, I, of course, hate you.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, more pictures, please! It looks like a beautiful day in London.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting!! The guy in the white shirt in the middle picture has an
    unusual fit with that TT helmet!! To fixate on a small item, I found
    your comment on tape measures very interesting. If you have more
    I am very interested. thanx,,,

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by head_wind
    Interesting!! The guy in the white shirt in the middle picture has an
    unusual fit with that TT helmet!!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the first hand reports. Keep them coming. Having experienced the Tour de Georgia up close each year I can only imagine how exciting the main event must be. I hope I'll get over there to follow it one of these years.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's such a treat to get first-hand reports and photos..... Please do post more and thanx!
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai