Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you are all sitting comfortably.

We cheated and drove up to the area of the 2nd King of the mountains hill and then rode in by bike. Got to the Village of Goudhurst and had a choice of spaces to stand at. By luck-I stood next to this Big Fella- Ray- And he was from my home town and was on my first Big ride way back in 92. We keep meeting up in various places and he reminded me that he was one of the group that rode out to the TDF in 94 when it last came to the UK. Still 5 hours before the Riders were to come through so I decided to walk around abit to see where the food and drinks were. Once again found some local people to me- only from about 10 miles from where I live and as they were about our age group- Took a pic of them. One of these frequently takes a bike over to the US and takes a trip across country. Trying to get the picture and I realised that I should not step back- I was on the edge of a Pond and was just about to cool off very quickly. On the way back up I saw this Omega Bike and I had to take a pic of it. Old school bike from a British builder and the rider had come down from London to see the hill. Only about 60 miles- but at least he had the youth to cycle home again afterwards.

Back to where My friends were and right opposite us were all these gents walking around in Boaters. (The hats.) There were the Pickwick Cycling Club, and the sign says it all. Now I don't know how he got here, or who he belongs to- but nothing to do with me- The houseboy's brother was here- Standing alongside the Pickwick club.

12 noon and the "Caravan" started. All the sponsors had floats in this parade and It went on for about 45 minutes. Freebies thrown out but as I had the camera- and I did not want to lose my position- All I got was a packet of Haribo sweets and I hate Haribo sweets. They are disgusting. That passed and right opposite us was a pub that was doing fantastic business. The landlady was up in her lounge on the first floor and she was watching TV and giving us reports of the ride. The like of which is as follows.

They have just done the first Mountain climb at Tonbridge

Who won it

I don't know- Hold on ---- A Blue one.

Not much information, and that information was wrong, but all part of the Ambience of the day.

Then the leader came through- There was a breakaway of 5 and as you can see- The crowds had built up a bit by this time. Millar-came past in 4th and If I thought the Noise was loud for the first 3- It was tremendous for Millar. Crowds cheering him on and banging on the Placards on the Barriers- It was fantastic. These 5 had a lead over the pelaton of 6 or 7 minutes and When they came through- It was deafening. 30 seconds and they were through and it was the team cars and the spare team cars and the spare cars for the team cars. Then the officials and it was over.

The Buzz wasn't though and it was time for the Crowds to wend their way home. No way- The pubs were open and everyone was on a high. Me and Martyn got on our bikes and Started back to the car- along with about 500 other cyclists. We continued on the TDF route and it was here that it was just open country side with Big houses. The tables and chairs were still at the end of the drive and so were the Occupants and friends that were still enjoying the last dozen or so bottles of wine that they had not drunk. We were being clapped and cheered for the 5 miles we were on the route- but it did get a bit wearing to be told that we were a bit behind the others by a bunch- or rather bunches- of highly enebriated revellers that were going to parrty on till the wine was gone.

Now the TDF is a ride to be experienced- I have now seen it 3 times and if I can manage it- I am going to see it again next year. It is Unbelievable. the atmosphere- The Ambience- the "Je ne sais quoi"- but it is somthing that all cyclists should experience once in their lifetime. Just a pity that The US has not yet made an application to get it to Visit across the water so you can all experience it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam - Great Pics!!
    I was watching today after my morning ride. It was a terrific finish!!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it must have been great fun.

I'm waiting for the exact route of the Tour of Missouri to be announced. It's likely to come right by my condo complex. If so, my wife and I may have to plan a party.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously cool. I wonder if they're ever have a leg of the TdF in Kentucky.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty more pics but I am afraid they will have to wait for another posting- And the report on the Boreas's first ride.
    In the mean time just 3 more to finish off the Pelaton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Plenty more pics but I am afraid they will have to wait for another posting- And the report on the Boreas's first ride.
    In the mean time just 3 more to finish off the Pelaton.
    Thanks so much for this first hand report, Stapfam. You did q better job than all the announcers on VS capturing the ambiance of the TdF....thanks from all of us enthusiasts here in the Colonies. You are one lucky duck!!!!! Great photos, can't wait for the rest of them.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great coverage, great pics, stap. Thanks for the up close and personal report.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. thank you, Thank you for the fantastic first hand report!
    Now if you would have got serious and peddled a bit faster after they went through you would have caught up , passed them, and You would have a YELLOW shirt!!! Yay Stepfam!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    Wow. thank you, Thank you for the fantastic first hand report!
    Now if you would have got serious and peddled a bit faster after they went through you would have caught up , passed them, and You would have a YELLOW shirt!!! Yay Stepfam!!!
    Got the yellow shirt but more of that later. I want and need a bath.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report stapfam, it looks like your having a ball.
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report and great pictures!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed it. thanx,,,,,

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam, thanks so much for the tale and photos. The better half and I feel as if we spent the afternoon at the race with you....well, sans the wine, of course. But we can pour a glass of wine this evening and read it again
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story StapFam!

And as I was watching the stage last night, and the Prolog the night before, one thing was obvious... you Brits sure know how to support a race!

It was wonderful to see so many people out cheering on the riders as they rode through the roads of Great Britain to start the TdF! Even at places that were relatively unimportant to the stage there were people lining the route cheering the riders on. No wonder it ended up being such a wonderful stage.

And the finish was worthy of the effort put in by the fans that poured their energy into it... If only one of the British riders could have avoided troubles and been there at the end to ride the wave of support... it could have been an even more magnificent ending.

Thanks for the first hand story of your experience.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Thank you sir.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.