Thread: Finding Time

My Bikes
    Raleigh Passage 3.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding Time

I managed to get in 20 miles Saturday, by doing laps on the local MUP. I would have done more, but alas there were other things that needed to be done. Between work, a hectic schedule, and the Florida weather, it is tough to get in enough riding time. I know I sound whiny, but how do you guys(and girls) deal with it?

John
    Slow but steady

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy, I just let most everything else go.

Seriously, though I found I did have some time to do some riding after work. But I gave up TV watching to do the other things that I should have done earlier. Sometimes that also means giving up BFN.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A person does what is most important to him.
    That makes no difference if it is work, riding, partying, eating, alcohol, drugs, women etc. etc............

When riding is more important, you will ride more.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will reach a point in your life where you realize that your mental and physical health overrides everything. Either that or you will decline fast. I have seen this in observing loved ones close to us and we were helpless. You either get it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a wind trainer. You can always find 45 minutes to blow yourself up on the trainer. Warm up, cool down and in between push like h*ll. A few of those and you'll be finding time to get out with breeze and the birds. Seriously, a trainer can be a sorta substitute when things interfere....and especially for those of us still working, that happens frequently. No matter how high a priority your riding is, a cold, a social engagement, your frickin' job, the rain, a sore eyeball....whatever will interrupt. A trainer allows you to stay a little consistent and can make you breathe hard and your legs feel used. Not the same as on the road, but better than on the recliner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the neighbors start complaining about the lawn then you know you've been on the bike too much.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found the time, lately. Would have liked to get a ride in yesterday, but the yard desperately needed some attention, so that took up just about the whole day. What that didn't take up, the horses did! So, no ride yesterday, but the yard looks good (takes a while to cut-the wife has lots of gardens to cut around) and got a lot done around the homestead. May have to go into a condo if I really want some ride time!

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grass is dead so that's not a problem . . .

I'm retired and still don't have enough time. Between bicycles, guitars, motorcycles, cars, sail boat, and cameras I don't know which way to turn. Something has to go. Anyone want to buy a sail boat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember years ago being in a time management class where the instructor said that most of didn't realize how much time we wasted everyday. One of the assignments for the class was to take a notebook and stop every half-hour to note what we spent the time doing. We were to do this for a full week. The average time wasted in the class with almost three hours per day.

Of course the definition of "wasted" was different for each student. Overall, however, the definition was to be simply time spent doing things that don't need to be done or in no way related to a priority one has.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem for July. I did 200 miles in June but may not make that. I have too many committments on weekends, mostly time wasters like weddings. It's very irritating. This past weekend I spend 11 hrs driving to go to a freakin engagement party. I do try hard to get in an hour everynight.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblejohn
    but how do you guys(and girls) deal with it?

John
    I still work (4 x 10) but manage to ride 5 days a week. My family knows I ride on the weekend so most family gatherings are usually scheduled after 1:00 pm to give Mamaw time to get home and showered. Other appointments such as dentist, doctor, car maintenance, etc are scheduled for the afternoon of my weekday off. I'm one of those list-makers and planners

Not too much gets done inside the house in the warmer months except the cleaning, laundry, etc. All painting and other similar projects are done in the winter. I own a double and give the occupants a reduction in rent in exchange for doing all the yard work and snow removal.

I've taken time managements courses and they really do help
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding lights to my bike for night riding helped me get my rides more regularly. Before the lighting I was confined to hours of daylight and those hours could too easily become scuttled by unexpected obligations. Once I could not fall asleep and got on the bike at 12:45 AM. for a ride that lasted until 2 AM.

It is easier to get my rides when my wife is out of town. There is no guilt about too little time spent with her.

A good time managment system is very helpful, but can do only so much. After you have become as efficient as you are going to get, you either have to say, "No." and refuse the obligation or you have to delegate it to someone else. If there are a lot of demands on you, there is a limit to free time you can find for cycling.

I did not ride for years because I believed I was too busy. Finally I decided it is something I would do for me. Many companies try to keep health insurance costs down by encouraging employees to exercise and take better care of themselves. I am a Lutheran pastor. The good news is that I set my own schedule. The bad news is that no matter how much I do, there are always many additional things I should have done yesterday or before. I decided I would take regular time for cycling as exercise. So far it has met with more "atta boy" comments than criticisms. But, the folks at church also have not yet discovered exactly what things I have been letting slide a bit. ;-) In my favor is that I have been here for twelve years and I have a fairly high level of trust as an asset.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your schedual and priorities will dictate what you get to do. For the past few years I have been able to ride 5 to 6 days a week on my time (let the lawn grow). This year my wife has been ill and the priorities have shifted. Riding will come back if and when the priority shifts back up on the available time list.

As with all things in life, do what feels best.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute on my bikes and use them for basic transportation. This also means I have a good set of lights, which in the summer time I use to extend recreation rides in the cool of the evening.

You could also forgo watering the lawn, then there's no need to cut it. However, in Utah, this could cause you to be beaten by police and thrown in jail. YMMV.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute by bike and also use a bike trailer for errands. The Adams Trail-A-Bike works well for transporting my daughter around. Between commuting and chores, I get in a lot of riding, much of it carrying sixty pounds or more.

Paul

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Get a wind trainer. You can always find 45 minutes to blow yourself up on the trainer. Warm up, cool down and in between push like h*ll. A few of those and you'll be finding time to get out with breeze and the birds. Seriously, a trainer can be a sorta substitute when things interfere....and especially for those of us still working, that happens frequently. No matter how high a priority your riding is, a cold, a social engagement, your frickin' job, the rain, a sore eyeball....whatever will interrupt. A trainer allows you to stay a little consistent and can make you breathe hard and your legs feel used. Not the same as on the road, but better than on the recliner.
    What is a good trainer? Anyone have any recommendations?

My issue is limited light... I swim in the ocean right after work... and there is not much daylight left... and as soon as daylight savings goes away... well I need an alternative.

The last "trainer" I rode was over 20 years ago and was a set of rollers. (long since sold) My wife will not use rollers... so I am thinking trainer.

Any recommendations?