Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydration lesson 101

I do this 50 mile run frequently in 3 hours on (3-4) .75 liter water bottles. I am 185# and 6 ft, no fat. This is at temperatures up to F95 and humidity above 50%.

My wife and I did this same run today. Temperature was F95, humidity 50%. BTW, she is 140# and 5'3".
    I made a mistake of not watching my wife. She does this same run often without a problem. I failed to observe that she drank over one gallon of water. She got very bloated after 35 miles and felt very ill. I mean very ill!
    We had to stop at a gas station to cool her off and feed her Gatorade. We managed to complete the ride slowly. She was OK one hour later and we had a nice dinner with wine.

The lesson to be remembered is: Do not drink one gallon of water without adding electrolytes. Your system may rebel and it is serious.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing something a little different lately. I usually take 2 bottles when I go riding, one has water and the other has Powerade or Gatorade and it seems to work pretty good. What my biggest fight is, getting off sugar.
    George

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean 50 mile ride rather than run, don't you?
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven
    I hope so. 50 miles in 3 hrs is nearly 17 mph, I couldn't do it if there is anything slightly resembling a hill on the route.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I've been doing something a little different lately. I usually take 2 bottles when I go riding, one has water and the other has Powerade or Gatorade and it seems to work pretty good. What my biggest fight is, getting off sugar.
    Yes George, that makes sense. We used to do that until we got a problem with the bottle for Gatorade creating stomach problems. It spoils rather quick on hot days and we forgot to dishwasher clean it.
    But, I agree that is a solution.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven
    Sorry, yes.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed
    I hope so. 50 miles in 3 hrs is nearly 17 mph, I couldn't do it if there is anything slightly resembling a hill on the route.
    Sugar River R to T is about as flat as flat can be. Our Tandem goes like hell. We make a sport of beating 3 hours and often do.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trail maps peg the mileage for the Sugar River Trail roundtrip as 46 miles, to split a hair. Do you add a few more miles in New Glarus or Brodhead to push it up to 50?

There was someone else on the forum last year who said they maintained an average of around 17.5 mph for the roundtrip.

I doubt I could do it in 4 hours, even if I was really trying.

Are there any lower sugar sports ade drinks? I stopped in Monticello the other day to pick up a drink and they had a sale on Powerade - 32 ounces for 94 cents. But if you drank the entire bottle, it had something like 50-60 grams of sugar in it. So I bought a 20 ounce bottle of Gatorade for 99 cents just to keep my sugar intake down.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Perpetuem" by Hammer makes a big deal out of having no sugar. I don't care for the taste much (orange vanilla), but I really haven't given it a fair shot.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also saw a Garmin readout on the Sugar River Trail that said the total elevation change over the entire 46 miles was 1550' (775' of climbing). That's an average of about 16' of climbing and 16' of descending per mile.

I have a "climb" of about 250' over the last 2.5 miles of trail and subdivision roads, with about 4/10ths of a mile at 5% right at the end. Gives me a little workout to finish up.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-09-07 at 10:07 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammer Heed has 2g of sugar per serving.
    It tastes fine too.
    I usually use Clif or Gatorade Endurance powder mixed a little thinner than recommended.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Yes George, that makes sense. We used to do that until we got a problem with the bottle for Gatorade creating stomach problems. It spoils rather quick on hot days and we forgot to dishwasher clean it.
    But, I agree that is a solution.
    I have the insulated water bottles for hot weather and this seems to help. I never put my bottles in the dishwasher since I seldom use it. I do fill the bottles with water and a teaspoon of bleach and let them soak. This helps to keep the mold from forming in the bottles. Be sure to rinse thoroughly....nothing nastier than bleach-flavored Gatorade
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    The trail maps peg the mileage for the Sugar River Trail roundtrip as 46 miles, to split a hair. Do you add a few more miles in New Glarus or Brodhead to push it up to 50?

There was someone else on the forum last year who said they maintained an average of around 17.5 mph for the roundtrip.

I doubt I could do it in 4 hours, even if I was really trying.....................................................
    Yes, we either add a few miles as you say or pro rate using our Cateye Astrale 8 average speed.
    Ever since we use skinny tires we find the 16.5 MPH average doable. That is the magic number for a century in 6 hours or 50 miles in 3 hours and is the required speed for the Cross Country Tour I like to do next spring.
    My Treck Hybrid has now 700 x 28 120 PSI tires. A average speed of 16.5 MPH is not at my maximum.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also saw a Garmin readout on the Sugar River Trail that said the total elevation change over the entire 46 miles was 1550' (775' of climbing). That's an average of about 17' of climbing and 17' of descending per mile................................................................................................ .
    That is interesting. I did not notice any grade on that trail. The wind direction and intensity seems more important. That is why I got aerobars on all my bikes.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I have the insulated water bottles for hot weather and this seems to help. I never put my bottles in the dishwasher since I seldom use it. I do fill the bottles with water and a teaspoon of bleach and let them soak. This helps to keep the mold from forming in the bottles. Be sure to rinse thoroughly....nothing nastier than bleach-flavored Gatorade
    My wife is really picky as to any taste. It would be next to impossible to do the trick with bleach.
    We can do and we will carry a bottle of Gatorade (or equivalent) on the bike and just trow the bottle away.
    A Tandem has many places to carry an extra bottle.
    Our mistake was more a mistake due to not thinking than a question of ability.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    +1, After 1 quart of water or 20 miles, whichever comes first I switch to Gatorade.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting. I did not notice any grade on that trail. The wind direction and intensity seems more important. That is why I got aerobars on all my bikes.
    With the average "climb" per mile being only 16', I'm not surprised you didn't notice any grade. The average grade would be +/- 0.3%.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat has been pretty brutal all over the US these last few weeks. Right now by me the temp is 90F and the dew point is 74F!! The relative temp is greater >100. Out west they have multiple days running >110, with conditions like these you have to be really careful and too much water is as bad too little.

Keep cool out there.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wisconsin is on the verge of a very nice cool-down. Wed-Sat in Madison, the temps are supposed to be highs in the mid-70s, lows in the mid-50s. It's 83 today.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wisconsin is on the verge of a very nice cool-down. Wed-Sat in Madison, the temps are supposed to be highs in the mid-70s, lows in the mid-50s. It's 83 today.
    I'd take the 83 as a good cool down for DC.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the average "climb" per mile being only 16', I'm not surprised you didn't notice any grade. The average grade would be +/- 0.3%.
    Yeah, I did this trail again today. I was thinking and looking for those 16' climb. I thought they must have measured the trees?
    BTW, I averaged 17.9 MPH going toward New Glarus. Going back I decided on a more leisurely pace.
    The 17.9 MPH required going with aerobars. The bumpy trail makes that hard on the family jewels. So I do that only to race someone or to check my PB average.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    The heat has been pretty brutal all over the US these last few weeks. Right now by me the temp is 90F and the dew point is 74F!! The relative temp is greater >100. Out west they have multiple days running >110, with conditions like these you have to be really careful and too much water is as bad too little.

Keep cool out there.
    That is so true but it is not common knowledge. I am not a Newbie biker and had to be reminded of that by my distressed wife.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I did this trail again today. I was thinking and looking for those 16' climb. I thought they must have measured the trees?
    BTW, I averaged 17.9 MPH going toward New Glarus.
    I'd have been out there with you, but had to go to work.

If we ever meet up in New Glarus, I'll try to keep up with you for a mile. I've done a mile before at close to 17. Then you can give me "the look" and drop me at your leisure.

As to the 16' of elevation gain over a mile. That would be hard to see or notice. That's slightly less than a foot over 100 yards.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any lower sugar sports ade drinks?
    I've used a mix EnduroMax (sp?) that's like CytoMax. It has the different sugar (dextrose perhaps), vitamins, and some protein. The protein is supposed to help endurance. It's lightly flavored and the sugar doesn't hit you as sweet as sucrose. I usually mix it half strength.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast