Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hydration lesson 101

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hydration lesson 101

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydration lesson 101

I do this 50 mile run frequently in 3 hours on (3-4) .75 liter water bottles. I am 185# and 6 ft, no fat. This is at temperatures up to F95 and humidity above 50%.

My wife and I did this same run today. Temperature was F95, humidity 50%. BTW, she is 140# and 5'3".
I made a mistake of not watching my wife. She does this same run often without a problem. I failed to observe that she drank over one gallon of water. She got very bloated after 35 miles and felt very ill. I mean very ill!
We had to stop at a gas station to cool her off and feed her Gatorade. We managed to complete the ride slowly. She was OK one hour later and we had a nice dinner with wine.

The lesson to be remembered is: Do not drink one gallon of water without adding electrolytes. Your system may rebel and it is serious.
Old 07-08-07, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've been doing something a little different lately. I usually take 2 bottles when I go riding, one has water and the other has Powerade or Gatorade and it seems to work pretty good. What my biggest fight is, getting off sugar.
Old 07-08-07, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
You mean 50 mile ride rather than run, don't you?
Old 07-08-07, 08:30 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I hope so. 50 miles in 3 hrs is nearly 17 mph, I couldn't do it if there is anything slightly resembling a hill on the route.
Old 07-08-07, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I've been doing something a little different lately. I usually take 2 bottles when I go riding, one has water and the other has Powerade or Gatorade and it seems to work pretty good. What my biggest fight is, getting off sugar.
Yes George, that makes sense. We used to do that until we got a problem with the bottle for Gatorade creating stomach problems. It spoils rather quick on hot days and we forgot to dishwasher clean it.
But, I agree that is a solution.
Old 07-08-07, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Sorry, yes.
Old 07-08-07, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by byte_speed
I hope so. 50 miles in 3 hrs is nearly 17 mph, I couldn't do it if there is anything slightly resembling a hill on the route.
Sugar River R to T is about as flat as flat can be. Our Tandem goes like hell. We make a sport of beating 3 hours and often do.
Old 07-08-07, 09:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The trail maps peg the mileage for the Sugar River Trail roundtrip as 46 miles, to split a hair. Do you add a few more miles in New Glarus or Brodhead to push it up to 50?

There was someone else on the forum last year who said they maintained an average of around 17.5 mph for the roundtrip.

I doubt I could do it in 4 hours, even if I was really trying.

Are there any lower sugar sports ade drinks? I stopped in Monticello the other day to pick up a drink and they had a sale on Powerade - 32 ounces for 94 cents. But if you drank the entire bottle, it had something like 50-60 grams of sugar in it. So I bought a 20 ounce bottle of Gatorade for 99 cents just to keep my sugar intake down.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-08-07, 09:54 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Perpetuem" by Hammer makes a big deal out of having no sugar. I don't care for the taste much (orange vanilla), but I really haven't given it a fair shot.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-08-07, 09:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also saw a Garmin readout on the Sugar River Trail that said the total elevation change over the entire 46 miles was 1550' (775' of climbing). That's an average of about 16' of climbing and 16' of descending per mile.

I have a "climb" of about 250' over the last 2.5 miles of trail and subdivision roads, with about 4/10ths of a mile at 5% right at the end. Gives me a little workout to finish up.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-09-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 10:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I shouldn't be looking for a real low sugar sports drink ...

https://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/h.../aa041103a.htm

https://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/n.../aa070703a.htm

https://www.weather.com/activities/he...hydration.html

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=50559

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-09-07, 06:07 AM

Bikes: Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammer Heed has 2g of sugar per serving.
It tastes fine too.
I usually use Clif or Gatorade Endurance powder mixed a little thinner than recommended.
Old 07-09-07, 07:00 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Yes George, that makes sense. We used to do that until we got a problem with the bottle for Gatorade creating stomach problems. It spoils rather quick on hot days and we forgot to dishwasher clean it.
But, I agree that is a solution.
I have the insulated water bottles for hot weather and this seems to help. I never put my bottles in the dishwasher since I seldom use it. I do fill the bottles with water and a teaspoon of bleach and let them soak. This helps to keep the mold from forming in the bottles. Be sure to rinse thoroughly....nothing nastier than bleach-flavored Gatorade

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-09-07, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
The trail maps peg the mileage for the Sugar River Trail roundtrip as 46 miles, to split a hair. Do you add a few more miles in New Glarus or Brodhead to push it up to 50?

There was someone else on the forum last year who said they maintained an average of around 17.5 mph for the roundtrip.

I doubt I could do it in 4 hours, even if I was really trying.....................................................
Yes, we either add a few miles as you say or pro rate using our Cateye Astrale 8 average speed.
Ever since we use skinny tires we find the 16.5 MPH average doable. That is the magic number for a century in 6 hours or 50 miles in 3 hours and is the required speed for the Cross Country Tour I like to do next spring.
My Treck Hybrid has now 700 x 28 120 PSI tires. A average speed of 16.5 MPH is not at my maximum.
Old 07-09-07, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also saw a Garmin readout on the Sugar River Trail that said the total elevation change over the entire 46 miles was 1550' (775' of climbing). That's an average of about 17' of climbing and 17' of descending per mile................................................................................................ .
That is interesting. I did not notice any grade on that trail. The wind direction and intensity seems more important. That is why I got aerobars on all my bikes.
Old 07-09-07, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I have the insulated water bottles for hot weather and this seems to help. I never put my bottles in the dishwasher since I seldom use it. I do fill the bottles with water and a teaspoon of bleach and let them soak. This helps to keep the mold from forming in the bottles. Be sure to rinse thoroughly....nothing nastier than bleach-flavored Gatorade
My wife is really picky as to any taste. It would be next to impossible to do the trick with bleach.
We can do and we will carry a bottle of Gatorade (or equivalent) on the bike and just trow the bottle away.
A Tandem has many places to carry an extra bottle.
Our mistake was more a mistake due to not thinking than a question of ability.
Old 07-09-07, 10:03 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by George
+1, After 1 quart of water or 20 miles, whichever comes first I switch to Gatorade.
Old 07-09-07, 10:07 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is interesting. I did not notice any grade on that trail. The wind direction and intensity seems more important. That is why I got aerobars on all my bikes.
With the average "climb" per mile being only 16', I'm not surprised you didn't notice any grade. The average grade would be +/- 0.3%.

Old 07-09-07, 01:12 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The heat has been pretty brutal all over the US these last few weeks. Right now by me the temp is 90F and the dew point is 74F!! The relative temp is greater >100. Out west they have multiple days running >110, with conditions like these you have to be really careful and too much water is as bad too little.

Keep cool out there.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-09-07, 02:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wisconsin is on the verge of a very nice cool-down. Wed-Sat in Madison, the temps are supposed to be highs in the mid-70s, lows in the mid-50s. It's 83 today.
Old 07-09-07, 02:25 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wisconsin is on the verge of a very nice cool-down. Wed-Sat in Madison, the temps are supposed to be highs in the mid-70s, lows in the mid-50s. It's 83 today.
I'd take the 83 as a good cool down for DC.
Old 07-09-07, 05:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the average "climb" per mile being only 16', I'm not surprised you didn't notice any grade. The average grade would be +/- 0.3%.
Yeah, I did this trail again today. I was thinking and looking for those 16' climb. I thought they must have measured the trees?
BTW, I averaged 17.9 MPH going toward New Glarus. Going back I decided on a more leisurely pace.
The 17.9 MPH required going with aerobars. The bumpy trail makes that hard on the family jewels. So I do that only to race someone or to check my PB average.
Old 07-09-07, 05:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
The heat has been pretty brutal all over the US these last few weeks. Right now by me the temp is 90F and the dew point is 74F!! The relative temp is greater >100. Out west they have multiple days running >110, with conditions like these you have to be really careful and too much water is as bad too little.

Keep cool out there.
That is so true but it is not common knowledge. I am not a Newbie biker and had to be reminded of that by my distressed wife.
Old 07-09-07, 05:21 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I did this trail again today. I was thinking and looking for those 16' climb. I thought they must have measured the trees?
BTW, I averaged 17.9 MPH going toward New Glarus.
I'd have been out there with you, but had to go to work.

If we ever meet up in New Glarus, I'll try to keep up with you for a mile. I've done a mile before at close to 17. Then you can give me "the look" and drop me at your leisure.

As to the 16' of elevation gain over a mile. That would be hard to see or notice. That's slightly less than a foot over 100 yards.

Old 07-09-07, 05:26 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are there any lower sugar sports ade drinks?
I've used a mix EnduroMax (sp?) that's like CytoMax. It has the different sugar (dextrose perhaps), vitamins, and some protein. The protein is supposed to help endurance. It's lightly flavored and the sugar doesn't hit you as sweet as sucrose. I usually mix it half strength.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.