Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1974 Leganano Specilisma, Schwinn Voyageur, Schwinn Passage, Cannondale ST500, Miyata 512, Trek 850, Gary Fisher Tassajara, 1974 Fuji S10 Special Road Racer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hills and Back Strain

Ok, need an opinion. I ride about 100+ mile a week. I weigh 194, & 6'. Im riding up a small hill on the
    4th and I remember letting my stomach muscles relax and all of a sudden I hear and feel this tearing meat sound (for a lack of a proper word) and all kinds of thoughts are going through me mind. Did I strain something or what was that. Back feels OK to ride in. 15 miles out and after a few miles I start having this pain in my right back side and my right "boy" is aching. By the tiem I get back to the car it's all I can do to lift the bike on the rack and get home. Still can't ride but the pain is getting better.
    Anyoneone else have this happen while riding hiils? Need HELP and advice. Thanks for your time. Joe

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a period of time when I was experiencing back pain and I had to work- and it was physical work. I worked through it and the back did not get any worse. Then back to normal working and I had a problem in the "Glutimous Maximus". Pain started at the butt- if walking the knees gave way- And it felt as though someone had jumped on the abdomen. Nothing serious but I had to get it checked out by the doctor- just to find out what it was for my own peace of mind.

Get it checked out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it checked out

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it checked out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're fine. Don't get it checked out. I'm not a doctor, just a smarty pants. It always cracks me up when people ask strangers on the internet for medical advice.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but if it did as stubborn as I am I think I would make an appointment.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen
    Get it checked out
    What he said!!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does not sound good. Get it checked out.

My Bikes
    1974 Leganano Specilisma, Schwinn Voyageur, Schwinn Passage, Cannondale ST500, Miyata 512, Trek 850, Gary Fisher Tassajara, 1974 Fuji S10 Special Road Racer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humor in a medical question???

I do appreciate one members humor, but............. forums are for questions and answers and this IS a bike forum. What better place to ask if anyone is familiar with this type of injury while riding hills?!?! I am 55. Started riding competively at 19. Had to stop racing when I was a victim of hit and run at 34. I have had 2 lower back operations because of it. I have had bacterial meningitis, 5 total surgeries in the last 4 years. Last June I was in critical care for 6 large blood clots in my lungs. I have benign tumors in both feet and one tumor recently removed from my left hand. I receive epidural pain shots for a neck injury when someone pulled out in front of me. I have no fear when riding and it is very important to me.
    MY point!
    I have relied on forums many times for advice. Rarely for bike issues but many time for advice as to how to ride through an injury or the pain I sometimes experience. Many minds are better than one. I LOVE to ride and it is my escape from the health issues. I would venture to guess many people in my position would be unwilling to suffer to keep their health at a level that lets them ride 100+ mile a week. I am not ranting but just letting fellow riders know that asking a medical question on a forum seems to be a logical step in seeking opinion and the next step toward treatment. For those that responded, I thank you!

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get it checked out.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgscisum
    I do appreciate one members humor, but............. forums are for questions and answers and this IS a bike forum. What better place to ask if anyone is familiar with this type of injury while riding hills?!?! I am 55. Started riding competively at 19. Had to stop racing when I was a victim of hit and run at 34. I have had 2 lower back operations because of it. I have had bacterial meningitis, 5 total surgeries in the last 4 years. Last June I was in critical care for 6 large blood clots in my lungs. I have benign tumors in both feet and one tumor recently removed from my left hand. I receive epidural pain shots for a neck injury when someone pulled out in front of me. I have no fear when riding and it is very important to me.
    MY point!
    I have relied on forums many times for advice. Rarely for bike issues but many time for advice as to how to ride through an injury or the pain I sometimes experience. Many minds are better than one. I LOVE to ride and it is my escape from the health issues. I would venture to guess many people in my position would be unwilling to suffer to keep their health at a level that lets them ride 100+ mile a week. I am not ranting but just letting fellow riders know that asking a medical question on a forum seems to be a logical step in seeking opinion and the next step toward treatment. For those that responded, I thank you!
    For what it's worth dept. YMMV as they say:

When I suffered (and I mean suffered) significant onset of sudden back pain, I went to a very experienced chiropractor who told me a disc was pressing on a nerve. He prescribed a regimen of backbends--to be done for about a minute every hour of the day.

I also visited a pain managment clinic, got an MRI, got sports massage, got physical therapy (which provided a good set of core exercises, especially concerning the transversus abdominus muscles), read everything I could, spoke with a variety of experts, etc., etc.. In the end, the orginial chiropractor's diagnosis was borne out by the MRI and other diagnostics. A disc was pressing on a nerve, but the damage was treatable via exercise and physical therapy. No one recommended surgery. In the end, things worked out ok (except when I get lax with my exercises).

I am not suggesting this is your issue. I would certainly never diagnose anyone. I'm not a health care professional, but this is my story. In the end, the back bends and the core exercises seemed to help me a great deal. Ultimately, if the situation does not resolve on its own with a bit of rest, I do suggest seeking professional advice and getting as many opnions as you need in order to feel you're in the right hands.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess that you have a core strength issue since this was initiated
    by relaxing the abdomen thus increasing stress on the back.

Exercising in general is good for protection from injury and core exercises
    in particular help biking as it helps balance. If you aren't doing it already
    I'd suggest core exercises after dealing with the pain.