Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-07, 08:31 PM   #1
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today's ride, a little bragging

So I set off at 7 a.m. for Mt. Vernon, about 21 miles from home. Got there at 8:13 a.m., 17.2 mph average and that included 3 miles through DC rush hour traffic at the start......

Took a 10 minute banana break and refilled the water bottles at Mt. Vernon and arrived home at 9:38 a.m. 16.8 mph average (darn stoplights) through 3 miles of more traffic at the end.

First time I have done the ride in under 2:30 saddle time. It felt great! I love my Buenos Aires!

Had to brag to someone.
Old 07-09-07, 08:35 PM   #2
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Well done. Maybe we should hit the trail together sometime (I usually keep the yellow submarine parked in Charlottesville, about 100 miles south). As long as you're willing to wait up for me, that is.
Old 07-09-07, 08:39 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
And just 2:38 elapsed time!

Just think of what you could do on a real bike!

Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:50 PM   #4
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
And just 2:38 elapsed time!

Just think of what you could do on a real bike!

Hey, hey, hey.......my seat keeps getting higher and higher; I'm worried about getting altitude sickness.
Old 07-09-07, 08:51 PM   #5
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
So you've inched it up a bit?

How is that feeling?
Old 07-09-07, 09:01 PM   #6
tlc20010
The Grampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
So you've inched it up a bit?

How is that feeling?
Biggest difference I've noticed is that now when I stand on the pedals, I am just barely off the saddle. I think I am nearing the limit based on the length of my legs......can't say that I have felt any difference, but I am certain it looks cooler.......OBTW, have not tried with the Florsheims.
Old 07-09-07, 09:18 PM   #7
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Sounds like you have raised it more than just a little bit. You should be able to generate a little more power from the higher position, as you have noted, it is closer to standing up.
Old 07-10-07, 04:03 AM   #8
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Congrats on the ride...........even if riding for fun, speed is good.

I don't remember if it has beed quoted here in the 50+ but here is the rule of thumb for saddle height.

Adjust the seat height so that while sitting on the saddle with the ball of the heel on the down pedal your leg is almost straight. Now when riding with the ball of the foot on the pedal (not the heel you adjusted to) there will be a slight bend at the knee at full extension. Saddle heights shorter than this tend to result in muscle pain in the thigh while riding.

This will result however in not being able to put both feet flat on the ground while seated. That is the myth that gets most riders to set the seat too low.

Oh, it ain't braggin if you can do it, congrats again.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 04:46 AM   #9
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
Grampster...

Was this ride on the road or on the Mt Vernon Trail along the Potomac? If it was on the trail, many a Saturday Early Morning I've made the same ride back in the late 80's. I obsolutely LOVED that ride. Alway did that ride on either my MTB that the Guest Quarters secured on the off weeks or via a rental bike from one of the Bike Shops in Alexandria. Never did do that on a Road bike, but that would be fun I am sure.

Thanks for the memories!

Chris
ang1sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 05:04 AM   #10
tlc20010
The Grampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang1sgt
Grampster...

Was this ride on the road or on the Mt Vernon Trail along the Potomac? If it was on the trail, many a Saturday Early Morning I've made the same ride back in the late 80's. I obsolutely LOVED that ride. Alway did that ride on either my MTB that the Guest Quarters secured on the off weeks or via a rental bike from one of the Bike Shops in Alexandria. Never did do that on a Road bike, but that would be fun I am sure.

Thanks for the memories!

Chris
I go out on the trail (past National and the yacht club through Old Town) and then return on the parkway to the Belle Haven Marina where I get back on the trail. You are right, it is a great ride and early in the day during the week, not to much foot traffic (but still a lot of bikes, especially commuters). Weekends get very busy and I try to avoid it then.
Old 07-10-07, 05:25 AM   #11
momof4greatkids

Bikes: Serotta Fierte
props to you, sounds like a great ride. That grandbaby in your avator is adorable!
momof4greatkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 05:44 AM   #12
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Just terrific!!

George Washington would be proud as well! I bet that is a fun place to ride.

BTW, I did our loop again this past weekend (added 20 miles from home) early in the morning and saw two large Does at different points along the way.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 05:45 AM   #13
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
Great ride. With the hills and traffic around here I never avg more than 13mph for any given ride. It seems like I'm either going 25mph or 8mph, nothing in between.
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 07:51 AM   #14
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great ride and you have every right to do some bragging!
I simply have to try that trail some day

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 01:27 PM   #15
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
The 1959 Capo and I, with our 3-digit combined age, led a group ride up a local hill (inside Torrey Pines Park up to the rangers' station, for those who know the area) on Saturday morning.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 02:33 PM   #16
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I went to DC about 3 years ago and I think getting through that mess would be easier on a bike than driving. I have my seat pretty much up there too, but I like it there. Anyhow safe riding and thanks for sharing.
Old 07-10-07, 02:51 PM   #17
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
Nice ride. Like everyone else said, it ain't braggin' if you can back it up.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 03:51 PM   #18
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Had to brag to someone.

You came to the right place.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 06:17 PM   #19
tlc20010
The Grampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Just terrific!!

George Washington would be proud as well! I bet that is a fun place to ride.

BTW, I did our loop again this past weekend (added 20 miles from home) early in the morning and saw two large Does at different points along the way.
I'm glad you think of it as "our" ride. I sure enjoyed it. Next time we will have to be sure to invite VegaVixen along or there will be heck to pay. Supposed to be getting a new grand baby in late August, so I will for sure be in your neck of the woods then. I hope we can hook up again.
Old 07-10-07, 06:41 PM   #20
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great MPH grampster, way to go, congrats.
Old 07-10-07, 07:39 PM   #21
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Adjust the seat height so that while sitting on the saddle with the ball of the heel on the down pedal your leg is almost straight. Now when riding with the ball of the foot on the pedal (not the heel you adjusted to) there will be a slight bend at the knee at full extension. Saddle heights shorter than this tend to result in muscle pain in the thigh while riding.

This will result however in not being able to put both feet flat on the ground while seated. That is the myth that gets most riders to set the seat too low.
. . . the above must be extremely bike dependent. I cannot put either foot flat on the ground without getting off the saddle or leaning the bike to one side or the other (I don't mean a two-degree lean, either).

OTOH, if I had to guess, I bet I could use to raise my saddle a little to get a bit more power. I don't mess with it since I am comfortable on rides at any duration or length.

I am aware of the rule of thumb you quoted, however.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 07:42 PM   #22
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc20010
So I set off at 7 a.m. for Mt. Vernon, about 21 miles from home. Got there at 8:13 a.m., 17.2 mph average and that included 3 miles through DC rush hour traffic at the start......

Took a 10 minute banana break and refilled the water bottles at Mt. Vernon and arrived home at 9:38 a.m. 16.8 mph average (darn stoplights) through 3 miles of more traffic at the end.

First time I have done the ride in under 2:30 saddle time. It felt great! I love my Buenos Aires!

Had to brag to someone.
Did you have to work or you cut your ride short on purpose. Seems to me if you were moving along so nicely, well, perhaps you should have just kept on going.

Seriously, though, sounds like a great ride . . . and, more than any other reason, because you liked it and feel proud of your accomlishment (and your speeds over that distance are respectful for any rider at any age (no age assumptions made here!!)).

Congrats.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 07:56 PM   #23
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
Nice ride report . . . we expect pictures the next time
I'm sitting here tonight trying to decide how much time I can squeeze tomorrow morning for a ride and you are inspiring me to push for the longer ride!
Coloradopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 04:19 AM   #24
tlc20010
The Grampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Did you have to work or you cut your ride short on purpose. Seems to me if you were moving along so nicely, well, perhaps you should have just kept on going.

Seriously, though, sounds like a great ride . . . and, more than any other reason, because you liked it and feel proud of your accomlishment (and your speeds over that distance are respectful for any rider at any age (no age assumptions made here!!)).

Congrats.

Caruso
Yeah, the problem is that the trail ends at Mt. Vernon.....The age thing: I am 65 and started riding again seriously in 2005 following knee replacement surgery. Thanks for the good words.