User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It must be the heat and humidity!

The heat and humidity have been terrible here the past week. Usually I don't enjoy riding in these conditions but for some unknown reason I've really been enjoying it this year.

Sunday was the breakfast ride and two of us added the extra 5 mile, extra hills section making it a 36 mile ride. The other group took the early cutoff to the restaurant (the wimps ). My average on this ride is generally in the 13.0 - 13.5 mph range but this week I hit 14.1 and the average heart rate was 130. This is a big improvement over the beginning of the season when I was struggling on those long 2-3% grades and dreading "the hill" that comes late in the ride.

Last night we did the 20 mile out and back river trail ride. The out section was into a 8-10 mph wind but the ride back had a nice tailwind. We generally don't push it too much on this ride but last night the pace seemed to be a little faster. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 15.2 mph average at the end instead of the usual 14.0 Maybe the time on the trainer over the winter is paying off.

Hopefully I'm in shape for the two week-long tours coming up within the next month.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been that way up here too. I bagged my ride this morning...too damn hot and humid.

Don't worry about XOBA, It should be mostly flat this year (he said laughingly ). Of course, 90+ and high humidity will make things tough, flat or not. If we're lucky it'll be less humid. Fingers crossed.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I are from Cleveland. Mid-west heat and humidity are difficult riding conditions. You are definitely improving.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't to bad here today. I just got back from doing 20 miles and the weather says it's 89 with humidity at 63, ( which is low for here), and the heat index is 99.
    George

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least someone is enjoying it. 90F with 60% RH and heat index of 97 right now. I plan to ride this evening but I sure do like it better when the humidity is closer to 50% or less.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the flooding around here, high humidity is going to be the order for the entire summer. Every group ride I've been on lately, there have been at least a few folks in a bind from the heat and humidity.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a 54 mile ride this morning. As long as I start early, hydrate a lot and pour water over me during stop at the H2O fountain to refill the bottles, it's comforting and reduce the effect of humidity. Temp when I quit was at 84 with humidity at 68%. Glad to avoid the mid day heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    The heat and humidity have been terrible here the past week. Usually I don't enjoy riding in these conditions but for some unknown reason I've really been enjoying it this year.

Sunday was the breakfast ride and two of us added the extra 5 mile, extra hills section making it a 36 mile ride. The other group took the early cutoff to the restaurant (the wimps ). My average on this ride is generally in the 13.0 - 13.5 mph range but this week I hit 14.1 and the average heart rate was 130. This is a big improvement over the beginning of the season when I was struggling on those long 2-3% grades and dreading "the hill" that comes late in the ride.

Maybe the time on the trainer over the winter is paying off.

Hopefully I'm in shape for the two week-long tours coming up within the next month.

I think the three lines I've noted are very, very connected! Good for you, Beverly. I too have been enjoying the heat and humidity more than I thought I would, and it's likley the result of much more time staying in shape over the winter months. Go get 'em, Girl!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.