Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How wide should a bike saddle's perineum cutout be?

I'm about to modify a bicycle seat to put a groove through the center so it won't press on my perineum. So now I'm wondering just how wide the groove has to be. My (male) perineum seems to be about 3-1/2 inches wide. But how wide is the part that contains the important arteries and nerves?

There seems to be an area in the perineum that bulges out. You can feel it when you're erect. It runs down the center of the perineum. This bulge seems to be only about 1 inch wide. So I'm wondering if that is the only area that contains the vital nerves and arteries, and therefore a 1 inch groove will suffice.

But what about the prostate? How wide is that? Does the rear of the groove have to be wider to avoid putting pressure on the prostate?

Grooves in commercially made seats seem to vary a lot in width. I don't want to make the groove wider than it has to be because the wider it is, the less surface area there is to support my butt. What do you think? Any urologists out there?

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a serious post? If it is sorry, but if not I just had one of the best laughs I've had in months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's serious. Now stop laughing and call your urologist so you can get answers for me.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to slot a seat, consider sending it to a professional--that is if it's a Brooks.

Selle An-Atomica cuts out seats for about $45.

Their web site:

http://www.mcmwin.com/

Specialized makes what they call Body Geometry seats. I own an An-Atomica, a Brooks and a Specialized Alias on my bikes and I have absolutely no problems w/perineum or prostate; however, I don't think mine is 3-1/2" wide either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it would help if we had photos to work with here.

[I appreciate this is a serious post, but, while sitting out here in the waiting room for an appt. with someone who actually knows something, thought I'd lighten things up.]

FWIW, my Trans Am gel's cutout measures about 5" long by 1" wide and tapers at the ends.

*** Over the years I slump more as I ride and don't maintain my former, steady erection in the saddle.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *** Over the years I slump more as I ride and don't maintain my former, steady erection in the saddle.

That's what happens to the over fifties.................................unless we see a constant blue tint.

Gosh, if I only knew how to post a pic now.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos? We don't need no stinkin' photos.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I had one I wasn't thinking about a bike saddle.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanna measure the prostate and/or the arteries/nerves "down there" (that's how exas refers to it), you'll need either exploratory surgery (ouch!) or diagnostic imaging (ouch in the wallet!). A lot of 50+ guys like to say "mine is bigger than yours" (prostate, that is) without really having any numbers to back it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[I appreciate this is a serious post, but, while sitting out here in the waiting room for an appt. with someone who actually knows something, thought I'd lighten things up.]

FWIW, my Trans Am gel's cutout measures about 5" long by 1" wide and tapers at the ends.

CrossChain, does that one inch cutout work well for you? Any pressure? Does it extend all the way to the back edge of the seat? Is the nose also cut out?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beelz
    Continuing my bike seat quest from a previous post, I finally found a wide saddle in a second hand bike shop in SE Asia. It's the same model you see in this picture.

The seat measures about 10 inches across at the widest part. These seats are apparently only available as second hand, not new, so I have to make do with this one.

Big as it is, I'm not even going to attempt to ride it until I modify it a bit, as I ripped my crotch up very badly last year when I tried to ride a conventional seat. I have minor prostate problems, so want zero pressure on the prostate and genital areas.

I am going to take it to a shop that reupholsters motorbike seats and ask them to modify the seat. I think the kind of modification that makes the most sense is this type: (ABS)

because it seems to totally eliminate contact with the perineal area while preserving the nose for riding stability.

Now, I suspect they won't be able to actually create that concave front nose, as the frame is not shaped that way. But if you simply lower the nose by removing padding, will that achieve the same effect?

Or maybe rather than lower the nose, one can simply raise the rear part of the seat, by putting extra padding there?

My saddle already has a slight indentation down the center, as you can see, but it's totally inadequate to relieve pressure. I want to deepen and widen that center indentation so there is no pressure at all on my perineum. How deep should it be? How wide should it be? Many seats I've seen that have cutouts have the cutout too narrow, IMO.

And should one attempt to reupholster with special very firm padding that won't compress a lot, in order to make sure that the sit bones remain high in the saddle, and the perineum remains pressure free?

Also, as one loses potential butt support due to the rounded edges of the seat, is it possible to upholster it so that the edges are not round, but rather rise at 90 degree angles from the frame? That would add over an inch of butt support and make it noticeably more comfortable, IMO. (I have a big butt and am a heavy guy) Or is that not necessary? Does your butt compress the flat area so that the rounded downward-sloping area at the edge becomes part of the same plane of support? (I hope that's not confusing!)

Unfortunately, this saddle has the kind of mount that can not adjust seat position front to rear, but you can adjust the seat angle. It also has two slightly rusted shock absorber springs underneath. I don't know how difficult it would be to find someone who can change the mount to one that can be adjusted front to rear...maybe I can live without that.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this. I'm hoping that if you get a wide enough saddle, you can create your own customized dream seat by modifying it to your anatomy.
    How did the reupholstering job work out on that saddle?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    My thoughts exactly.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beelz, see attached photos of trans am gel saddle. I feel no pressure on that perineum line...no. The saddle is comfortable for me and the slot seems to work for me because I notice no discomfort or pressure from that area. Being a somewhat wider and flatter top saddle, weight does seem distributed more on my particular sit bones.

Pictured is a new (fresh) Trans Am...I ride 2 of them and have a more conventional Regal with arched top and no slot on a third bike.....it works well for me up to 50 miles or so and even then is still usable. Were I to choose only one saddle, it would be the Trans Am.

Getting up off the saddle for a few yards periodically and moving around on the saddle, for me, is as helpful as any saddle shape or configuration. Not to mention logging regular miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CrossChain; 07-10-07 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beelz, see attached photos of trans am gel saddle. I feel no pressure on that perineum line...no. The saddle is comfortable for me and the slot seems to work for me because I notice no discomfort or pressure from that area. Being a somewhat wider and flatter top saddle, weight does seem distributed more on the sit bones.

Pictured is a new Trans Am...I ride 2 of them and have a more conventional Regal with arched top and no slot on a third bike.....it works well for me up to 50 miles or so and even then is still usable. Were I to choose only one saddle, it would be the Trans Am.

Getting up off the saddle for a few yards periodically and moving around on the saddle, for me, is as helpful as any saddle shape or configuration. Not to mention logging regular miles.

I used to ride this very same saddle, but not in yellow (Not fast enough to warrant a yellow one yet). At some point I thought I'd reduce the weight a bit by making the slot bigger. I very carefully perfomed the needed surgery on the saddle, and it looked very cool and was a few grams lighter. However, on the very first ride, I realized I had made a major mistake. The slot, while not even twice as wide as before, was too wide and caused pain and discomfort the unaltered saddle never inflicted. If it were me, and based on my own learning experience, I'd not modify any saddle in the future unless I was willing to toss it away if it didn't work. It's pretty easy to sell a saddle that hasn't been modified, but next to impossible to sell one that has been modified. Hence, if you really want to make this modification, I'd send it out to professionals or accept the fact that it might turn into an experiment with poor results.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    I used to ride this very same saddle, but not in yellow (Not fast enough to warrant a yellow one yet). At some point I thought I'd reduce the weight a bit by making the slot bigger. I very carefully perfomed the needed surgery on the saddle, and it looked very cool and was a few grams lighter. However, on the very first ride, I realized I had made a major mistake. The slot, while not even twice as wide as before, was too wide and caused pain and discomfort the unaltered saddle never inflicted. If it were me, and based on my own learning experience, I'd not modify any saddle in the future unless I was willing to toss it away if it didn't work. It's pretty easy to sell a saddle that hasn't been modified, but next to impossible to sell one that has been modified. Hence, if you really want to make this modification, I'd send it out to professionals or accept the fact that it might turn into an experiment with poor results.
    +1. Most riders who've ridden for any length of time have a box full of old saddles (or they've sold them) in the long search for what fits best. Check out the Anatomica site above...they offer different width saddles with different width & shape of cut-out. Somebody here might have experience with them.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After due consideration, my opinion is that the maximum width should be less that the outer dimension of the saddle at corresponding points along the center line.

Just a starting point.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '02 Trek 4500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only on the 50+ forum will you see this kind of question without hearing snickers from the crowd! Now, can we discuss really important things like "What nickname do you use when riding?"
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternative opinion: I tried a saddle with a cut-out, but the groove seemed strategically designed to grab me in all the wrong places.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a doctor in the house?
    Where's the Weak Link when you need him ...
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
    Is there a doctor in the house?
    Where's the Weak Link when you need him ...
    Don't give him any ideas.

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School
    Only on the 50+ forum will you see this kind of question without hearing snickers from the crowd! Now, can we discuss really important things like "What nickname do you use when riding?"
    I'm snickering.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '02 Trek 4500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauraspark
    I'm snickering.
    I hear ya!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast