Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Good Neighbor

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Good Neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 05:17 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The Good Neighbor

So yesterday my neighbor and best buddy asks if I'd pump up the tires on his and his wife's bikes. Seems they're taking a little 8-mile ride next week. "Sure", says I. . ."glad to". BIG mistake!!

He brings them up to the house. Mind, he bought these rigs 20 years ago at Munky-Wards. . .rode 'em about twice.

The first thing I see is cottered cranks. . .well ok that's kinda' cool. Then I see friction shifters. . .fine, it'll be fun to reminisce.

Then:

The tires are dry-rotted and crumble in my hands,
The tubes. . .same thing,
The brake blocks are so hard you could fire them clean through HMS Hood's double hull,
Two of the four wheel bearings produce steel shavings and death-rattle, but little movement, and
Both headsets misadjusted. . .one way too loose. . .one way too tight.

The wheel bearings issues alone spell disaster for their outing. Well Jiminy Crickets now I'm committed!

My inclination is to offer them a couple of my beater rigs for the day. They're well maintained and I'd feel vastly more comfortable for their safety and reduced need for a 'rescue'.

Old 07-01-07, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Ahh yes, or americans who can't spot landfill when they are looking at it. Offer them your beaters. It's the right thing to do. bk
Old 07-01-07, 06:25 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Offer them the use of your bikes. Nothing will turn them off biking quicker than getting out on their bikes and having problems.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-01-07, 06:46 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every man for himself, I say. Just pump up their tires and send them on their way!

Old 07-01-07, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Every man for himself, I say. Just pump up their tires and send them on their way!

See what I mean about that avatar?
Old 07-01-07, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
See what I mean about that avatar?
By golly, you're right. A man with a winged helmet would never say a thing like that.
Old 07-02-07, 05:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually see this as a tricky situation. On one hand, by letting them use two of your bikes, you are saving the day for them, but also opening yourself to two possibilities you might want to consider. 1. They might see this as an open invite to use your bikes on a regular basis. 2. If there is a mechanical faliure and someone gets hurt, they could come back to you seeking damages. On the other hand, if you don't lend them your bikes, you can speak honestly with them about the condition of their bikes and offer to direct them to the LBS for proper repairs or purchase of new bikes. Does any LBS rent bikes in your area?
Old 07-02-07, 05:58 AM

Bikes: road and mtn.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my vote is BSLeVan's advice. had a neighbor (homeowner) once that liked to "borrow" my ladder. that got pretty old after about the 10th time. the main problem is that they would forget to return it and i would have to go "borrow" it back.

gw
Old 07-02-07, 11:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My suggestion is to loan them your beater bikes for one ride, after telling them that a bit of work is needed on their bikes.

If they enjoy the first ride- And it could be 50/50 on that- Then offer to take them out for a better ride next week. Take it slowly on that ride and then suggest that they look at getting better bikes from the LBS or craigslist.

Chances are though that one ride will be enough and they won't be back.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-02-07, 05:38 PM
Coyote!

Great advice on each end of the spectrum. Thanks.

Old 07-02-07, 05:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Weren't you voted off of the island? Why are you still posting? Have you no honor?

BSLeVan has hit it right on the mark. Do what he says.
Old 07-02-07, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, you got some good advice (and some from TB) so what are you going to do? I think you will take the high road and soon be telling us about your new biking neighbors.
Old 07-02-07, 07:07 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Weren't you voted off of the island? Why are you still posting?
Throwing me off the island is one thing.

Keeping me off is an entirely different thing.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-02-07, 07:10 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote!
Great advice on each end of the spectrum. Thanks.
Coyotes have excellent judgment. I think you should trust your first inclinations.
Old 07-02-07, 09:51 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by garydogwood
my vote is BSLeVan's advice. had a neighbor (homeowner) once that liked to "borrow" my ladder. that got pretty old after about the 10th time. the main problem is that they would forget to return it and i would have to go "borrow" it back.

gw
I have just never been faced with this issue. Must come from my years of working with Juvenile Delinquents, but after the first time I have to retrieve something, I then just say, "No! I had to come get it the last time!"

A good deed has ramifications that ripple through the world. Even if you know you might get the bum end of the deal, every good deed we do towards someone weakens the shield they have up which allows them to act that way. Kind of how a trickle of water is the most destructive thing on earth. However, it's also good for people to suffer natural consequences of their actions, but it's always good to give the benefit of the doubt.

I say loan them the bikes! But expect them to get stolen when they stop for ice cream.
Old 07-03-07, 03:47 AM
Coyote!

Remember, these folks are more than neighbors, they're great friends. In this scenario, that's a complication.

Well, here's what I've done so far based on the 'more than the customer expected' principle. . .replaced tubes and two tires, adjusted headsets, brakes, and derailleurs to the extent the technology allowed, cleaned everything and lubricated the chains and derailleur pivot points. Drizzled oil into the bad wheel bearings. Now. . .the initial promise is fulfilled and more. At this point, I shared my opinion on the probability of failure of the bearings and made free and uncoerced offer of my beater rigs.

Mind you, if they borrow my dearies [TREKs 800 and 930] it will be along with two sturdy locks, stern advice, and a steely stare. . .I love 'em both [neighbors, that is] but me and the 930 have been through much together and she [the bike. . .dunno' 'bout the neighbor] still rides like a dream.

One last thing. . .I'll probably trick them out a little repair kit. Bless his heart, his tool kit has the biggest adjustable spanner Craftsman makes. Part of me wants to do 'sweep' on this expedition.

Old 07-03-07, 04:20 AM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Remember, these folks are more than neighbors, they're great friends. In this scenario, that's a complication.

Well, here's what I've done so far based on the 'more than the customer expected' principle. . .replaced tubes and two tires, adjusted headsets, brakes, and derailleurs to the extent the technology allowed, cleaned everything and lubricated the chains and derailleur pivot points. Drizzled oil into the bad wheel bearings. Now. . .the initial promise is fulfilled and more. At this point, I shared my opinion on the probability of failure of the bearings and made free and uncoerced offer of my beater rigs.

Mind you, if they borrow my dearies [TREKs 800 and 930] it will be along with two sturdy locks, stern advice, and a steely stare. . .I love 'em both [neighbors, that is] but me and the 930 have been through much together and she [the bike. . .dunno' 'bout the neighbor] still rides like a dream.

One last thing. . .I'll probably trick them out a little repair kit. Bless his heart, his tool kit has the biggest adjustable spanner Craftsman makes. Part of me wants to do 'sweep' on this expedition.

Well, they are great friends… …but one of the potential problems is that "…you touch it, you own it!"; your magnanimous gesture might lead to a dependency which is not necessarily A Good Thing; and anyway, what about the liability issues?

- Wil (hey, it's right there in the user title)
Old 07-03-07, 06:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'd lend them the bikes - wouldn't even think twice about it. What else are those particular bikes good for? I mean I can be a little grouchy at times but geez!
Old 07-03-07, 07:34 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to have bikes out on loan for extended periods. My Brother In Law has one and My Brother in Ohio has one. The only one I REALLY want back is my Trek 970. I know both bikes are in good homes that take care of them so if they keep riding them, that is one of the conditions of keeping them.

Looks like my KHS Aluminum Cruiser is going out the door this week to my Son in Law. And I'll be looking for a bike for my daughter to ride as soon as she is done birthing our second grand child. She wants back on a bike so bad!

It is sad to see bikes in this bad a shape and folks that will RIDE them in this condition. They can almost buy a new bike for all that is wrong with them. I just had to make this decision for my wife. She would love to have her Peugeot back and riding that, but it just needs too much work. She loves riding the TREK 7000 we just got her and it has all the modern stuff on it to make her enjoyment on the bike that much better.

I think my advice is for these folks to donate these bikes to any organization that will take them and buy new ones. Of course, they may not want to do this because of some attachment to the bikes they have.
Old 07-03-07, 07:35 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also say loan them the beaters. I think Wil's liability concerns, in spite of the scare headlines, are a bit overblown.

And if they *do* sue, well, they could meet up with a very unfortunate accident, right? I know people if you need such services.

(Attention any law enforcement/Homeland Security/NSA/CIA officials monitoring this forum: just kidding!)
Old 07-03-07, 07:56 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked out a Raleigh mixte at a garage sale earlier this Spring. The woman had ridden it a lot ... 15 years ago. It was in better shape than what you describe but the tires and tubes were badly dry-rotted. I didn't buy it, although I could have at $20, but I did warn her not to ride it or let anyone else take a test ride on it before buying.
Old 07-03-07, 10:17 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked out a Raleigh mixte at a garage sale earlier this Spring. The woman had ridden it a lot ... 15 years ago. It was in better shape than what you describe but the tires and tubes were badly dry-rotted. I didn't buy it, although I could have at $20, but I did warn her not to ride it or let anyone else take a test ride on it before buying.
That's a shame. That bike had "Tom Bombadil does his first metric on me" written all over it!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-03-07, 10:29 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Good choices in beater bikes. I believe the Trek 800 is about as close to an indestructable bike as I've ever found. We used to have a Trek 800 that we kept for visitors or freinds who rode with us but did not have a bike. It never let us down. I've obtained used Trek 800s for freinds because they are so reliable. Not one ever had a serious failure. Are you sure you don't want to insist on loaning them those bikes? Maybe just the 800, at least then one of the bikes will make it back from their trip.
Old 07-11-07, 12:55 PM
Coyote!

Jes' closing the loop here. The neighbors decided to use their own bikes and had a great time but were exhausted [see "bearings", "steel shavings", "death rattle", and "little movement" above]. The good news is they got home without need for rescue. I ran into them by our adjoining tomato patches and let them know again that those bearings are on the raw edge of disaster and to see to their remedy post-haste. Don't really see 'em taking up cycling, tho'. Anyway, it ended well enough.

Old 07-11-07, 02:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jes' closing the loop here. The neighbors decided to use their own bikes and had a great time but were exhausted [see "bearings", "steel shavings", "death rattle", and "little movement" above]. The good news is they got home without need for rescue. I ran into them by our adjoining tomato patches and let them know again that those bearings are on the raw edge of disaster and to see to their remedy post-haste. Don't really see 'em taking up cycling, tho'. Anyway, it ended well enough.
Well, good. But how are the 'maters doing?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.