User Tag List

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wind, mag, fluid... what trainer?

The wife is wanting to use a trainer, vice go to the local gym.

I see there are wind, magnetic, and fluid trainers out there. The wind trainer makes sense if the wind can be directed to the cyclist to keep them cool.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wind trainers do not offer very good resistance and are often paired with a friction unit to make it harder to pedal. That also means you don't get a very good road like feel. The Fluid trainers are by far the best and you can't go wrong with a Kurt Kenetic for the money. I have used multiple trainers both for the off season and for warmig up before races. The CycleOps trainers are good too but Kurt Kenetic has awesome warranty and a no leak guarantee. Bicycle Magazine rated it the Editors Pick last year for best trainer. The fluid resistance gets harder as you pedal and the large flywheel means that when you stop pedaling it will coast like you are on the road. Of all of the trainers I have used it is the best at giving you a road like feel.

BicycleFrenzy.com

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer. It's super quiet and I've never had a problem with it, except that I hold trainers in great contempt and I hate Coach Troy.

But I digress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    I hold trainers in great contempt....

+1 To me this is like asking, "Would you rather I punch you in the stomach or ribs?"
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree with the above. Windtrainers are no 3 dimensional equivalent for the road and are boring, But...........

You can "sweat buckets" (Coach Troy and I have a love/hate thing going on) and be very structured in strength building during the winter, after dark, rainy days....and they're good for recovering from an injury because you can so much better control your "riding" conditions and stop whenever.

If your wife wants to spin at home, why not? As long as she structures her work-out and just doesn't spin aimlessly in front of CNN. I've spent many hours out in the garage with the rain on the roof sweating to CNN or some old movie or under the iPod.

Kurt and Cyclops are top end trainers, but to start with, something cheaper would do fine, too. Purely fan dependent wind trainers are sort of passe.....besides, they're whooshy noisy and not so road feelish. If you want a breeze, and believe me you do, then put a fan in front of the trainer. Distraction of tv/dvd/iPod is helpful. Your wife may miss the social connection of sweating with others, but then you turn to Coach Troy and his merry band of self-flagellators.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dug out the old wind trainer last night because serious lightning started flashing just when I wanted to go out for a ride. So I cranked away under the canopy on the back patio while the rain pattered above and thunder claps came all around. But it reminded me how much I hate that whiney high pitched noise. Go with something quiet.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the "1 UP" trainers at http://www.1upusa.com/ and this site has the best price for Kurt Kinetic trainers.....with free shipping.
    My wife and have endured 4 completely trouble free years with our Kurt Kinetic "road machine" trainers.
    We use Continental "trainer" (yellow) rear tire for even quieter (no tire squeal) and smoother training sessions.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're on this topic, I have a new CF bike and I wonder what it would be like when I finally go with the trainer (later this year). Is it harmful on a CF bike to hook it up with a Kurt Kinetic?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    While we're on this topic, I have a new CF bike and I wonder what it would be like when I finally go with the trainer (later this year). Is it harmful on a CF bike to hook it up with a Kurt Kinetic?
    I put the Madone on my trainer without any problems. I just exchanged the QR skewer on the bike with the one that came with my trainer. No part of the bike touches the trainer except the special skewer.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=The Weak Link]I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer. It's super quiet and I've never had a problem with it.
    QUOTE]

A quiet trainer is a good trainer. I tried to save money and mine sounds like there's a train rattling through the house.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see roller trainers aren't on your list of options.
    This is good....
    In a fit of monkey madness a few years ago, I bought one of these contraptions. What a painful experience.
    If you can track stand a bike for several minutes on glaze ice, this is the trainer for you.
    To your original question, the reps I talked to all recommended fluid. I then got a Cycleops.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind trainers are made to order for us 50+ folks.

Most of us have already lost most of our hearing so the noise doesn't bother us like it does younger riders.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
    I see roller trainers aren't on your list of options.
    This is good....
    In a fit of monkey madness a few years ago, I bought one of these contraptions. What a painful experience.
    If you can track stand a bike for several minutes on glaze ice, this is the trainer for you.
    To your original question, the reps I talked to all recommended fluid. I then got a Cycleops.
    I used rollers for years... had a regular routine that amounted to a commute home from work that ended with 30 minutes of high speed spinning while watching M*A*S*H reruns. (it was on 5 times a day back then) The rollers really do help you smooth out the cadence. I got to where I could do the rollers hands free and relax. Of course back in the day I also was car free... so I was pretty dedicated.

She wants nothing to do with rollers... she just wants to spin on her time, when she feels like it.

Thanks for the info folks... I'll take the wind trainer off the list and consider your recommendations for the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackburn Ultra is very quiet, uses centrifical force for the resistance. Have also used Minoura Mag and it is quiet.

Tip for trainer use: If the bike is going to be used off the trainer for any serious riding, get a cheapo rear wheel and matching cheap tire to put on the bike. All the trainers just seem to wear tires out really fast.

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a secret wish for rollers for about 30 years, during most of which time I wasn't riding. When I started riding again recently, I found a set in the local classifieds for cheep. My husband was dubious, but said, "OK, you'll either figure that out or kill yourself trying."

I'm hooked, but still not out of the hallway.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of Kreitler Rollers - with fan and front wheel stand - that I bought 20 years ago. If you can get the hang of rollers they do make you ride smoother.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 1up user here......but would rather ride on the road.