Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bike initial thoughts

Ok then- had the Boreas for 4 days now and finally got to look around it and find some of the finer points on the Thing. It is a frame and fork supply and is aluminium and it is light. Without worrying about getting the lightest parts fitted- this bike weighs in at 15 Lbs. and ½ oz. The parts fitted have a proven record for strength and have a certain amount if weight built into them. The bars and stem, for example are Easton EA 30. Plenty of durability there. The bar is oversize at whatever size that is so I feel very happy that just by flipping the stem- the bike is comfortable. Headtube is a bit unusual as you can see from the Derailler cables running through it. The Bottom bearing is 1 ¼” and the top one is Conventional 1 1/8”. This means that the Carbon steerer is stepped to accommodate the step that is required. Other contact point of the saddle is a Fizic Aliante and this is a lightweight part. Still feels a bit slippery but it is comfortable. This may be down to the C.F. Seat post that is also micro adjusting for the Perfect setting up of the Saddle. Going back to the front end and you can see that it has a C.F. Fork and the Seat post and fork give the bike some form of Cushioning against the Road buzz. The wheels certainly don’t and these are the stiffest wheels I have ever ridden on. Without the C.F. this would be a very harsh ride. Going to the rear end and the rear wheel dropouts are rearward facing. That got me when I tried to take the wheel out first time- and even worse trying to put it back in so a bit of Practice is going to be required here.

Now onto the crankset. Truvatif have a good reputation for reliability and strength in the MTB world so It was suggested I try one. Two reasons- or 3 if you take the reputation into account. They are light- about 4 ozs less than the Ultegra version that I was going to fit- and this set of “Elite” was a special price to my LBS. Don’t know about the sprockets but they appear to be Nickel plated but not certain what is under the Plating. It is also a compact set so that decided it for me. Pedals by the way are Shimano A 520 and I did have my doubts about them as they are different to the double sided M 520’s that I normally use. It has taken a few miles to adjust but at the end of tonight’s ride they are fine and it is instant clip in. Big advantage of these for me is that they take the MTB cleat so I will not have to think of new shoes for a while.

Couple of shots of the bike so you can see it in its glory but the last few relate back to the TDF on Sunday. Don’t know if you have seen the TDF but they never pass their water bottles back for refilling. They just throw them and get a new one. On the several occasions I have watched the TDF- I have never been fortunate enough to collect one of these discarded water bottles. After The race- we were wending our way back on the TDF route and there it was- sitting at the side of the road. One bottle discarded by a rider in the TDF. Very quick stop to collect it and I have one Team Liquigas Team bottle. I am chuffed to say the least. Especially as I found out that the cheap brakes fitted to the Boreas to come within my price limit- and they were recommended by the Bike builder as Cheap- Very light but THEY WORK. They certainly do as On the sharp application of the brakes- I skidded. I now have a Flat spot on the rear tyre. Those Vrederstein Fortezzas are very soft. Final pic is of the Musset that I bought at the TDF and I am not a violent Man- but I had to elbow my way past about 20 well spoken ladies trying to buy one for their Grandson – or Husband as a momento of the occasion. The Van selling them was French and they do not understand the organised queue we have in the UK so it was thrust the £20 under the nose of the Vendor and get one quick before he departed.

Now as to the ride. It has now done my age in the 3 rides so still a few miles to go to confirm anything- but this bike is light and responds to pedal pressure. It rolls on the flat and down slopes superbly but thanks to the Crankset still being tight- Is not as easy to keep at speed as I would like. The contact points of saddle and bars could not be better and thanks to the Post and Forks- there is no road buzz getting through to me. That saddle is comfortable aswell. Maybe light and may be thin and rock solid but No Pain whatsoever –YET. The Gears are a Joy. 50/36 up front and 12/27 10 speed and very crisp on changing. Minor problem tonight on Front derailler rub but that is down to Cable stretch.

Overall- So Far the bike Works. It is comfortable- and although I may not be able to get it up mountains without a bit of adjustment to riding Skills (Mainly in getting a bit more power out of the legs) This is going to be a joy to ride for the rest of the summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Very quick stop to collect it and I have one Team Liquigas Team bottle. I am chuffed to say the least.
    Is being chuffed good or bad?

Liquigas has the coolest name of a race team I think. It sounds gastrointestinal, like they are all doped up on Carters Pills or something.

The new bike is beautiful. Glad it is riding well.

Slightly OT, but I can't get over the speed those fellers generate. 30 MPH on the flats at the end of stage 2? I can't coast downhill at that speed.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike! The rear drop outs are certainly interesting looking. Hope the aliante works out for you better than it did for me.

The clean looks of that bike are what I find most attractive.

Women are pretty. Bikes are beautiful!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    The clean looks of that bike are what I find most attractive.

Women are pretty. Bikes are beautiful!
    Funnily enough this bike is not a looker. It does not stand out. On Sunday when it was parked up at the TDF, it rarely got a look from the hundreds of Bikers that walked past it- Except for one person- He was a Non-English- European from his accent. He looked at it and around it for 5 minutes and all he said was "Beautiful". He was riding a Pinarello.

Sorry= Forgot some of you do not understand English- Chuffed is GOOD. About as good as over the moon- ecstatic- elated----all rolled into one.
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-10-07 at 04:08 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough this bike is not a looker. It does not stand out. On Sunday when it was parked up at the TDF, it rarely got a look from the hundreds of Bikers that walked past it- Except for one person- He was a Non-English- European from his accent. He looked at it and around it for 5 minutes and all he said was "Beautiful". He was riding a Pinarello.
    Paint it white and see what happens.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Beautiful bike Stapfam.

Now on to a technical question. A couple of years ago I built a BP Stealth Triathalon bike that had a similar but not the same cable/headtube arangement as yours. On the BP frame there were cable guides brazed to the outside of the headtube. My first impression was....wonderful, no cable rub on my paint. Later I came to find that the upper arm on the front brake caliper fouled the cable when the wheel was turned hard left. It appears that yours is just clear. Was this accomplished with a large spacing washer behind the caliper or is it perhaps that the design of your head tube is superior by moving the cable more inboard with that through tube mount?

I believe that your friend with the Pinarello saw the sheer functional beauty of this bike. Some machinery defines itself by function without resorting to cheap theatricals. (mmmmmm......white paint.....mmmmm)

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Paint it white and see what happens.

True beauty doesn't need makeup.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another technical question. At 15lbs, if you don't tie it to the ground will it float away?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that color combo. Really nice bike. Stapfam, it looks like your turning to the ROAD side!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very, very nice. And to think that just months ago you spent the predominant amount of your time off road.

I ride the Vredestein Fortezza's and they are an extremely durable tire. However, when it comes time to replace them, try a Continental 4000 and you'll feel even more acceleration in the wheels.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bike and its set-up doesn't need splash paint and marketing decals. It has that look of "Go fast/Go far". The bike's motion will be it's best announcement of itself. Besides, wasn't Boreas the winged king of the North wind whose sons helped Jason (and the Argonauts) fight off the harpies? A noble British tradition of classical grace and dignity in naming that has that gravitas everyone-- excepting 20Somethings-- is after these days. She's a beauty without the mass-market look...enjoy her.

Then again, it could always be called the "Hawkaloogie" as one American maker used to brand one of his models. Right.
    Last edited by CrossChain; 07-10-07 at 06:00 PM.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very nice looking bike and I couldn't help but notice how great your yard looks too.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    That is a very nice looking bike and I couldn't help but notice how great your yard looks too.
    +1
    Your yard/garden shots always look great! Beautiful Bike!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice, you will like it more every time you ride.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gears are a Joy. 50/36 up front and 12/27 10 speed and very crisp on changing. Minor problem tonight on Front derailler rub but that is down to Cable stretch.
    Good lookin' bike . . . and hearing that an aluminum frame is so light is a wake-up call for me. On the gearing, however, wider ranges are available to you . . . you probably already know that.

Happy riding.

Caruso

PS: wish I had been at the TDF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some hotrod you've got there. I wouldn't do the white paint thing, but with that ride, some flames on the seat stays might be appropriate .

I noticed your yard as well. Very nice looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too, like the simplicity. This bike does not need a garish paint scheme to stand out, it stands out quite well to the trained eye. Well done Stapfam.
    Last edited by Louis; 07-10-07 at 10:27 PM.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Slightly OT, but I can't get over the speed those fellers generate. 30 MPH on the flats at the end of stage 2? I can't coast downhill at that speed.
    Maybe you need bigger hills.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I officially hate you. You have front row seats (after a fashion) to TDF, you have the lovely English countryside in which to ride, and now you have this gorgeous bike. Argh.

Seriously, your garden is enviable, the bike more so, and I'm glad you're having such a great time riding it.

Listen for the tandem calling your name when you wheel your new ride past it...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a beautiful* bike. I love the lines and the color. Very classy.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough this bike is not a looker.
    Looks pretty good to me! When the basics are right you don't have to paint it with a lot of garish colors.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people state that moving up from a low end $1,000 bike to a moderate or high end bike with better materials is not worth it, hey its the engine that counts. Don't let them fool you, I moved from a relatively heavy bike to a very light (16lbs fully built out) and stiff bike and the difference is incredible. The acceleration is amazing each pedal stroke moves you so much faster and climbing is a lot easier. Also moving from a comfort geometry to a race geometry frame had made a lot of difference to my riding in the wind, I can hold a much higher speed into headwinds now that I am more aero in the hoods and drops.

I now have about 400 miles on my new bike and riding has become much more enjoyable. Stap your bike looks great and it is amazing how light it is. Many happy rides
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is quite a machine Sir. Enjoy it in the very best of health.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Many people state that moving up from a low end $1,000 bike to a moderate or high end bike with better materials is not worth it, hey its the engine that counts. Don't let them fool you, I moved from a relatively heavy bike to a very light (16lbs fully built out) and stiff bike and the difference is incredible. The acceleration is amazing each pedal stroke moves you so much faster and climbing is a lot easier. Also moving from a comfort geometry to a race geometry frame had made a lot of difference to my riding in the wind, I can hold a much higher speed into headwinds now that I am more aero in the hoods and drops.

I now have about 400 miles on my new bike and riding has become much more enjoyable. Stap your bike looks great and it is amazing how light it is. Many happy rides
    Nicely put. I agree 100%. After putting a couple hundred miles on the BMC, I rode the Trek 1200c on a 30-miler the other day. It felt like peddaling through mud while dragging an anchor.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike, enjoy being chuffed! I am going to add that word to my vocabulary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast