Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chased by 2-legged dog

So I'm riding my bike and I hear this dog coming towards me. I stop, turn around, and this poor dog is dragging his rear as he's running on his front legs to me. Both rear legs have bandages on them. The owner is yelling, "Frederick, NO!" Frederick doesn't care.

The owner never makes an appearance, although I can hear her calling from the house. So I get off the bike and walk up towards the house, figuring she doesn't have legs either.

She comes out, and I find out that Frederick was hit by a car years ago and the bandages are to help him get his knees up to use the legs. Now, I know dogs can get around fine when they're missing a few legs, but I still figure it can't be good for them to drag their body over landscape rocks.

I tell the woman I have to get back to my ride, and she says, "bye!"

Frederick is still not happy with me, although he has come over to sniff. I pause, and say, "Well, gotta go." Frederick barks and readies himself to chase me on the bike. I say, "He's going to follow me onto the road again."

She says, "Frederick, don't! This is a nice lady."

I say, "You need to hold him by the collar."

And she actually looked like it was a new concept to her. Poor Frederick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good anecdote....somehow, I admire Frederick a lot while his mistress leaves me cold.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen several three legged dogs walking around, but have never seen a two-legged dog chase a bike. That's quite a tale (tail?) you've got there.

Well, except for some human male two-legged dogs chasing a good looking woman on a bike.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the back legs don't work, and he's a male dog w/a name like Frederick.

Are you sure his name is not Sparky?????????

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    solveg, what kind of dog is in your trailer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great trailer you have, and a great looking dog. Corgi? Corgis are great.

It's actually not my dog in the trailer, although that's the trailer I have. I don't have any photos of mine in the trailer yet, although I sure wish I had some when my puppy in it the first time. She just screamed. But that dog is a German Shepherd, from the cycletote.com website.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    And the back legs don't work, and he's a male dog w/a name like Frederick.

Are you sure his name is not Sparky?????????

Yeah, you really think that would slow a male dog down, don't you....

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the old joke is old than you are.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I'm always missing jokes on this board. So you weren't talking about Frederick's perianal region??

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg
    That's a great trailer you have, and a great looking dog. Corgi? Corgis are great.

It's actually not my dog in the trailer, although that's the trailer I have. I don't have any photos of mine in the trailer yet, although I sure wish I had some when my puppy in it the first time. She just screamed. But that dog is a German Shepherd, from the cycletote.com website.
    Yes a Corgi. Thanks. He's in an old adult trike from a yard sale.
    I thought that might be a shepard, a big dog for some trailers. From straight on his face looks a little like a Corgi.

Let me know if you get some photos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I'm always missing jokes on this board. So you weren't talking about Frederick's perianal region??
    "perianal" doesn't show up in my "Merriam-Webster" search.

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

Sorry, but I'm not trying to stir up trouble.

Think I'll retire from this thread.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't perianals flowers that come up every year?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to two legged dogs...

My neighbor has a dog whose two front legs are paralyzed. They stick straight out the back by the dog's shoulder blades. He can get a head of steam going and walk on his two back legs, but most of the time she holds his front half up in a sling. That dog is lucky to have the owner he's got...every time I see him I'm reminded that my dogs with severe arthritis, kidney disease, and cancer are the lucky ones.

Solveg, what kind of trailer is that, and does it work well to haul dogs? I've been toying with the idea of getting a trailer to take my dogs with me on rides sometimes. It would need to handle two dogs, about 65 pounds total. TIA.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker
    Solveg, what kind of trailer is that, and does it work well to haul dogs? I've been toying with the idea of getting a trailer to take my dogs with me on rides sometimes. It would need to handle two dogs, about 65 pounds total. TIA.
    It's the dog tote from Cycletote. www.cycletote.com. It was pretty pricey, as all carts are, but it is a fantastic cart which you can customize with brakes, awnings, etc. Ours has 2 additional sets of "bars". each one replaces the bike attachment: one is to enable me to push* the cart if I don't have a bike and the other is for my Bernese Mountain Dogs to pull the cart like they do in the swiss mountains.

It's made really well and comes in different sizes. Mine was for my 100 lb pyrenees/golden mix. He lost use of his rear and could only walk about 15 feet without falling (at his worst). I rehabbed him, but the problem was that he would walk with eagerness only to lay down and quit. I would have to leave him tied to a tree to get the car, and I wasn't comfortable with that. So with the cycletote, me, him, and the bike would walk as long as he wanted and then I'd throw him in the cart for the ride home.

He was up to a mile a night right up until he died, 3 years later.

However, I see now that Burley makes a dog trailer, and it looks cheaper. I don't know how big it is, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, I see now that Burley makes a dog trailer, and it looks cheaper. I don't know how big it is, though.
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't run across Cycletote when I was searching for trailer options. The Burley has a weight capacity of 40 pounds, so that won't work.

If I can figure out where to ride with the dogs, I may just buy a trailer. The trail that runs along the creek near me has many twists and sharp turns that I doubt can be negotiated by a bike/trailer combination. But I could drive to the C&O Canal, which is straight and would have lots of birds and other wildlife for them to bark at. Hmmm...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know... there are people that use these carts to bike tour with their dogs. I plan on it some day, and I wouldn't hesitate doing winding roads with it, especially with the brakes on the cart. It's very stable. However, I don't go fast, especially* hauling a dog.

I should add that you have to get them used to it very* slowly or they'll freak out. Let them climb into it for a few days and reward them for it. Then, hook it up to the bike and do the same. It might take a week to get them comfortable enough to actually move the bike, and then you want to start slow.

The canopy serves 2 purposes: one is for shade, but the other is to keep ears out of the wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The canopy serves 2 purposes: one is for shade, but the other is to keep ears out of the wheels.
    Oh, good point. I hadn't thought of that. My dogs are cocker spaniels, so ears in wheels could be disastrous!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the dog tote from Cycletote. www.cycletote.com. It was pretty pricey, as all carts are, but it is a fantastic cart which you can customize with brakes, awnings, etc. Ours has 2 additional sets of "bars". each one replaces the bike attachment: one is to enable me to push* the cart if I don't have a bike and the other is for my Bernese Mountain Dogs to pull the cart like they do in the swiss mountains.

It's made really well and comes in different sizes. Mine was for my 100 lb pyrenees/golden mix. He lost use of his rear and could only walk about 15 feet without falling (at his worst). I rehabbed him, but the problem was that he would walk with eagerness only to lay down and quit. I would have to leave him tied to a tree to get the car, and I wasn't comfortable with that. So with the cycletote, me, him, and the bike would walk as long as he wanted and then I'd throw him in the cart for the ride home.

He was up to a mile a night right up until he died, 3 years later.

That looks like one of the nicest trailers I have ever seen. A lot better than most of the child trailers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, it could be worse. You could have been *caught* by a two-legged dog.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    That looks like one of the nicest trailers I have ever seen. A lot better than most of the child trailers.

Their special needs trailers for people are awesome, too. They'll customize for you with great service, and there's a lifetime warranty. I mean, shoot... they fashioned shafts* for the dogs to pull the cart.

I think there's cool touring stories in the testomonial pages. With the wide wheelbase and the full size wheels it's pretty much unnoticeable behind you. I remember one guy's story of regularly pulling 200 lbs in it with no problem. Even if I don't take a dog on a tour, I'll still use the cart.

Oh! And the tires fit into the trailer (at least my big one) with the bike attachement. I put a net over the whole thing and attach it to my roof rack.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl
    You know, it could be worse. You could have been *caught* by a two-legged dog.

yah, well, it could happen.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you and Fredrick should try to get on Letterman
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I get off the bike and walk up towards the house, figuring she doesn't have legs either.
    Now THAT caused my biggest laugh of the day.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.