Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good Ride Yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good Ride Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Ride Yesterday

I took my motor home in for some work before vacation yesterday. I was able to wait, so decided to take a bike and ride. Bedford Reservation was only a mile away. Having never ridden there, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was able to find out the trail was 6.5 mi. and figured a few times around would kill some time, and give me some good time in the saddle. The trail is paved and hilly; predominantly downhill in the direction I was going. In places there were the signs with a bike on a hill indicating steep hills. The trail ended at a bike & hike trail that runs from Bedford to Stow, Oh. From there it's basically flat with a couple of short, steep hills. I headed south toward Stow. The trail follows a road for a mile or so at one point. I met a nice guy there who knew the trail, so I rode with him for awhile. We split up when I needed something to eat. After that, I headed south again making it nearly to Stow when I saw my new friend coming north. I turned around and caught up with him, and rode back to where his car was parked. From that point I had to go back through the Reservation..........up those hills. I was crawling up the steeper ones in the little ring. All in all, I had a great ride, made a new friend, and rode 42 mi. The longest ride for me to date. Rode my Trek 7500, BTW. This ride could be done on my road bike. I may just do that.
Old 07-13-07, 08:50 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh
I took my motor home in for some work before vacation yesterday. I was able to wait, so decided to take a bike and ride. Bedford Reservation was only a mile away. Having never ridden there, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was able to find out the trail was 6.5 mi. and figured a few times around would kill some time, and give me some good time in the saddle. The trail is paved and hilly; predominantly downhill in the direction I was going. In places there were the signs with a bike on a hill indicating steep hills. The trail ended at a bike & hike trail that runs from Bedford to Stow, Oh. From there it's basically flat with a couple of short, steep hills. I headed south toward Stow. The trail follows a road for a mile or so at one point. I met a nice guy there who knew the trail, so I rode with him for awhile. We split up when I needed something to eat. After that, I headed south again making it nearly to Stow when I saw my new friend coming north. I turned around and caught up with him, and rode back to where his car was parked. From that point I had to go back through the Reservation..........up those hills. I was crawling up the steeper ones in the little ring. All in all, I had a great ride, made a new friend, and rode 42 mi. The longest ride for me to date. Rode my Trek 7500, BTW. This ride could be done on my road bike. I may just do that.
I sometimes think that the rides that just happen are the best. Great ride and a nice story. I'll bet you could really kick butt on your road bike...let us know how that goes.
Old 07-13-07, 09:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I averaged 10.5 mph, the pace the guy I rode with was at. I generally average 12.5-13 by myself. On the road bike I think 17 or 18 wouldn't be out of the question.