Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Milestones

  1. #1
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Milestones

    We all like to boast about our milestones, so here are two of mine:

    The end of June was half way through the year, and my mileage was 955 (1528 km). That slightly exceeds the 1520 km I cycled by the end of June, 1980, which was my previous record. I had 3685 km (2303 miles) at the end of that year, when I was 35 and in the best shape of my life. If I keep up the pace I might beat it this year (there are more winter months in the first half of year). I am not nearly as strong, but I have more time.

    I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles). Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice milestones.

    I'm hoping I can use the bike for more errands after I retire. One of the disadvantages of living in a rural area is often the doctor, dentist, etc are located in other towns and not easily accessed by bike. Fortunately this area has several bike paths that connect the smaller towns and it's getting easier each year to use the bike for something other than recreational riding.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  3. #3
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown
    We all like to boast about our milestones, so here are two of mine:

    The end of June was half way through the year, and my mileage was 955 (1528 km). That slightly exceeds the 1520 km I cycled by the end of June, 1980, which was my previous record. I had 3685 km (2303 miles) at the end of that year, when I was 35 and in the best shape of my life. If I keep up the pace I might beat it this year (there are more winter months in the first half of year). I am not nearly as strong, but I have more time.

    I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles). Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.
    Those are great numbers, Ken! Congratulations!

    BTW, I had a '69 Camaro. One of my favorite cars of all times!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  4. #4
    Wheezing Geezer Bud Bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crowley, Tx
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Ken. I'd also love to be able to do more of my errands on my bike. One of these days.....
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

    They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

  5. #5
    The Grampster tlc20010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown
    We all like to boast about our milestones, so here are two of mine:

    The end of June was half way through the year, and my mileage was 955 (1528 km). That slightly exceeds the 1520 km I cycled by the end of June, 1980, which was my previous record. I had 3685 km (2303 miles) at the end of that year, when I was 35 and in the best shape of my life. If I keep up the pace I might beat it this year (there are more winter months in the first half of year). I am not nearly as strong, but I have more time.

    I have owned 3 cars in my life; a 1970 Camaro (12 years, 110,000 miles), a 1982 Mercury (9 years, 130,000 miles), and my present vehicle, a 1991 Toyota (16 years so far, 207,000 miles).
    Now that I am retired I drive it about twice a week and go about 6 weeks between visits to the gas station. I am on a bike almost every day and use my city bike for all trips to the library, bakery, pub, bank, dentist, chiropractor, doctor, and most shopping.
    Great mileage. How many miles between meals are you getting?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

  6. #6
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ken, I took to riding, like a duck takes to water, but I'm always affraid, that my bike will get stolen if I leave it somewhere for to long. Anyhow congradulations on beating the car dealers out, and the riding as well, good luck.
    George

  7. #7
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverley, I also am lucky enough to be a short walk from a subway.

    DG, I paid $3550 for my Camaro and sold it 12 years later for $1200. That works out to less than $200 per year. I still love the look of the car, but it rusted badly.



    Grampster, the question should be how many miles between pubs.

    George, that is the reason I have a "city bike". It is my 30 year old 10-speed and is virtually unstealable.

  8. #8
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown
    Beverley, I also am lucky enough to be a short walk from a subway.

    DG, I paid $3550 for my Camaro and sold it 12 years later for $1200. That works out to less than $200 per year. I still love the look of the car, but it rusted badly.



    Grampster, the question should be how many miles between pubs.

    George, that is the reason I have a "city bike". It is my 30 year old 10-speed and is virtually unstealable.

    I knew I shouldn't have given my Trek to my kid.
    George

  9. #9
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown

    DG, I paid $3550 for my Camaro and sold it 12 years later for $1200. That works out to less than $200 per year. I still love the look of the car, but it rusted badly.
    Ken, I bought my '69 Camaro used from a dealer. I KNOW I bought it because the female salesperson told me "You look GOOD in that car!" I can't remember what I paid, but I do remember the payments were $47 a month. First car I ever financed.

    Traded that car in for a (good God, what was I thinking?) 1973 Dodge Dart because I had gotten married and my wife couldn't manage the Hurst shifter in the Camaro. Paid $3,000 total for the Dart but it wasn't worth a quarter of that! Moved to California with it, and the steering wheel starting coming off in my hands (little pieces of it) when it got hot outside.

    But I sure loved that Camaro. Sort of a British racing green color.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  10. #10
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

    Counting the days until I retire.......
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  11. #11
    rck
    rck is offline
    Senior Member rck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    monroe (sw) wi
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Posts
    1,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken,
    Consider it not boasting as that would be unseemly in those of our years. Consider it instead an aknowledgement, however public, of the completion of a milestone on the road to nirvana. This, in fact, adds a sense of spirituality to what might seem to some an inane activity. (pagans and the such) Ergo, it becomes not boasting and protects us from that sense of shame that often accompanies excessive pride.
    p.s. Congrats on being halfway to nirvana!

  12. #12
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to print off rck's post for more study and meditation.

  13. #13
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I'm going to have to print off rck's post for more study and meditation.
    I have a faint idea of what it means, I think.

  14. #14
    The Grampster tlc20010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    Ken,
    Consider it not boasting as that would be unseemly in those of our years. Consider it instead an aknowledgement, however public, of the completion of a milestone on the road to nirvana. This, in fact, adds a sense of spirituality to what might seem to some an inane activity. (pagans and the such) Ergo, it becomes not boasting and protects us from that sense of shame that often accompanies excessive pride.
    p.s. Congrats on being halfway to nirvana!
    Except on Tuesdays when the train goes straight through.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •