Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The reason I'm still watching the TdF is....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: I'm still watching the TdF because...
Out of habit, plain and simple.
13.79%
I still enjoy watching the strategy, even if all the cyclists are dopers.
51.72%
Because Liggett and Sherwin could make cock-fighting appear compelling.
20.69%
I like looking at the brightly colored jerseys.
8.62%
I like looking at all those cute cyclers' buns.
6.90%
I'd be watching the cage-fighting on Vs. anyway.
5.17%
I lost interest in WWF when I learned that some of the matches were rigged.
3.45%
I'm intensely jingoistic and think that the Americans will continue their TdF hegemony.
10.34%
I like to tick off my spouse who hates the crap.
6.90%
I work for the DEA and I'm looking to pick up a few pointers.
12.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 06:11 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

For me it's out of habit and to try to pick out my next team jersey.
Old 07-25-07, 06:28 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
No place for those who aren't watching or following it? Have lost interest in it over the years, and all the doping hasn't helped any either.
Old 07-25-07, 06:29 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
For me it's out of habit and to try to pick out my next team jersey.
Here are some smart little items, probably coming on sale real soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TM07ASTJ.jpg (29.7 KB, 6 views)
07cmaglia.jpg (48.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Jet Travis; 07-25-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 06:30 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The doping scandals in no way affect my enjoyment of watching the sport.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-25-07, 06:38 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still find it the most exciting sporting event on TV. There are way too many commercials, and I can't afford 3 to 5 hours each day, so I record it and do a lot of fast-forwarding. The end of every stage is exciting, and the whole of the mountain stages.

The doping is really regrettable and I hope they catch all the cheaters. Still, I am going to watch. I expect it is 12 or more years since a non-juiced rider won the tour. (Yes, I know what I am alleging)
Old 07-25-07, 06:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 Chipcom. I wouldn't throw away a sweet apple because of a brown spot. Better to cut out the spot and enjoy the greater apple. And, I really can't let cynicism overcome my appreciation for something that is not totally corrupt. The lack of perfection in a marriage partner or child doesn't have most of you walking away.

After all, look how long I've hung out here with you people despite............
Old 07-25-07, 06:56 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What things like this really bring to light are all the fair-weathered fans of cycling and the TDF.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-25-07, 07:10 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I follow Pro bike racing because of the commitment they put in to get to where they are. Watching the Pros causes me to ride more. Other sports have just as many drugs, they are just more corrupt.
Old 07-25-07, 07:15 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From pro cycling I learned what to do to improve my climbing (DOPE).
Old 07-25-07, 07:22 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
The lack of perfection in a marriage partner or child doesn't have most of you walking away.
OK, I guess this is OT, but....I knew this guy who was, in fact looking for the perfect woman. He must have gone out with 100 or more girls over a period of several years. And finally it actually happened. He met the perfect woman. Unfortunately, she was looking for the perfect man.

OK, back to the Tour.
Old 07-25-07, 07:35 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
What things like this really bring to light are all the fair-weathered fans of cycling and the TDF.
Fear not. My TiVo is still armed and ready....
Old 07-25-07, 07:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watch in hopes of seeing a white bike in the peloton...should happen sometime this century!
Old 07-25-07, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think they should simplify the whole thing. Test all the riders at once, and give the yellow jersey to the one who comes closest to being clean.
Old 07-25-07, 08:38 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We're cable and satellite free here, but we watch on the Internet. I'm constantly in awe these cyclists' abilities. Would that I could climb hills like they're nothing, or be unafraid to scream down miles and miles of downhills, or ride like there's no tomorrow in a time trial! I'm inspired and humbled.
Old 07-25-07, 09:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I knew this guy who was, in fact looking for the perfect woman. He must have gone out with 100 or more girls over a period of several years. And finally it actually happened. He met the perfect woman. Unfortunately, she was looking for the perfect man..

Hey, that was me. I'm still looking. Does DG have a sister?
Old 07-25-07, 09:58 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't see an option I can choose. I'm still watching for the same reason I've watched it for years. It is a great sporting event. Nothing else comes close to the excitement of seeing the strategies unfold as the best of the best pit themselves against each other and the slopes. Phil and Paul add to it by creating such a sense of drama describing the action and the subplots.
I'm glad to see they are finally getting serious about taking doping out of the equation. Other sports should follow the lead of cycling.
Old 07-25-07, 10:24 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I don't see an option I can choose. I'm still watching for the same reason I've watched it for years. It is a great sporting event. Nothing else comes close to the excitement of seeing the strategies unfold as the best of the best pit themselves against each other and the slopes. Phil and Paul add to it by creating such a sense of drama describing the action and the subplots.
I'm glad to see they are finally getting serious about taking doping out of the equation. Other sports should follow the lead of cycling.
Snap!
Them's my thoughts too.

Richard
Old 07-25-07, 10:31 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoy the strategies of the different stages. The helicopter photography of the countryside is spectacular. It is a wonder to me that so many drunk fans can actually run sideways, crossing their feet, and not fall into the ditch.

I don't really care who wins, I'm here for the party.
Old 07-26-07, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like it because its' great to watch. Its' beautiful photography of beautiful scenery and wonderful bike racing. Maybe the scandals don't bother me so much because (unlike other sports) the organization and teams seems to be coming down hard on cheaters to chase them out of the sport. I also don't invest too much in particular sport or entertainment personalities, so when one acts human, I don't feel much personal loss.
Old 07-26-07, 05:31 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love watching all cycling. It is really the challenge to overcome huge obstacles both physical and mental. How far can you push yourself before you crack, where do you attack. I watch as much for the guys like Jens Voight, Popovich, Menchov and Boogaard as for any of the major contenders. Watching these guys give every last drop to their team and then struggling to keep their bike upright and finish ahead of the cutoff is the real story of the TdF.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-26-07, 05:54 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I assure you I'm as much a fan of cycling as I've ever been. But I'd rather watch a race where the outcome is decided by pure talent, and not which team has the best dope doc, or manages to sneak under the radar for testing. A good collegiate race where the athletes are "clean" (hopefully) would have more appeal to me.
I still love baseball also, but I'm not going to celebrate Barry Bonds breaking any records. Having competed in sports while in school, I appreciate the competitive spirit, but hate that doping now plays such a part in the final outcome of many sports. Perhaps it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I'd be much more enthused if I felt the outcome was based on pure athleticism.
Old 07-26-07, 06:03 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I assure you I'm as much a fan of cycling as I've ever been. But I'd rather watch a race where the outcome is decided by pure talent, and not which team has the best dope doc, or manages to sneak under the radar for testing. A good collegiate race where the athletes are "clean" (hopefully) would have more appeal to me.
I still love baseball also, but I'm not going to celebrate Barry Bonds breaking any records. Having competed in sports while in school, I appreciate the competitive spirit, but hate that doping now plays such a part in the final outcome of many sports. Perhaps it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I'd be much more enthused if I felt the outcome was based on pure athleticism.
So which sport, at which level, is free of doping? Curling?

To me, the outcome is not as important as the sport itself - everything that happens from start to finish that leads to the outcome - or doesn't impact it at all, are what makes watching enjoyable. I lost my hero worship for the participants themselves back in grade school. It's just a game, enjoy it for what it is, rather than not enjoying it at all because of the things it shouldn't be.
Old 07-26-07, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like watching it because I am absolutely amazed at what the riders are able to do.

About doping. The organizers do seem to be quite a bit more serious about cleaning the sport (whatever that means) than oh, say baseball. Or football. Or golf. Or any other college or professional sport, even the Olympics. If baseball had kicked out all of their steroid freaks years ago, I might still be actually listening to or watching a baseball game now and then. It's been years since I even know who is in first place. NFL? Same way. NBA? Same. I think the effort to clean things up is sincere. That makes a huge difference to me. Perfection is not required, but honest effort and commitment is. I think they ARE making the honest effort.
Old 07-26-07, 07:57 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If baseball were as serious about stopping illegal chemical enhancements as cycling is, they would not be on the verge of seeing their most prized record about to be held by a person so many assume has cheated.
Old 07-26-07, 08:57 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So which sport, at which level, is free of doping? Curling?
I've heard there's a brewing poutine scandal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.