Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess who's thinking of going clipless finally?

Yep... Me.

I have my Roubaix at the shop for it's first tune-up. The one that comes free with purchase. After 650 miles or so, it was due.

So i'm thinking this is a good time to switch to clipless, because the shop said they'd give me a thorough fitting (saying it would take about an hour) with the new pedals on. The "fitting" they gave me when I bought the bike was a real quickie.

They also said my cheapo platform pedals were already wearing out (designed just to try out bikes on, actually). So I have to do something, so i might as well suck it up and go clipless.

They're recommending the Shimano 540 SPDs, since I already have (and like) my Shimano MTB shoes. The pedals are on sale for about $80, which I thought was high, but I'm finding that price or higher at places like Performance, etc.

Can you believe that DG is going clipless????
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From those of us who care deeply about you:

1. Set the clip tension as low as you can get it.

2. If you have a trainer, practice on the trainer clicking in and out.

3. If you don't, practice riding around large grassy lawns so it will cushion your fall.

4. Be sure to buy sexy shoes. Something made by Sidi (OK, you already have Shimano shoes, but these are Sidi's, dood).

5. Always give advise that is numbered, for easy reference.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    540 PDM or R-540? I presume for you roadie types R-540. Either way, you won't be sorry in a week or two after you've joined Club Tombe a time or two. Sure hope you don't hurt your bike when you fall. Which you will.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the multi release clips for your shoes, they may save you a fall.
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a few weeks you'll wonder what took so long to take the plunge. I can't imagine ever riding without them.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    George is right, spend the extra $20 on the gold multi release cleats and start at the lowest tension possible for the first few weeks.

Practice clipping and unclipping often and for the first few weeks plan ahead.

Club Tombay awaits, previous members who have fessed up are entitled to pie for the first fall.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay no attention to the folks implying that you are doomed to fall over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider Speedplay Drilliums first. Best platforms out there. $110.00 Pricey, but worth it.bk

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice this line for when you take that 0 mph fall in front of the young girl (required) -

girl - Are you alright sir?
    you - cant' breathe

Us old guys need to prepare beforehand since we don't think fast enough.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Yep... Me.

I have my Roubaix at the shop for it's first tune-up. The one that comes free with purchase. After 650 miles or so, it was due.

So i'm thinking this is a good time to switch to clipless, because the shop said they'd give me a thorough fitting (saying it would take about an hour) with the new pedals on. The "fitting" they gave me when I bought the bike was a real quickie.

They also said my cheapo platform pedals were already wearing out (designed just to try out bikes on, actually). So I have to do something, so i might as well suck it up and go clipless.

They're recommending the Shimano 540 SPDs, since I already have (and like) my Shimano MTB shoes. The pedals are on sale for about $80, which I thought was high, but I'm finding that price or higher at places like Performance, etc.

Can you believe that DG is going clipless????
    It was only a matter of time.

You did not ask for advice (like you have to ask on this forum) but I will suggest one thing that helped a lot when I started.....forget the trainer, you already know how to ride. Go ride the bike. Clip into one pedal (most people keep the right pedal clipped--I clip in left, but that is another story) and don't clip in the other side. That way you will always have your other foot free if you need to put a foot down. As you gain confidence, you will know when to clip in with both feet. On an open stretch of path or road, clip in and clip out while you are riding at a moderate pace. It is a little scary at first, but so was riding without training wheels and you learned to do that.

After you read all of the advice you are going to get, just go do what seems best for you. Oh, and don't believe a thing Tom B says about this, he has no idea what he is talking about.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you know what I'm thinking so I won't even bother to say it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG...........Every time you push back your cycling boundaries I'm reminded of your observation long ago that you were perfectly happy to be a low mileage, low zoot rider. You are a cycling Everyman doing all the things that everyone else here has done or gone through at some point in time. Many smiles of self-recognition for lots of us I'll bet.

My bit of advice: Make sure your left foot goes in the left clip, and your right goes in the right-- not reversed. It's more efficient pedaling that way.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Oh, and don't believe a thing Tom B says about this, he has no idea what he is talking about.
    The Grampster is a genius and you should follow his advice to the letter.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    The Grampster is a genius and you should follow his advice to the letter.
    See what I mean?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Clip into one pedal (most people keep the right pedal clipped--I clip in left, but that is another story) and don't clip in the other side. .
    I'm curious as to why you clip in the left foot. I've noticed most the people I ride with clip into the right foot but like you I always clip into the left first.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually entertained the thought, especially when my foot slides off the pedal. But it's still a loooooong way off.

I'm looking forward to a full report!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I'm curious as to why you clip in the left foot. I've noticed most the people I ride with clip into the right foot but like you I always clip into the left first.
    I had my left knee replaced a few years ago and like to avoid any more torque on that knee than necessary. Most folks keep their right foot clipped in to help avoid chain tattoos on their calf.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't go on Texas street on your first try

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be looking for a 30 day report as well. I was clipless for about 5 weeks. Apparently doing something wrong, as I have gone faster and fallen less when I put the platforms back on.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deeg,

If you're gonna splurge on spd pedals, ya might as well go all out and get a pair of Shimano cycling sandals. You'll never regret it. Just ask Fox or anyone else who's tried them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Deeg,

If you're gonna splurge on spd pedals, ya might as well go all out and get a pair of Shimano cycling sandals. You'll never regret it. Just ask Fox or anyone else who's tried them.
    If you get sandals I suggest looking for some that are not open toe.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wife took her first ride on the new bike that replaced the dead bianchi. In addition to the other modifications, I had a set of speedplay light action pedals installed for her new Sidi genius shoes. She had only used spds before that...She loved em. So, Gary...remember that my wife had to be dragged kicking and screaming to spds...but she'd never go back again

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Power Grips. Not sure they do much for my performance but they keep my feet on my pedals as tight as anything could and are very comfortable to use. Look pretty dorky though. I like how I can wear my comfy Merrill hikers - because when I'm out, I'm likely to take a hike or walk around a town.

I'm sure no roadie would want to be seen with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Crank Brothers stuff. http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php
    Just think of the names we could call you.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I like my Power Grips. Not sure they do much for my performance but they keep my feet on my pedals as tight as anything could and are very comfortable to use. Look pretty dorky though. I like how I can wear my comfy Merrill hikers - because when I'm out, I'm likely to take a hike or walk around a town.

I'm sure no roadie would want to be seen with them.
    Definitely not on my good road bike. Look pedals and Sidi shoes for that. But I wouldn't mind trying Power Grips on my old MTB converted to an upright casual street bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast