Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Met a couple of roadies tonight.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 03:40 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

On DG's ride tonight- I stopped at my usual cafe. Unusual part was a couple of riders also stopped for coffee and they were a bit stand offish- Well they had to be. They were OCP on Pinarrello's- No saddle wedge for tube and tools and No water bottles- Well if you have a light bike- why ruin it by cluttering it up with surplus weight. Don't think they had a problem as both were about 140 lbs of Sinew and bone.

Eventually they got to talking but it was about the Pinarrello bikes and how superb they are. Had a quick look at them and Tiagra fitments- rusty chain on one and it did look as though the Front wheel on one was well and truly out.

I was on the Boreas and this is not a flashy bike- does not stand out at all. Just as we were leaving- one of them asked about the bike- well didn't ask- but hinted about the A520 pedals. Not really a road pedal and I would be better off getting a Road pedal and Road shoe. I mentioned that I have only just gone to road riding from mountain biking and ride up on the hills And use an MTB shoe and pedal on all of the bikes. One of them had an MTB and "Are the offroad routes O.K round here?" "Yea- fine- you name the hill or the distance and you can get it." was my reply. "In fact- if you want a decent ride- you can do the South Downs Way in one day" They didn't fancy that as offroad jars the body a bit. Then I let it drop that if you get the right seat post- then you can get suspension enough for the Butt and the Body. Suspension post?--"Ah well if you are the stoker on a Tandem- then you need one offroad." At that they were amazed- as most people are. Offroading is bad enough but to do it on a Tandem is Stupid. (And even I have to agree about that sometimes)

For some reason they lost interest in me and started to go. Final comment I heard was- "Did you see his bike" "Yea- Not a good bike. Never heard of the make (Almost as if it was a cheap mail order special) but the components look good" 5 minutes later and I passed them on the seafront on my way home. I was just starting to push and there they were at the side of the road- Looking at the rear wheel on one of them. Mobile phone to the Ear.

For some reason- I didn't stop.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-13-07, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt you would've been able to help them, anyway.
Old 07-13-07, 03:54 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Couple of posers who thought they were more than they were. Pinarellos with ShimaNO Tiagra? That seems almost sacreligious. And the rusty chain is unforgiveable.

I think you will eventually come to agree with them about the pedals though.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-13-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 04:07 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadies or south bound end of a north bound donkey?
Old 07-13-07, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't quite know what I am. I ride a road bike...........with the proper gear. I ride a hybrid.........with the proper gear. I'm getting a mountain bike. I wave and say "Hi"...........no matter what I'm riding.
Old 07-13-07, 09:22 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam

I was on the Boreas and this is not a flashy bike- does not stand out at all.
I love those kind of bikes. Quiet, humble, well-made steeds that can take you from here to there with understated exquisite grace, charm and efficiency.
Old 07-14-07, 05:30 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh
I don't quite know what I am. I ride a road bike...........with the proper gear. I ride a hybrid.........with the proper gear. I'm getting a mountain bike. I wave and say "Hi"...........no matter what I'm riding.
You don't sound like a roadie. Too uncommitted. What do you think your doing, having fun?
Old 07-14-07, 06:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
You don't sound like a roadie. Too uncommitted. What do you think your doing, having fun?
You nailed it. I'm an uncommitted, fun-loving bike rider. When my wife, son and I ride together, we putt along as the Immortal Pedaling Alligators. The riders we encounter that appear less than friendly, or snobby, must be committed.
Old 07-14-07, 07:08 AM
Hoz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason they lost interest in me and started to go. Final comment I heard was- "Did you see his bike" "Yea- Not a good bike. Never heard of the make (Almost as if it was a cheap mail order special) but the components look good" 5 minutes later and I passed them on the seafront on my way home. I was just starting to push and there they were at the side of the road- Looking at the rear wheel on one of them. Mobile phone to the Ear.

Ok, what did you do? ;-)
Old 07-14-07, 09:55 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On weekends, holidays, and some other days I am a Trail Watch volunteer on an MUP close (1 mile) to my home. I carry spare tubes for common tires along with tools and small parts to get most common problems fixed and the rider back on the bike and headed home. I also carry a first aid kit and an old cell phone so I can call 911 for anyone needing medial help or report illegal activates. The bike I use is an older Hybrid fitted with racks so I can haul all that stuff. Occasionally I'll have some snobbish Roadies make comments about me and my bike but if anyone else in the group knows me they will immediately tell them that I can save there day and maybe there life and explain that I or other Trail Watch volunteers are carrying a spare tube and parts for there bike and can call an ambulance for them as well. Those Snobbish attitudes rapidity dissipate when they are informed what Trail Watch volunteers are doing.