Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwinn Electric-Assist Bike

I've seen these here and there for years. This new Schwinn looks like it gets a lot of things right. Saw one at a LBS for $1650 the other day, where they said sales have been strong.

This is the type of product that reflects the aging of the Baby Boomers. Nicer than what was out before, pricier as today's retirees have far more disposable income, and enabling for someone to continue to be active. I could see this being attractive to say couples where one is in better health than the other but both would like to go on bike rides together.

Schwinn claims that the battery can assist pedaling for up to 60 miles. My LBS said that under most conditions it can work for at least 40 miles.

The weight is high, in the mid-40s, but still much lower than most electric or gas assisted bikes have been in the past. And it isn't immediately obvious that it has a motor, so one could ride it without drawing attention. The motor is in the front hub, battery pack under the rack.

If my wife told me that this would get her out on the trails with me, at least on a semi-regular basis, I'd pop for one.

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=892
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-14-07 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks an awful lot like a Brooks saddle on that machine.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a Made-in-China Brooks clone, but could be wrong. It is a leather saddle.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often see Elecrtric assist bikes on my way to work. Ideal for certain people- those that want to get exercise but have a disability- are not strong enough- or are lazy.
    You still have to do some work with these things though so you still get a workout in some way. I have a lad at work that was grossly overweight. Part of his getting fit regime is to cycle to work- On his electric bike. He lives 11 miles away but rain or shine or Rain or snow- and that bike is his mode of transport. Not as good as a "REAL" bike but as he said- He could not cycle a proper bike that distance- He can with a bit of assistance use his electric so at least he does get some exercise.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan