Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I get miles where I can now

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's been tough getting in my miles, what with the new addition and all.
Of course, my run of luck this week hasn't been too good either.
But Mrs Kai and I have worked out our schedules and I got to go out for a bit this morning
I just HAD to try out my new A520s which I put on last night but got kind of rained out of a test ride.
And another good spin on my Amadillo Roubaixs is always called for
And I like my Kool Stops in the rear so much, I took a moment to throw a set on the front. I like 'em even better there (if Brooks lives as much up to its hype as Kool Stop, then I have to get a B-17 )

So, inspired by the Tour de France, I set out for my ride. Up over the hill down to Linda Mar Bay. Did a couple of flat miles there, scarfed a couple of Fig Newtons, then headed up Roberts Road... sort of my own climb in the alps. A half mile climb that starts up sharply then levels off for a steady grind to the top. Yes, I am only talking about 1/2 mile but for me, that's a climb. To do that without having to stop... well, that feels pretty good.

Then I rode the flat to Vallemar... a nice wooded, 2 1/2 mile loop. All elevated going in and downhill going out. Bumpy but nice.

And then I headed home. A nice 17.5 miles but where ever there was a flat option vs an uphill option, I took the hillier route. Considering I haven't had a ton of sleep this week and am pretty tired, I did OK with legs that kind of went dead on me after my first climb ( 1/3 mile at 6.5%).

I am tired and happy. The A520s are nice. I think I'll keep 'em
Old 07-14-07, 06:37 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Could be worse. You could be covered in scabs and bandages like Vino.
Old 07-14-07, 06:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Instead of going out and doing 12-16 miles this evening on the flat (well, flat'ish in my neck of the woods, where there actually is a bit of elevation gain going on) rail trail, I decided to do the SKT Junior Two-Step.

My house sits on the side of a hill. This hill is just 0.3 miles long of a 6% grade - it climbs 90' in 3/10ths of a mile.

Tonight I decided to loop around the subdivision and do the hill four times. I usually avoid hills like the plague. But I need to start building a little muscle to go along with my increased endurance. Each loop was about a mile. So it was a short 4 mile ride, with a fair amount of coasting (and panting).

When I topped the hill the first time, without any warmup, I was going 7.4 mph. The 2nd time it was 8.2 mph, the third was 8.5, and the fourth was 8.8. I was going 8.5 up it the fourth time and then was able to gain a little speed while going up - not a common occurrence for me.

So this was my tribute to SKT ride - I was thinking about how he looks for hills.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-14-07, 06:55 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Instead of going out and doing 12-16 miles this evening on the flat (well, flat'ish in my neck of the woods, where there actually is a bit of elevation gain going on) rail trail, I decided to do the SKT Junior Two-Step.

My house sits on the side of a hill. This hill is just 0.3 miles long of a 6% grade - it climbs 90' in 3/10ths of a mile.

Tonight I decided to loop around the subdivision and do the hill four times. I usually avoid hills like the plague. But I need to start building a little muscle to go along with my increased endurance. Each loop was about a mile. So it was a short 4 mile ride, with a fair amount of coasting (and panting).

When I topped the hill the first time, without any warmup, I was going 7.4 mph. The 2nd time it was 8.2 mph, the third was 8.5, and the fourth was 8.8. I was going 8.5 up it the fourth time and then was able to gain a little speed while going up - not a common occurrence for me.

So this was my tribute to SKT ride - I was thinking about how he looks for hills.
Way to crank out hill repeats, Tom!

Next thing we know, you'll be looking for 8% hills...then 9, 10, 11...who knows where this insanity will end?

I am impressed by how many of us are raising our bar and exceeding our expectations. And we're having fun doing it. Ah, the good life!
Old 07-15-07, 01:18 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Both Tom and SKT have to realise that no matter what sort of ride they attempt- they have hills. I at least have a choice- in that I have areas where I can get in flat rides. They are not as much fun though- In fact they are boring. Nothing better than getting up that Hill, or slope, in a manner that would make others puff and push the bike.

I admit that I am taking it easy on the Bike at present so only taking in a few gentle slopes. Mainly so I can sort out the new bike and get myself adjusted to it. Can't wait to attempt my first 15% er without the triple fitted

The pair of you may not be getting the milage in that some others do- But 20 miles taking in hills is worth 40 on the flat. And is more of an achievement. Just realise that flatlanders get vertigo whenever they see a hill and find another route to bypass them. You don't have that choice.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-07, 05:39 AM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good for you, Tom! Riding hills is one of the best ways to get stronger, fast. It's also a good diet motivator (do you really want to drag that half-dozen donuts up the hill with you). When I started, I ducked hills whenever possible, and with a flat MUP right across the street from my apartment, it was easy to do. I'm getting over my climbing phobia, and it's done a lot for my riding. Stick with the climbing workouts, and I think you'll be very pleased with the results.
Old 07-15-07, 05:40 AM
as I used to be

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Way to crank out hill repeats, Tom!

Next thing we know, you'll be looking for 8% hills...then 9, 10, 11...who knows where this insanity will end?

I am impressed by how many of us are raising our bar and exceeding our expectations. And we're having fun doing it. Ah, the good life!
It ends at the summit of Mont Ventoux, as Stapfam can testify.

Last edited by NotAsFat; 07-15-07 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-15-07, 06:01 AM
as I used to be

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
it's been tough getting in my miles, what with the new addition and all.
Of course, my run of luck this week hasn't been too good either.
But Mrs Kai and I have worked out our schedules and I got to go out for a bit this morning
I just HAD to try out my new A520s which I put on last night but got kind of rained out of a test ride.
And another good spin on my Amadillo Roubaixs is always called for
And I like my Kool Stops in the rear so much, I took a moment to throw a set on the front. I like 'em even better there (if Brooks lives as much up to its hype as Kool Stop, then I have to get a B-17 )

So, inspired by the Tour de France, I set out for my ride. Up over the hill down to Linda Mar Bay. Did a couple of flat miles there, scarfed a couple of Fig Newtons, then headed up Roberts Road... sort of my own climb in the alps. A half mile climb that starts up sharply then levels off for a steady grind to the top. Yes, I am only talking about 1/2 mile but for me, that's a climb. To do that without having to stop... well, that feels pretty good.

Then I rode the flat to Vallemar... a nice wooded, 2 1/2 mile loop. All elevated going in and downhill going out. Bumpy but nice.

And then I headed home. A nice 17.5 miles but where ever there was a flat option vs an uphill option, I took the hillier route. Considering I haven't had a ton of sleep this week and am pretty tired, I did OK with legs that kind of went dead on me after my first climb ( 1/3 mile at 6.5%).

I am tired and happy. The A520s are nice. I think I'll keep 'em
Sometimes, it's hard to make time for a good ride. Glad you could work one in. Clipless pedals are fantastic. Once you get used to them, you hate to ride on platforms.

It always feels good to beat a tough climb. Whatever your definition of tough is, when you get to the end of the climb, you feel like you've accomplished something. And you have.
Old 07-15-07, 06:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
It ends at the summit of Mont Ventoux, as Stapfam can testify.
No it doesn't!!!!!! I am thinking-ONLY THINKING mind you- of going back to France next year- There is a Ventoux ride that might be worth trying But Tom will have to go clipless for this one. Start at Bedoin- climb Ventoux- Go to Malaucen- climb Ventoux- Go to Salin- Climb ventoux- Collapse. Any one else fancy a trip to France say the Beginning of June 08- or 09- or somewhen.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-07, 06:59 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow, Bombadil doing hill repeats. The next thing we know DG will be asking about going clipless.
Old 07-15-07, 12:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
Sometimes, it's hard to make time for a good ride. Glad you could work one in. Clipless pedals are fantastic. Once you get used to them, you hate to ride on platforms.

It always feels good to beat a tough climb. Whatever your definition of tough is, when you get to the end of the climb, you feel like you've accomplished something. And you have.
Oh, for sure, and I had already made that choice. I put a pair of M324s on my Kaitai within its first year and had my (former) LBS put a pair of faux 324s on the Reno when I bought it. They broke in pretty short order and got replaced with the 520s, true road pedals. And, no, there will be no going back for me. No way. I learned that as soon as I could no longer click into the broken pedal a couple of days ago.

The thing I love about Roberts Road is it's long enough that I feel like I'm really doing something. It's not just a minute or two and over the top, it actually takes me a little bit of time -not sure why, though. 1/3 mile at 5-6 mph shouldn't take that long; only 2 or 3 minutes, right? maybe it just feels long.- and, yes, it does feel good at the top
Old 07-15-07, 02:36 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
We've been having a difficult time also, trying to fit some riding time in. A friend got hold of us about riding today, so got the Reno's out and ended up with 18 miles of very enjoyable riding. Took some roads through some neighborhoods we'd never been through before, and ended up on a road that parallels the Ohio River. Rode along there into Louisville, through and around the city, and back to where we started. Didn't really realize how much I was missing riding until it was over. Had time allowed, might have slipped another 12 miles in, just to make it 30, as we weren't tired at all, but weren't pushing it either. Well, up to take care of the horses, and back to grill some burgers for dinner, then take the dogs out for their walk. I think we made sure the bird had water this morning, but I'll have to check him also. Did I mention we love our pets--and they all take up time, but wouldn't give 'em up for anything. (might ignore 'em for a while to slip in a ride though).
And still on mtb platforms-though I haven't sold the spds yet-so maybe one day?