Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 on 71, Me and Fuji

Ol' Fuj and I decided to do a good ride today. We rode down Scenic U.S. 71 from Fayetteville, AR to Mountainburg, AR.

I took the camera and got some good photos; however, I'm having problems inserting a normal size photo. They're all huge so that you have to scroll across the page, which I hate. The pics are on photobucket, but I can't seem to get them down to the right size I reduced the size in photobucket to the "message board" size, copied with the img icon, and pasted, but in a trial message, the image was still huge!!!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Anyway, we rode 71 miles on U.S. 71, and according to the routeslip site, we did 2,965' of climbing.

It was a great day, about 85 deg, give or take a little, and negligible wind most of the time.

About 3 or 4 miles down the south side of the mountain, me and Fuj were rolling down hill hell bent for leather, and a genuine beep, beep roadrunner stepped out in the road ahead of us. I'm thinking this aint gonna be pretty. At that speed, I'm holding on for dear life, and sudden corrections in course would result in a broken bike and body parts. I suppose I looked enough like Wiley Coyote that he quickly put his tail down moved his head forward and transformed himself from a well-defined member of the animal kingdom into a blur and disappeared into the bushes.

Fuel and fluids worked out well on this run. Normal carbohydrate cocktail for breakfast (oatmeal, ground flax seed, oat bran, blueberries, walnuts, honey) and a couple mugs of my high viscosity Louisiana coffee. A pint of gatorade and a banana just before I started pedaling. About 12 miles into the ride, I stopped at the rest area and did granola bars plus honey and more gatorade in preparation for the climb up Mt. Gaylor. More granola and gatorade atop the mountain, about 22 miles. Lunch in Mountainburg (about 33 miles) consisted of a Snickers Marathon bar, more granola bars, honey, and you guessed it, more gatorade. Fuj and I rolled up the long side of the mountain with no problems. We started at 760' elevation in Mountainburg, and about 10 miles later, we were back at the top at about 2,040' elevation. No speed records were established on this climb, but we made it without bonking. We stopped back at the rest area and refueled before rolling back to Fayetteville.

Great day. I just wish I could post the pics.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to congratulate you until I see pictures.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j
    Great day. I just wish I could post the pics.
    I am seriously jealous of the ride. NW Ark is one of my favorite places in the world. I get back as often as I can (Mother's family goes back several generations) tho I have never ridden there. You can post links to photobucket by copying the "IMG" address that appears beneath your image in your albums and pasting it into your post. For example:

All we have to do is double click on the address and we have ride pics! I am looking forward to seeing yours.
    (edit) I just noticed that the Photobucket address does not show up on the post, only the pic, so there is no need for double clicking
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm still unable to post pics which aren't the size of drive-in movie screen, so I'll try using links.

The first stop on the ride was the rest area about 12 miles south of the start/finish point.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0081.jpg

The photo in the link is the rest area in Brentwood, AR. Back in the day when U.S. 71 was the main north/south thoroughfare in this area, the state maintained the area. With the opening of I-540, the state eventually dropped the area. Later, the citizens of Brentwood started maintaining it. Not only do they maintain it, they improved it by adding the shelter. It's a great place to stop for water, a little conversation and the call of nature. The west fork of the White River runs through the rest area.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0080.jpg

Photo in the link is the river. It parallels U.S. 71 from West Fork to somewhere around Winslow. When there's no traffic and when my terminal tinnitis isn't overwhelming, I can hear the water rushing over the rocks. It's quite a beautiful site and soothing to the ears.

I met another cyclist, Brain, at the rest area and invited him to ride with me. He said he would ride along but might not go all the way to Mountainburg.

The next photo is at Winslow at the base of Mt. Gaylor on the north side of the mountain. The information on the sign is quite accurate. Brian shot this photo of me and Ol' Fuj.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0083.jpg

Brian and I rode together to the top of Mt. Gaylor and took a break under a tree at an old well.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0066.jpg

The well is on the property where the three chows usually come out and give chase. For the second week in a row, they remained under the carport. I've befriended them in previous rides, so I don't consider them a threat.

Down the mountain toward Mountainburg is Artist Point. The view there is really beautiful.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0086.jpg

In this photo, you see Ol' Fuj taking a break, and in the next photo is the view to the east.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0088.jpg

Down the hill more is Lake Fort Smith, which will serve primarily as a reservoir for drinking water for Ft. Smith, AR. As I understand it, the lake is fairly new. Given all the rain we've had of late, it has filled ahead of schedule by a couple of months. The park below the dam is not complete, and I was unable to get any closer for more pics. The dam is an earthen structure.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0091.jpg

On the way home, back up the mountain, I shot Interstate 540, way down below. I thank my lucky stars for I-540. It took most of the traffic off U.S. 71 and turned it into a great place for cycling and taking in peace and quiet and natural beauty. The mountain in the background is the way back home.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/HPIM0094.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed my ride as much as I did. I hope the links worked.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely stunning!! I'm even more envious than before. All rides are good rides. Some are gooder than others. More! More!
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, great pictures of a great ride. What kind of bag is that you have on your top tube? Iv'e been thinking of getting one for longer rides.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When there's no traffic and when my terminal tinnitis isn't overwhelming, I can hear the water rushing over the rocks. It's quite a beautiful site and soothing to the ears.
    The pictures are fabulous. Such a great place to ride.

OT: Does your tinnitis ever quit or at least let up? I have the same problem and mine seems to get worse when I'm stressed. Since biking is relaxing for me I get some relief from those constant crickets when riding
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    What kind of bag is that you have on your top tube? Iv'e been thinking of getting one for longer rides.
    It's called a triangle bag, and I got it from Inertia Designs; however, the last time I checked, they're not available any more.

There's another one available from Jandd. http://www.jandd.com/search_results....vel=2&subcat=5

They call their's a frame pack. As I recall, it's a little longer than the one I have. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the Jandd frame pack because it's a tad larger.

It has come in really handy for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    OT: Does your tinnitis ever quit or at least let up? I have the same problem and mine seems to get worse when I'm stressed. Since biking is relaxing for me I get some relief from those constant crickets when riding

The ears ring 24 x 7. The intensity varies, but it's always there. At times it's so loud, I'm surprised others can't hear them ringing.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm still unable to post pics which aren't the size of drive-in movie screen, so I'll try using links.
    Nice pictures and a nice ride. Here's the deal on posting from Photobucket. If you want to post thumbnails of your pictures, check the boxes beside the names of the pictures in your Photobucket abum that you want to post. Then go to the bottom of the album page and click on the "Generated HTML, Ebay and IMG Code" button. On the page that comes up, copy the links in the "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended" box. Post that in your message and you should get something like this.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.