Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Dog trailer

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog trailer

My dog would like to go riding with me. We've discussed it and agreed that running alongside is just silly - he's likely to get under the bike causing pain and embarrassment to both, besides which, he reckons doing things the hard way is for cats. He wants a Trailer

He's a German Spitz - sizing could be described as 'small medium' or 'largish small'. I don't know his weight. He's well behaved and I've no fears about the training aspect (been training dogs for thirty years).

So, what do I need to look for in a suitable dog trailer?
    What to avoid?
    Good things to add?

Price is an issue, and availability. Here in Australia, we tend not to get the nice brands and the selection that you do. Most child carriers that I've seen tend to vary from 'yuck' to 'oh, I guess I can live with that' so a discussion of desirable features (number of wheels, type of wheels, covers, etc) is probably the most use.

My current thinking is a to get a second hand child trailer and modify (take out the seats, etc).

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa
    My dog would like to go riding with me. We've discussed it and agreed that running alongside is just silly - he's likely to get under the bike causing pain and embarrassment to both, besides which, he reckons doing things the hard way is for cats. He wants a Trailer

Richard
    Ask the dog.

Seriously, I seem to recall seeing a lot of trailer discussion in the Recreation & Family section, there's a thread titled "rehabbed a kiddie trailer" in the Living Car Free threads, check Commuting also.

Happy Trails
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-15-07 at 04:42 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This setup seemed to work well for this guy I saw on BRAG last year. I don't know the brand or model.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's sweet*.

I got mine from cycletote.com, but it is expensive and my only option for a big dog. Your dog would fit in the new burly dog cart, but it might cost a fortune to ship. With a dog like a spitz, I think you could modify a children's cart.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, fitting a training wheel to me bike ... nah

The modified kiddy trailer seems the cheap option. Lots of second hande ones on ebay ... pity they're all in other cities. Typically, a really cheap trailer came up on ebay as I started my search. Only a few minutes left on the auction, I hadn't done any research at that stage, so let myself be outbid. Now that I've done the research, I would have happily gone another $20 - ah well, something else will come along.

What's the difference between a kid's trailer and a dog trailer? Just the seats and a bit of rubber on the floor? Or is it a bit deeper than that.

There's an online shop here in Australia that sells the K9 Carrier for $300, which is about the price of the kid's trailers in the shops. That's a tad more than I'd like to spend right now, unless I could be assured that the dog'll be with me on most of my rides - I'm fighting the 'this sounds like a good idea' vs 'this is a good idea' battle at the moment.

Solveg, when do YOU take your dog for a ride and what stops you? (nice avatar btw, it's been eating at me for weeks and is part of the reason I'm going this route )

Richard

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Cycletote.com and under products choose "doggie tote". This is, in my opinion, the best of the best, so you can read about all the features it has and compare others to it. The covered part is good for protecting ears.

There is a big* discussion about traveling with your dog in the touring area. Do a search for dog there. I've only done local riding with mine on bike paths but liked the idea of touring once I was down to one dog (mine are currently about 80 lbs each). However, once I read the thread, there were several reasons to not* tour with your dog that I thought had some merit.

In general, my take on it is that no matter what the hardship, your dog would rather be with you than anywhere else. On the other hand, there's a ton* of stupid things we as owners can thoughtlessly do to our dogs, and I don't want to do any of them. So until I know how hot the pavement ( and the cart) gets* at 4 in the afternoon where I'm going, I'm not going to use my dog as a test. There are tons of points like this that get brought up in that other thread....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, a searching I will go.
    Funny how there are always aspects we don't think about (the tarmac temp for example) but I agree, Skipper spends all his time with me otherwise and watching him the car tells me he'd rather be asleep on the back seat than asleep at home under the boat.

Richard