Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First century: hints beyond the basics?

I'm attempting my first century next Saturday on the Holland (MI) Hundred. I think I have the basics down: pace myself, keep hydrated, snack frequently, wear sunblock, pray for a tailwind...

In terms of pace, I'm shooting for a leisurely 14-16mph. Up to 18 on the flats (I routinely do 18-20mph on club rides) if no headwind once I'm well warmed up. Low and slow on uphills. Course is supposed to be flat to rolling.

It's an organized ride with rest stops and SAG support.

Of course I'll have my seat bag with patch kit, spare tube & multi tool. Frame mounted pump too. I'll have a small fanny pack with some energy snacks (I like halvah - lots of Indian groceries around here) and a few Ibuprofen (for the general stiffness that occurs on longish rides) and maybe a vest or rain jacket if precip is possible. Two water bottles. Wallet with cash and ID of course (never without it).

I'll clean & lube my chain/drivetrain and check my wheels for true this week. Just installed new brakepads.

Beyond that, any of you century/tour veterans have any useful little tips/tricks?
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound ready. Rest up the latter part of the week, drink plenty of fluids and eat a little extra in the 2-3 days before the ride.

One thing I look for on an organized century is opportunities to sit in on a paceline if the right one comes along. If I slowly catch a small group who seem to be riding sensibly, I'll hang on the back for a while to rest. Or if a group catches me but don't seem too fast or erratic, I'll latch on for a while. If it is a good fit, I'll ride with them for a while, taking my turn up front in the rotation. If not, I'll leave them or let them go as the case may be.

This helps save a little energy for the long ride. But only do it if you are comfortable with group riding in general and the specific group in particular.

Enjoy the ride and tell us all about it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound well trained- just not practiced.

Main problem for most is around the 70 to 80 mile mark. That is where things start hurting and there is a strong chance of bonking. So around the 65 mile mark stop- Eat a liberal amount of Carbo-hydrates, drink a full bottle of water and stretch the legs- the arms and the back. On the carb side- I would eat a bit of pasta- rice- bread- sticky buns in the week before the ride. This is called carbo loading and you may put on a few lbs in the week. Don't worry- You will lose it quick enough in and after the ride. And forget the ibruprufen unless it really hurts. Take aspirin instead as this thins the blood and helps it carry oxygen round the body quicker.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibuprophen is my drug of choice.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably know this already, but I had spaghetti Friday and I when for a 30 miler yesterday and I couldn't believe the power I had. The reason I stopped is because of rain. I had my bags on the bike, which made the bike weigh 43# and I made the 30 in just over 2 hours. Anyhow I wish you luck and have a fun ride.
    George

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love pasta -- so the nutrition advice sounds both reasonable and enjoyable! Hadn't thought of that. I seem to recall that extra water for a day or two before is a good idea.

On my metric last year the biggest problem I had (besides getting cocky and falling in with a paceline of hammerheads for about 10 miles) was chafing near the end. Would having a little Bag Balm or the like along be a good idea? I hope to fall in with some folks near the beginning - supposedly they have an area at the start for that purpose. I do 2-4 club rides a week so I'm no stranger to a paceline.

BTW, Holland is a pretty town in a pretty part of the state, so Mrs. and I are making a long weekend of it, arriving the day before & returning Monday. While I'm riding there is enough to keep her entertained.

Oh, and if I remember to bring a camera...
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Wikpedia
    A new carbo-loading regimen developed by scientists at the University of Western Australia calls for a normal diet with light training until the day before the race. On the day before the race, the athlete performs a very short, extremely high-intensity workout (such as a few minutes of sprinting), then consumes 12 g of carbohydrate per kilogram of lean mass over the next 24 hours. The regimen reportedly resulted in a 90% increase in glycogen storage.[1]

Carbohydrate loading is generally recommended for endurance events lasting longer than 90 minutes. For many endurance athletes the food of choice for carbo-loading is spaghetti. Because of this, hundreds of marathons and triathlons have huge spaghetti dinners the night before the race
    take a full bottle of 10% strength carbohydrate sports drink like PSP 20

Eat often, nibbling before getting hungry. Try not to have too much to eat at the stops, digestion will divert a lot of energy from your body.

Don't go out too fast, pace yourself, let the speed merchants go, wheel suck when you can, every time a group come past take a breather by sticking on their back wheel.

Take more sugar, glucose in the last hour for an instant hit. Coca Cola, chocolate raisins, etc

Enjoy

Tailwinds
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a "veteran" of centuries, because I'm planning to do my first one next weekend, too. I did my longest ride to date 2 weekends ago, when I went 85 miles, and yesterday I did a training ride of 62 miles.

I really have to second the advice to get off the bike and walk around a bit at the 60 to 65 mile mark. When I did the 85 miler, I did just that, and it made a world of difference. Yesterday, I pushed straight through, other than a couple of bathroom breaks, and my quads were very sore at the end.

I also use a couple of supplements - one is called Carbo Load, and you mix it with your water. It replaces about 250 calories an hour with pure carbs. Other than making the water taste slightly sweeter, it worked great. The other is called ThermoLyte, and a couple of capsules an hour kept me from cramping. It's a sodium and electrolyte replacement.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to wish you a great ride.

Please come back and give us a report on the ride and what works best for you. I learn a lot from the ride reports and discussions like this one about preparation.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go clipless.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibi
    take a full bottle of 10% strength carbohydrate sports drink like PSP 20

Eat often, nibbling before getting hungry. Try not to have too much to eat at the stops, digestion will divert a lot of energy from your body.

Don't go out too fast, pace yourself, let the speed merchants go, wheel suck when you can, every time a group come past take a breather by sticking on their back wheel.

Take more sugar, glucose in the last hour for an instant hit. Coca Cola, chocolate raisins, etc

Enjoy

Tailwinds
    It is only when someone takes the time to think about the answer- You realise-"I Do That". So why didn't I say it. Jibi's tip about the Sugar/ Glucose towards the end of the ride- I have never realised I do- But my snacks change after about 6 hours and it is chocolate bars- Turkish delight- Creamed rice- Any thing sugary that does not take much chewing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me.

Since March '06 I've completed 11 centuries, 6 on my half-bike and 5 on the tandem. We stop at every SAG to refill water bottles and use the facilities. In hot, humid weather you'll want to be well-hydrated. I know I'm not drinking enough if I don't have to p*e every 20-25 miles.

I carry a tiny tube of Butt-Butt'r (sp) that's not as bulky as my little tin of bag balm. Only needed it once but boy, was I glad I had it.

One last thing -- take a camera! You'll want pictures of your 1st century. It's quite an accomplishment!

Have a great time!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    ah, yes good old Vitamin I

I could have written the OP, I'm attempting my first century this Saturday w/the same goals, I'd be deleriously happy w/myself if I could average 14-16.

Mine is a club ride, not supported, but at least I will be with my people and they won't drop me. The leader of this ride is extremely experienced (he did a cross country tour and a solo tour from Ohio to FL) and he will keep the pace reasonable and have frequent stops.

I sure wish I had my new bike, but noooooooo, I'll be riding ol' reliable Hi-Ho Silver, my trusty Trek hybrid.
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On long rides like a century, especially in hot weather, I use something to lubricate the chamois to skin contact. Bag balm or Chamois Butt'r or Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme are my usual choices. A sample tube of Chamois Butt'r or a small amount of Vaseline is a good idea for a supplement during the ride if needed.

The 85 mile doldrums are almost unavoidable. A store stop for a Coke and a Snickers bar have saved me from near death (seemingly) a couple of times.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Go clipless.
    I was thinkin' flip-flops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't already have one, find a partner of similar abilities and who is similarly determined to finish. This was a big help for me. Having a partner helps with navigation and a little banter during the ride takes your mind away from the, "we've got 25 more miles to go " feelings.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're dialed in. Eat, drink, and utilize the rest stops.

Have a great ride!

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice already posted. The only thing I would want to add is that you will need to "ride through" some pain. I do not know what it will be, but something (or multiples) will hurt. Endure and keep pedaling.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    I'm attempting my first century next Saturday on the Holland (MI) Hundred. I think I have the basics down: pace myself, keep hydrated, snack frequently, wear sunblock, pray for a tailwind...

In terms of pace, I'm shooting for a leisurely 14-16mph. Up to 18 on the flats (I routinely do 18-20mph on club rides) if no headwind once I'm well warmed up. Low and slow on uphills. Course is supposed to be flat to rolling.

It's an organized ride with rest stops and SAG support.

Of course I'll have my seat bag with patch kit, spare tube & multi tool. Frame mounted pump too. I'll have a small fanny pack with some energy snacks (I like halvah - lots of Indian groceries around here) and a few Ibuprofen (for the general stiffness that occurs on longish rides) and maybe a vest or rain jacket if precip is possible. Two water bottles. Wallet with cash and ID of course (never without it).

I'll clean & lube my chain/drivetrain and check my wheels for true this week. Just installed new brakepads.

Beyond that, any of you century/tour veterans have any useful little tips/tricks?
    You sound prepared and ready. Two suggestions: 1-Make no (zero, nada, zilch) changes to your bike just before the ride...go with what got you there (sad experience with wheels) and 2-don't get caught up spending too much time at the rest stops.....in and out and on your way, 'cause it is easy to add an hour or more to your ride that way, something you could regret at mile 90.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Zipper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't find a paceline to your liking look for a tandem that's going your speed a draft them.

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest up this week! No big rides. Just easy spins, and no riding at all the day before, or is it two whole days of rest? I think I did two. Leave early; the predawn air is so sweet.

Enjoy it to the max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By now, you should have pretty much figured out what you need. Don't change anything on the day of the ride. For example, I was drinking half-strength gatorade in training, but switched to full strength during the century. Mistake! Remember the misc stuff -- like sunscreen.

And enjoy the ride. It'll be fun!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of our group going for centuries! Impressive!

Best of luck to both of you.

As to that advice about 12g of carbs for each kilo of LEAN mass, well, I guess I wouldn't have to eat that much.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch for informal groups that form. It's much easier to ride and go faster in a pack. Just carefully join in, look for riders with good pack skills, introduce yourself after a while (easier to keep the group together after rest stops), and enjoy yourself.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what worked for me on my first one ever this past June 30.

1. Take a solemn oath to stop at every rest stop and drink a full bottle of gatorade at each one. Plus more in between. A half a banana or a cookie tasted good too. I think hydration is the number one concern to deal with.

2. Ride with friends. Huge advantage.

3. Eat light at the lunch break if they have one.

4. Stay well inside your own comfort zone as far as pace goes.

5. Have some sort of nearly instant high energy snack with you. I tried those goo thingies you can buy at the bike shop and they are incredible.

Have fun, you'll do great.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    EPO and some blood transfusions might help. But seriously, sounds good to me. Question: I have 74 miles as my longest ride this year. Regularly riding 100-150 miles a week. Am I ready for a century?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast