Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This young gun has a real gift.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my ride yesterday I was being passed by a group of about six riders, all under 30 years old. One guy in the middle of the group, pulled off and drifted back to me, and said, "You might want to raise your seat about a CM." I said, "Excuse me?" He repeated himself, and I said, what makes you think so? At this point one of the women in the group drifted back to us and said, "He's got a real gift for fit. Everyone one of us on this ride has had good adjustments made to our fit by Jerry." To make a long story short, I stayed with them, and continued talking until they go to their destination. When we stopped the general conversation turned toward Jerry's gift. He said he didn't know how to explain it, but he could just look at someone riding and know what they needed to do to get a good fit. "OK", I say, "Let's see the proof. You think I need to raise my seat about a CM?" We got the multi-tool out and made the adjustment. Darn, if he wasn't right. It immediately felt stronger and more comfortable. Each person there had had a similar experience with Jerry, and they were enjoying my amazment with the look of folks who had been there too. I told him he could probably make some good money as a fit expert if he was really this good. The entire group laughed and said he was an investor and money was the last thing he needed to make. You never know what you're going to run into when on a ride!
Old 07-15-07, 02:17 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Good story..................good avitar, is it new or have I become more aware of my surroundings?
Old 07-15-07, 03:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Are you sure his name wasn't John? From Cincinnatti?
Old 07-15-07, 04:57 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
He probably watches for partial knee extension (seat too low) or pelvic rocking (seat too high). Since most ill-adjusted cyclists set the saddle too low rather than too high, there are probably lots of folks out there who should be showing another 1/2 to 1 cm of seatpost.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-15-07, 05:53 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he's a bike whisperer.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-15-07, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just got a new road thing, I had to raise the seat a bit, and they fit me, just not good enough.
I wished I could find somebody I trusted as not being full of BS (Too many are) that could help me fine tune my adjustments, especially them cletes.
I got this one hard tail MTB that fits like your favorite old shoe, but this new road thing is just tooo narrow.
Old 07-15-07, 08:36 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Probably 95% of riders have their saddle too low. You can also become a bike whisperer by telling a few people to raise their saddles 1 or 2 cm.
Old 07-16-07, 03:51 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Probably 95% of riders have their saddle too low. You can also become a bike whisperer by telling a few people to raise their saddles 1 or 2 cm.
Old 07-16-07, 05:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI

You know the interesting thing is that I had my fit dialed in, BUT..... recently bought new shoes. And, wouldn't you know it, the soles of the shoes are just a wee bit thicker than the old ones. In the past, I've tended to have my seat too high, which as another has noted, causes the hips to rock. As for being a "bike whisperer" I'd never even dream of suggesting to someone that I didn't know how to fit their bike.
Old 07-16-07, 05:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Good story..................good avitar, is it new or have I become more aware of my surroundings?

Yes, new avitar. Not sure about your awareness of your surroundings.