Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This young *** has a real gift.

On my ride yesterday I was being passed by a group of about six riders, all under 30 years old. One guy in the middle of the group, pulled off and drifted back to me, and said, "You might want to raise your seat about a CM." I said, "Excuse me?" He repeated himself, and I said, what makes you think so? At this point one of the women in the group drifted back to us and said, "He's got a real gift for fit. Everyone one of us on this ride has had good adjustments made to our fit by Jerry." To make a long story short, I stayed with them, and continued talking until they go to their destination. When we stopped the general conversation turned toward Jerry's gift. He said he didn't know how to explain it, but he could just look at someone riding and know what they needed to do to get a good fit. "OK", I say, "Let's see the proof. You think I need to raise my seat about a CM?" We got the multi-tool out and made the adjustment. Darn, if he wasn't right. It immediately felt stronger and more comfortable. Each person there had had a similar experience with Jerry, and they were enjoying my amazment with the look of folks who had been there too. I told him he could probably make some good money as a fit expert if he was really this good. The entire group laughed and said he was an investor and money was the last thing he needed to make. You never know what you're going to run into when on a ride!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good story..................good avitar, is it new or have I become more aware of my surroundings?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure his name wasn't John? From Cincinnatti?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably watches for partial knee extension (seat too low) or pelvic rocking (seat too high). Since most ill-adjusted cyclists set the saddle too low rather than too high, there are probably lots of folks out there who should be showing another 1/2 to 1 cm of seatpost.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's a bike whisperer.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a new road thing, I had to raise the seat a bit, and they fit me, just not good enough.
    I wished I could find somebody I trusted as not being full of BS (Too many are) that could help me fine tune my adjustments, especially them cletes.
    I got this one hard tail MTB that fits like your favorite old shoe, but this new road thing is just tooo narrow.
    I hate cars,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably 95% of riders have their saddle too low. You can also become a bike whisperer by telling a few people to raise their saddles 1 or 2 cm.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI
    Probably 95% of riders have their saddle too low. You can also become a bike whisperer by telling a few people to raise their saddles 1 or 2 cm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI

You know the interesting thing is that I had my fit dialed in, BUT..... recently bought new shoes. And, wouldn't you know it, the soles of the shoes are just a wee bit thicker than the old ones. In the past, I've tended to have my seat too high, which as another has noted, causes the hips to rock. As for being a "bike whisperer" I'd never even dream of suggesting to someone that I didn't know how to fit their bike.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Good story..................good avitar, is it new or have I become more aware of my surroundings?

Yes, new avitar. Not sure about your awareness of your surroundings.