User Tag List

My Bikes
    cannondale f600 mongoose crossway 850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mid-price sunglasses

Can anyone recommend a good pair of sunglasses in the under $50 range? I'm looking at the Coyotes and Optic Nerves from Nashbar. Anyone have experience with these products? I've used Uvex for years. I like the idea that if a piece of gravel came at you at 60mph your would be covered. Unfortunately, the frames on the glasses do not hold up. I've been through several pair of these over the years and they always break at the ear piece right where I hook my Take-A-Look mirror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagster
    Can anyone recommend a good pair of sunglasses in the under $50 range? I'm looking at the Coyotes and Optic Nerves from Nashbar. Anyone have experience with these products? I've used Uvex for years. I like the idea that if a piece of gravel came at you at 60mph your would be covered. Unfortunately, the frames on the glasses do not hold up. I've been through several pair of these over the years and they always break at the ear piece right where I hook my Take-A-Look mirror.
    $1 at the Dollar Store,same brand Jackie O. used.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were warned by the organizers of our Cross Country Tour not to buy sunglasses which are dark tinted and have no adequate UV protection. The explanation given made sense to me and I am forwarding it to you:
    Dark tint makes your pupil open up (thinking it is dark). Inadequate UV protection may then damage your eyes. I am very protective of my eyes and are fortunate not to need glasses or contacts at my age of 65.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Optic Nerve if they fit are a good value. Most, if not all, of the mid price ones will be polycarbonate and offer UV protection. I like Smith a lot, and they have a pair at Nashbar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Performance sunglasses are pretty nice. The multi-lens ones are the ones we buy. 3 different pairs, all fine. Wife uses the Athena, I have Heka and Vector. The rubber ends of the part that hangs onto my ears of my 4 year old Vectors tend to slip of if my sweat gets the area soaking. Other than that, they're fine.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check Campmor.com- they usually have Bolle Vigilantes multi- lens sets for around 40.00. Lots of others too if you don't want interchangable lenses. They're all "super special deals", so sometimes they run out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the Performance Radials for the large lens, but they've discontinued them. I'm wearing the Performance Quattros now. I like the separate lens better, but none of them are large enough for me.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have for the last 10 years used Rudy Project Cycling glasses and I find them perfect- I actually have two pairs at a time so that If I break one pair- I do not have to use anything else- Even if it is for just a short while till I can get to the shop. I broke one pair earlier this year and Disaster- the rudy projects are no longer made. Looked long and hard at the others in the cabinet and even contemplated Oakleys at some astronomical price. I even tried them on- but there were nowhere near as comfortable as The Rudy's. I settled on the new Rudy and I have to admit that they were more comfortable than the Projects. A lot more money aswell but On holiday and the wife sat on them and broke them. So I now have only one pair of rudys and a defecit in the bank for a while.

Still winters coming and it will be back to the ski Goggles to keep the Parts of the face warm that will not be covered by the Ski Mask. Just hope I don't break my last pair of Projects in the near future.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need a pair to fit over regular glasses I (the cheapskate) would recommend a pair from Sprawl Mart that goes for $18.00! I ride a bent with an upright head so don't need to worry about glasses that you have to look high up on the lens. But the lenses in these are very wide angle, polarized, etc. and seem to be adequately impact resistant as I got nailed with a reasonable sized rock in one thrown up by a Kenworth the other day! Scratched the lens, but that's all! For the price they can't be beat!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AO Safety glasses come in a wide variety of styles and are impact-resistant and UV protecting and cheap. ($10-$15). Available at America's finest home improvement centers. Just throw them away when they get scratched up.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand what you are saying Dagna. They are definitely polarized - easy to tell that by looking into any LED or LCD display.
    Also, the trouble is, that most of the 'American' brands are all produced overseas, even though they are distributed by 'American' companies. I was reading in some economic magazine that even a 'made by American Brand X' doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't made in China by a subsidiary of an 'American' company. They are labelled that way to conceal their country of origin. To me that is deceptive advertising/labelling but apparently it is legal.......
    I absolutely prefer to buy American even if I have to pay a higher price for an identical item if I can be sure they were in fact, made in America by Americans! But nowadays, how do you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear these http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/rx200g-2-0.html

They come in various diopter strength, clear or tinted.
    I've owned everything from Rudy Projects on down and these are great.
    It's nice not having to carry reading glasses to read a route sheet or fix a flat.

My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE my Wiley-X SG-1 sunglasses. Been using them about 1 1/2 years now. You can pick them up on Ebay for $35-40.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

Coyote!
    Lowes' tinted UV blocking safety glasses, $9. I can find no flaw. When they break, Lowes replaces them. Regarding the veracity of UV blocking claims, I s'poze we're all throwing the dice.

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    I have for the last 10 years used Rudy Project Cycling glasses and I find them perfect- I actually have two pairs at a time so that If I break one pair- I do not have to use anything else- Even if it is for just a short while till I can get to the shop. I broke one pair earlier this year and Disaster- the rudy projects are no longer made. Looked long and hard at the others in the cabinet and even contemplated Oakleys at some astronomical price. I even tried them on- but there were nowhere near as comfortable as The Rudy's. I settled on the new Rudy and I have to admit that they were more comfortable than the Projects. A lot more money aswell but On holiday and the wife sat on them and broke them. So I now have only one pair of rudys and a defecit in the bank for a while.

Still winters coming and it will be back to the ski Goggles to keep the Parts of the face warm that will not be covered by the Ski Mask. Just hope I don't break my last pair of Projects in the near future.
    Curious, which Rudy Project glasses? The reason I'm asking is that I'm replacing my prescription sport sunglasses (which broke after about 1 year) and looking at Rudy Project Exceptions. But the price is astronomical, so I want to make sure I'll be happy with them.

P.S. don't mean to hijack the thread which is oriented to reasonably priced sunglasses, but hey I'm following up on your post.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months back a local TV station did an analysis of sun glasses, specifically their UV protection capabilities. Surprisingly (or not) they discovered that many of the $10-$20 glasses performed better than the $100 + models. They didn't mention polarization or brand names, but their conclusion was that if you find an inexpensive pair that has a metalic reflective coating and you like the fit, regardless of price, go for it. I own a half dozen pair of sunglasses including the interchangeable lens ones from Performance (Vectors) and two ($9.99 specials from Walmart) and some others that I keep in our vehicles, just to have on hand. I like them all, but my favorites are the Wallyworld specials, and my mirror fits best on them too. My wife likes her Tifosis (because they're STYLISH). I will admit, they do look good on her. She always gets the good stuff...

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've kind of given up looking for sunglasses specifically designed for biking. It may be my cro-magnon forehead with protruding eyebrows, but all the aerodynamic biking glasses I've tried rubs against my eyebrows. I'm just grateful my knuckles don't drag the ground when I walk.

A company I've bought eyewear a few times is www.polarizedoptics.com and found a style that I've worn a few decades ago, probably because they were popular at military surplus stores:
    http://www.polarizedoptics.com/catal...products_id=53

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good sunglass I've found for wearing over regualr glasses is ZURICH sunglasses. You can even get an elastic band to substitute for hard arms that fit well over regular glasses, under headsets and helmets while flying, etc. Very comfortable.