Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Most excellent & congrats. As a fellow DC'er, let me know (or tlc20010 - the Grampster) if you ever want to go out for a 45 mile ride in the Maryland burbs - my wife would like some more female company.
    That would be fun, but your wife is probably a lot faster than I am (see my pitifully slow century time above.) I do like riding up in the Riley's Lock/Dickerson/Poolesville area. It's hard to believe one can find farmland so close to the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW. Fantastic. My personal best is 64 miles in one day, you've
    made that seem like a warm-up ride. My hat is off to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker
    That would be fun, but your wife is probably a lot faster than I am (see my pitifully slow century time above.) I do like riding up in the Riley's Lock/Dickerson/Poolesville area. It's hard to believe one can find farmland so close to the city.
    We do a lot of riding around Poolesville. Beautiful countryside, nice hills. We're not riding this weekend the following one we will be. And don't worry about speed - anyone who does a century can ride with us anytime!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    And you did it without the tornado assistance that gave Terrierman such a big boost on his century.
    There goes that old avatar again.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride and a fulfilling day. I remember my first century and thinking I'd never do another one. In the dead of the winter after that first century I was so tired of being snow bound that a century seemed like it would be welcome relief. Since then, each century has gotten just a bit faster than the last one. Congrats on your first one!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You woulda been faster without that headwind. Heck, a lot of people would have been looking for a short cut back to the start. Way to go!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I bet that was a real pretty ride.

I love riding centuries to the point that cgallagh & I make up our own unsupported 100-mile ride when we can't make an organized ride. You make a good point about your speed; I was averaging over 17 mph before I took on my first century, and we have an average close to that on the tandem. I don't know that I could stand riding a bike for 10.5 hrs., either. I lift an adult beverage in your honor for your stick-to-it-tiveness.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it your last? Maybe pick a less windy day or place next time. Now that you know you can do it, get stronger and ROCK ON!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go! I'd bet you will do another century though, even if you say you won't at this point. You da sister!!

Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I have to tell you every time I ride a Century around the 60 mile mark it becomes a mental challenge to finish, tired and butt sore. Add in head wind and heat it becomes monumental. No matter how the ride is advertised the weather, elevations and how the engine is running that day all play a role. Don’t worry about the speed. I hope you will ride another. There is nothing like (for me) the feeling I have after a Century ride post shower.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12