Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Open message to Tom and SKT

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 02:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Tom & SKT

You may get a bit of joshing for the slow speed and low milage you do but I am wondering if you have noticed something in your riding? First of all the distance is getting longer, secondly you are beginning to look for hills and thirdly- you are still enjoying it. Must be something in the air you have over there.

I am an EX-Mountain biker ( Well nearly EX but I want to road ride at present) and on those things the only thing to do is head for the hills.You try a 15% hill on a bike with too high a gearing and tyres that are not suitable. That was my first ride and it took me a long time before I conquered that hill. Believe it or not- that is the easy access to the top of the hill. The other climbs are steeper- trickier and longer. I learnt to climb hills. Then in 99 to 2001 I had a couple of medical problems that set me back but it did not stop me. Slowed me down a bit and I have to really train to get the fitness up to do the long rides that I used to do and still want to do.

Both you and SKT are reminding me of when I started- except you are a bit older. It might take you a bit longer to get the fitness that you need to do the longer rides or the higher milage- but I can tell you now, the pair of you are 3/4's there. Take out your hills and you will lose it- but keep plugging away- keep getting out on the bike and keep hitting those hills and it will come. Never know- I might need you in a couple of years to pull me up our 15% hills that I am trying to relearn.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-07, 07:04 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the positive words. I am pleased with my progress this summer. I've exceeded all of my goals for the year, except in total mileage, and still have months of riding weather remaining. And all of this after a slow start. On April 30th I was in the dumps, showing little progress and about to cancel a planned ride with a friend who was to visit me in early June for some trail riding. Longest ride to that point was 12 miles and it had been hard to finish.

That was only 11 weeks ago. My new longest ride is 64 miles, my speed is up about 2-2.5 mph, I'm riding up hills that I was walking then. The other day I took a 25 mile ride after work, and it was a breeze.

I still have a long way to go. I'd love to drop another 20 pounds. I'd love to be riding another 1-2 mph faster. I'd like to be able to go up 6%-8% hills without it being so difficult and draining. I'd like to be able to crank out 20 miles like it was a walk in the park.

I'm moving forward on all of those fronts. Admittedly I'm not working as hard toward them as I could. But all in all, it's coming around and it has been a lot of fun. Certainly this forum has been an asset to me, providing valuable information, motivational stories, and camaraderie. I might have still be plodding along at a much lower level if I had not have found it, but I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now (which is kinda like saying that instead of being 40th in a field of 40, I have worked my way up to 37th).

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-15-07, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot to mention "heavy"... slow pace, low miles, too much baggage
And way, way happy.
But, yeah, every day I get better in every way. I'm not as good as I liked to be... I'll probably never be.
Some things will continue to improve, some things I'll always be up against but I'm learning my limits and push right up against them. Interestingly, as I push, to limits seem to keep changing. In a good way.
All I know is I will continue to do what I can do and not back down... know my limits but not accept defeat.
Old 07-15-07, 08:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
All I know is I will continue to do what I can do and not back down... know my limits but not accept defeat.
You are a madman.

I am perfectly willing to look at some big hill, admit defeat, and walk my bike up it.

But I am beginning to think of myself as being faster than the typical bike trail rider. Over the past few weeks I've been dropping about 20 people for each time I've been dropped. Of course the "competition" hasn't exactly been top notch, consisting mostly of couples in their 60s out for a casual ride, and mothers riding with 8 yr olds on their little mountain bikes. But just today I dropped three fit-looking 30-somethings, who were riding along at around 13 mph when I blew past them doing 15.

I spotted a really good looking 20-something young woman up ahead of me and did get close, but then lost steam and she gradually pulled away. I wasn't worthy to pass her.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-15-07, 09:19 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a private three-way or can anyone post? Oh, that was a rhetorical question BTW. I admire both of you for the amazing progress you have made in such a short time. One of the next steps to consider is to actually do some training rides, some intervals, you know, stretch your limits a bit. Not just miles, but push into the HR training zones and see if your progress doesn't accelerate. What ever you do, just keep riding. You'll both probably do your century before you-know-who does his.
Old 07-15-07, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I begin to understand the need for some more -shall we say- directed focus in my riding. Sometimes.
I want to get better, of course, but I'm just not going to obsess over it... the improvemnts will mostly just have to come with time. That said, I've begun thinking about various shorter but demanding slopes around town and approaching them in a more systematic manner. No doubt, as you and Beverly have said, I will find them get easier and easier with repetition. I've certainly found that -in longer terms- to be true with hills I've "conquered" (a relative term) to date. I might just have laid out my intervals. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 07-15-07, 10:32 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Is this a private three-way or can anyone post?
That d*mn Grampster is posting in the SKT & Tom tribute thread?!?

You'll both probably do your century before you-know-who does his.
I did not list a century on my future goals list! I know Terrierman threw one down, along with a number of others, with two more going for one this weekend, but it just isn't something I care about.

I might add a goal of doing a 70. That's a nice number. Although doing another 50 is challenge enough. Not sure I could do one of those if I set out to tomorrow - I've only topped 40 once.

Doing a century would take sooooooo long. If I pick up my pace, it would take 12 hours elasped time. That's a long time for a casual cyclist cruising around the countryside.

Maybe if I get one of those electric assist bikes, I might have a shot at it.

Old 07-16-07, 06:02 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

Doing a century would take sooooooo long. If I pick up my pace, it would take 12 hours elasped time. That's a long time for a casual cyclist cruising around the countryside.

I know! I get exhausted and sore from driving in my car* for 12 hours.