Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost pulled the trigger

I stopped at the LBS just to kick tires, and shoot the breeze. Anyhow they carry 4 brands of bikes and they are dropping it down to 3. They are dropping the Cannondales, and I asked why, and he said too much inventory. He walked me over to a Synapse ( i think 2 ) which listed for $1400 and said I could have this bike for $ 1000. It was aluminime with carbor stays and forks and a size 60 that felt pretty nice, but I said I'll have to think about it, oh, it had all Shimano 105 components as well and it was the dark blue one. What do you think, I'm still leaning to steel, but I was also wondering, if the price will come down more. What to do, what to do?
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    What to do, what to do?

See if he'll come down to $850.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    See if he'll come down to $850.
    Below dealer cost? You want the guy to survive to service the bike don't you?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good deal, but it is up to you to decide if it is the right bike. Technically it is only a very minor step up from the quality of your Jamis, which is a $1200 bike. But, as you know, it is a very different bike.

Personally, if I were shopping in the $1500-$2000 range, I would be giving serious consideration to an all-carbon bike. I would ride a couple of these for a few miles, and then come back to an aluminum/carbon combo, like this Cannondale, or a steel frame, before I would buy. You don't want to buy another bike and then immediately have regrets. There is always some second guessing after buying, but if you left something on the table, like not knowing if you liked full carbon better, then it will knawl at you.

I do think the Synapse is a nice bike. I rode a Cannondale with their SAVE carbon fork and it did a good job of smoothing the ride. And I know the Synapse has a comfortable geometry.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    That's a good deal, but it is up to you to decide if it is the right bike. Technically it is only a very minor step up from the quality of your Jamis, which is a $1200 bike. But, as you know, it is a very different bike.

Personally, if I were shopping in the $1500-$2000 range, I would be giving serious consideration to an all-carbon bike. I would ride a couple of these for a few miles, and then come back to an aluminum/carbon combo, like this Cannondale, or a steel frame, before I would buy. You don't want to buy another bike and then immediately have regrets. There is always some second guessing after buying, but if you left something on the table, like not knowing if you liked full carbon better, then it will knawl at you.

I do think the Synapse is a nice bike. I rode a Cannondale with their SAVE carbon fork and it did a good job of smoothing the ride. And I know the Synapse has a comfortable geometry.

I was thinking the same thing Tom, I want to be absolutely sure and I'll have the steel bike on my mind until I try one. The only problem is you can't find any steel bikes to test ride. Thanks anyhow, this bike was just something I ran into by chance.
    George

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you want that $3000 Serotta steel bike!

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you want that $3000 Serotta steel bike!
    - i have a Serotta steel bike, but it only cost $1700... (Fierte Cross)...

- and my all-CF bike was only $550 for the frameset (gotta get in on those BF group buys, folks!)

:-)

- btw, not knocking Cannondale... good bikes...

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're hesitatin' then this bike didn't sing to you. Move on.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG is talking to me as well. I have had a bike on hold, with a 20% refundable deposit, for 9 days. It was in stock at the time I made the deposit. And I haven't once felt the urge to go get it, although I'm sure I would like it if I had it.

I need to determine if I like that Fuji more, and right now, I'm leaning to the Fuji.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    Below dealer cost? You want the guy to survive to service the bike don't you?

That's how I got my S-Works Roubaix. The dealer was dropping the line and wanted to clear out all the old inventory from the line. He was willing to take a loss to get it out of his store.
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 07-17-07 at 05:55 AM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say over and over again don't settle, get exactly what you want or you will regret it later. If steel is what you fancy wait until you can get the steel bike that as DG says sings to you. You don't want to buy a bike that just looks good today and mainly because of the price. You want to get a bike that you love every time you look at it, one that you just can't wait to get on and ride, one that you are proud to show off.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have aluminium bikes and they can be harsh but the latest one has C.F. forks and seatpost. I can feel the harshness of the ride with the noise it makes but it does not get through to me so that could be one of your doubts done with. Cannondales make a good bike- They don't know how to make any other. They ride well- last well and a 10 year old "Dale" still gets appreciation. 105 gruppo makes sense- good without being extravagant, and my only concern is as to whether it has a triple or double crankset fitted to it. If you ride a triple at present and use it- then you probably will want to stay with a triple.

I'd say think about it overnight- Check that it is completely to your satisfaction by a test ride- get a few anciliaries thrown in like Spare tube- Pump and anything else you can cadge- and go for it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    I will say over and over again don't settle, get exactly what you want or you will regret it later. If steel is what you fancy wait until you can get the steel bike that as DG says sings to you. You don't want to buy a bike that just looks good today and mainly because of the price. You want to get a bike that you love every time you look at it, one that you just can't wait to get on and ride, one that you are proud to show off.
    You are going to have the bike a LONG time after you forget how much or little you paid. If it's just what you want go for it! A great deal makes the right bike even .....righter (not a word, I know) but the wrong bike at a good price can cause you much regret later on and really isn't a good deal in the long run, just my .02
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get full carbon on a whim, put it on the credit card, worry about it next month, contribute to the national debt and the trade deficit. If there were a large asteroid heading here that will wipe out all life three weeks from now, don't you want those few weeks spent in pleasure?

Just askin'.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
    You are going to have the bike a LONG time ...

You don't know George very well, do you?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Get full carbon on a whim, put it on the credit card, worry about it next month, contribute to the national debt and the trade deficit. If there were a large asteroid heading here that will wipe out all life three weeks from now, don't you want those few weeks spent in pleasure?

Just askin'.
    Anyone up for a game of Guess His Credit Score?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't know George very well, do you?

I'm not giving anymore away. I went out Saturday for a ride with my son and guess what, he brought his 18 year old Giant and left the Trek at home, that I gave him. I said, what's this, you got a rain bike and I don't. It must be nice.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

Are you aware that some of the 2006 LeMond bikes, like the Buenos Aires and Versailles, are part carbon and part steel? The 2007 models of these bikes went to all carbon. You might want to check around to find some 2006s on closeout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some like leather, some like plastic. Some like Cytomax, some like Accelerade. Some like clipless, some don't. Some like fat tires, some like skinny. Etc. Etc.

George, many see this as an opportunity to "move up" to carbon. Ride a good steel bilke (right, try to find one to test ride-- I know) and then decide. In the end, a good bike is a good bike no matter the material. And the main thing is that your body is working, not that it's attached at the butt to the zenith of cycling technology. The differences may be noticable, but in the end they still stay marginal as long as the bike fits well.

Of course, we all want the most bang for our buck. Which brings us back to ride as many as you can, don't settle just because one is easier to get than another....but eventually, just like DG, you'll have to settle on one......and then relax into a nice marriage with your machine and forget other women, er...bicycles I mean.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 George, you know I'm looking too. I've already decided, if I buy, it's going to be an all CF Giant leftover.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,
    If a steel road bike is what you want, are you aware that almost any bike shop can get Salsa, Surly and Soma bikes? They are mostly sold as frames, but they can also order reasonably priced build kits to make them into bikes.
    I think the Salsa Caseroll, Salsa LaRaza, Surly Pacer, Surly Cross-Check or Soma Smoothie ES could be just the ticket. All of these are well designed, traditional geometry frames that can be built into very nice bicycles for not too much money. I'm sure one of your local shops would be willing to get one for you.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, was that trigger you almost pulled made of steel, titanium, CF, or aluminum?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    By the way, was that trigger you almost pulled made of steel, titanium, CF, or aluminum?

Now did you ever hear of an aluminum ***, or a so on and so forth. I can tell you this, I'm glad BD gave me all those bikes to look at. I can't believe I forgot about the Surley. I read so much about them on the touring forum, after I bought the Jamis. I'll have a stable full of pig iron. I got pig iron, I got pig iron, I can't remember the rest of the song, I need help.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BluesDawg, off to the store again.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As BD pointed out, those steel frame recommendations are "traditional" geometry. Up to now, George, you've been looking at compact geometry bikes. Are you thinking of going over to a traditional design now?
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-16-07 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast