Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Saddle pain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle pain

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that relieves the pressure on the perineal area. After riding for 5 miles or so, I go numb, including my toes. I there a saddle of seat position that will help?

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm not qualified to answer this, but I predict that one person will ask if you've been professionally fitted, another will tell you to point the saddle down slightly, 3 or 4 will say that numbness down to your toes is very unusual and a medical discussion will ensue, and a couple dozen or so will mention that they are in love with "saddle X" but that every person has their own likes and dislikes.

Oh, and someone will be crabby and tell you to sit on the post.)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of bike and saddle do you currently ride? Five miles seems like a short distance for this type of problem.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, Beverly! Now I feel bad for trying to be funny...(I just got done reading more of DG's clipless thread) .

Anyway, good point. Carry on.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakeoh
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that relieves the pressure on the perineal area. After riding for 5 miles or so, I go numb, including my toes. I there a saddle of seat position that will help?
    A search of this forum will reveal more recommendations on saddles and positions than a person could read in a week.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg
    Good point, Beverly! Now I feel bad for trying to be funny...(I just got done reading more of DG's clipless thread) .

Anyway, good point. Carry on.
    You were right on target.....
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=solvegOh, and someone will be crabby and tell you to sit on the post.)[/QUOTE]

The state I finished rides with some saddles- that would have been more comfortable.

Just a coupleof questions- How long have you been riding?- If a fair time- How long have you had the saddle? And have you tried adjusting the saddle in any way?

Saddles can be a problem so find a friendly shop and sit on as many bikes as you can the day after you have ridden. The bit of pain you still have will tell you what saddles not to buy- and hopefully put you onto a type of saddle that may suit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my personal belief is that a lot of 'P' word problems can be related to proper saddle width, well before brand, cutout, vint'ah'ge-retro-butt hatch, 'bling' super-expensivo carbon shelf or sprung barcolounger cushion.
    itz all about support, and the width of the load...

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    A search of this forum will reveal more recommendations on saddles and positions than a person could read in a week.

B17
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks!!!!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What general type of saddle are you using now? Wide & cushy with springs? Standard stock saddle on a $200 hybrid? Standard stock saddle on a $600 road bike?

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    B17

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one that solveg forgot.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    What general type of saddle are you using now? Wide & cushy with springs? Standard stock saddle on a $200 hybrid? Standard stock saddle on a $600 road bike?
    I'd second this question (hard to get one in through the chattering monkeys ). Soft saddles, particularly gel saddles, can result in this sort of pressure as the padding/gell gets pushed aside by your bones applying pressure to the soft areas.

Richard
    am I allowed to rave about the comfort of my Brooks ... even though it's only just been despatched from Europe and isn't even in Australia yet?
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Here's one that solveg forgot.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
    Yah! You always* surprise me!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just since a picture of a new Brooks and it's only $700, for collectors I would think. I forgot the model.
    George

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, numbness down to your toes sounds like major nerve interferrence. What type of saddle are you using now?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toe numbness does not sound like typical bike seat-related discomfort. Your legs get numb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall a stranded cyclist who was reduced to boiling his Brooks and eating it. (Didn't need any additional salt or seasoning for flavor.) Couldn't do that with a plastic saddle. See, Brooks are good for something after all.

Northern Minnesota
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Crosstown, 1984 Raleigh Racing USA Competition, 197? Fuji Cambridge III
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B 67, ahhhh, comfort!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    Wow, numbness down to your toes sounds like major nerve interferrence. What type of saddle are you using now?
    Overall bike fit has more to do with comfort than the saddle itself. Your post on the toes points up to more problems than the saddle. Simply getting a Brooks or Fizik Aliante(my favorite) will not fix your problem or cure cancer. Check some of the online fit calculators or got to the LBS and get fitted to the bike.

There are more bikes hanging in garages collecting dust due to improper fit than any other reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fairly new to cycling. Last night I lower the seat about an inch and moved it forward. Seemed to help. Toe problem was gone. Still had discomfort in the perineal area.

The seat is a stock that came with my Trek 1.2. I am a larger person, 6' 2" and broad. I will check with the LBS for a better fit.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, moving the saddle position down is not a good thing for your legs. It increases stress on your knees. However medical conditions can force us into making adjustments that aren't normally optimal.

The stock Bontrager saddle on a Trek (Pilot?) 1.2 is not well regarded. So it isn't surprising that you are having some problems with it. As to which saddle would work best for you, I have no idea.

If you have configured the bike to have a more upright riding position, by raising the handlebars and/or lowering the seat, that will shift more weight onto the saddle. Generally when one does this, then they need a wider saddle. You could look at options from Terry, Brooks, Selle, and others, which all offer wider saddles than the stock Bontrager you have now.

But perhaps you really shouldn't be configuring the fit to shift more weight onto the saddle. As stated by others, it is best to start out getting the fit set up correctly, then you can address the saddle situation. If you change out the saddle first, then an adjustment to the fit could make the replacement saddle a poor choice.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

ReNewing Rider
    My Bikes
    old 10-speed...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced the saddle on my Trek Pilot 1.2 with a Serfas RX-921V. I also adjusted the tilt nose-down one notch. I installed the new saddle and made the adjustment after being off the bike for over 3 weeks due to travel and illness. I've only done two short rides since then but the change is easily felt and I had no pain at all. I was expecting a lot of discomfort after 3 weeks off the saddle but there was none.

I choose the Serfas for function, cost, and expediency. I saw it in the local SportsChalet sports megastore, it was only $40, I read some favorable reviews on-line, and between the Serfas satisfaction guarantee and SportChalet return policy, I knew I could return it. It's a relatively heavy saddle at 510 grams but I'm not concerned about its weight. If you are there are, other choices available from Serfas, Terry, and undoubtedly many others.

I know I committed the cardinal sin of troubleshooting by changing 2 parameters at one time (new saddle and tilt adjustment). At some point, I may put the stock saddle back on just to see how much the tilt adjustment alone helped.