User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100K Bike for Breath Charity Ride

On Saturday, Velodiva and I rode our tandem in the Bike for Breath fundraising ride. Velodiva’s company, Genentech, was a sponsor and approximately 30 employees were riding. We chose the 100K option. We arrived at 7AM and got in line to check in. It was cold standing in line even though we had base layer, jersey and a windbreaker. The sky was overcast but we new it would clear and heat up later in the morning. The ride starts at the bay and travels via a MUP for about 6 miles prior to heading west up a climb. The MUP goes along the bay and would be great riding but for it is populated by dogs on leashes, strollers, walkers, runners, inline skaters and strange biking behavior. We took it easy on the MUP using it for warm up and we were glad to leave it behind. The first climb up Edgewood road to Canada Road was fairly easy and we were at our first rest stop at 11 miles. We ditched the base layer, arm warmers and etc. We parted ways with most of the Genentech people as they opted for something shorter than 62 miles. We rode the rest of the way solo. We traveled north along the time trial route on Canada next to San Andreas fault and climbed up Skyline followed by a descent and then to the final major (we consider this easy) climb. We passed on the next rest stop and headed on to the final rest stop in Palo Alto at Roche, Genentech’s majority owner. At the last rest stop, the temperature was up to 80 degrees F.

We cycle portions of this ride all the time except that it now returns to the start through a residential area that had a lot of stop signs, traffic lights, traffic and parked cars. After negotiating those obstacles, we were back on the MUP with its obstacles plus the wind was howling with the bay full of whitecaps. The single bikes were struggling with the wind but we were able to maintain 15 mph.

When we arrived, we were treated to a brown bag lunch and a ham and cheese sandwich, but the good news was that promoters exceeded their goal of raising $140,000 for charity. We felt great at the end and we felt our legs had another 40 miles in them but we were really happy to get off the bike on a good note. We averaged 15.6 mph (wussy for us ) for the 62 miles with 5000 of climbing but it was not possible to travel any faster due to the traffice stops, traffic and obstacles.

Sunday, we did a 32 mile ride on our single bikes.

Here is a snapshot from our Garmin software of the 62 mile ride.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I tell you what, that's alot of riding and you did it all for a good cause, congradulations, all the way around. I'm glad I did my 67 miles on flat land. We don't have many hills in Texas where I live, but the wind makes up for it. anyhow great ride.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I heard someone call Edgewood an "easy" climb.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride for a good cause.

I lived 25+ years in San Jose + Santa Cruz area. Miss the place terribly.
    Hope to live 25 years in Seattle area, it's nice too and skiing is closer.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I heard someone call Edgewood an "easy" climb.
    Everything is relative...Edgewood is a 6% average grade. I compare climbs to Old La Honda or Kings Mountain where you have a 4 mile sustained 7.2% average grade which I consider tougher.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a nice ride for a great cause.

I've never understood why events like this are routed on MUP's as the traffic on them can cause problems. I did one in Philly last year and had to get off and walk the bike due to walkers, skaters, dogs, etc.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Congratulations on a nice ride for a great cause.

I've never understood why events like this are routed on MUP's as the traffic on them can cause problems. I did one in Philly last year and had to get off and walk the bike due to walkers, skaters, dogs, etc.
    For maximum participation by all ages and cycling ability, the promoters started the event at the bay and had 4 routes, 10, 18, 50 and 62. The 10 and 18 mile routes were on the MUPs i.e. no hills. The challenge in the bay area is finding flat routes that beginners / intermediate riders can handle. For this location, the MUPs offered the best opportunity for them.