Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-07, 09:12 AM   #1
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
busted wrist

I accompanied my wife on a trip to a conference in Vail. All went well on our stop off in Steamboat at my sister's house. Nice trails, decent bikes. In Vail. however, I decided to ride the gondola up and give mountain biking a try. The first two runs were fine - I stayed on easy to low intermediate trails and kept well in control. On the final run I hit a deep rut or something while braking and went over the falls. I ended up with two breaks in my left wrist which will keep me out of action for a couple of months. I guess it is some compensation that they are hot months lousy for biking in DC. The worst part of the incident was getting down with a next to useless left hand.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:35 AM   #2
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ouch

Hope you heal quickly.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:38 AM   #3
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Sorry to hear of your injury. Hope it heals quickly and completely. Your story is one of the reasons that I don't do downhill, off-road biking any more.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:45 AM   #4
BLIZZ

Bikes: Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
The worst part of the incident was getting down with a next to useless left hand.
Yup, been there.
Hope you heal quickly and without to much pain.
But at least you do have a good story to tell and lots of sympathy coming your way when people see your cast.
BLIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:48 AM   #5
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Depending on the cast position you should be able to do rail to trail with a flat bar bike. Drove my truck the second day home with a cast on my right leg even though the doc said I could not drive for 8 weeks. I found that staying active as much as possible helped the healing process. When they cut off my cast the doc was amazed that I had little muscle loss. Helped erect a log cabin by hand the week the cast came off.

Stay active!
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:57 AM   #6
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Ouch! I've had 2 casts on my left wrist. Not fun but you learn to adapt. I agree with the 'stay active' advice, and your already good physical condition will help the healing process along. Best wishes for complete, speedy healing.
Old 07-17-07, 10:00 AM   #7
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Depending on the cast position you should be able to do rail to trail with a flat bar bike. Drove my truck the second day home with a cast on my right leg even though the doc said I could not drive for 8 weeks. I found that staying active as much as possible helped the healing process. When they cut off my cast the doc was amazed that I had little muscle loss. Helped erect a log cabin by hand the week the cast came off.

Stay active!
That is encouraging Oilman. When I get back to DC I am going to a sports clinic to get the cast and followup. I want docs who are sympathetic with getting back in the game - not just nay sayers.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 10:42 AM   #8
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
.... I guess it is some compensation that they are hot months lousy for biking in DC. .....
That's what sunrise bike rides are for.

Get better soon.
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:14 PM   #9
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Sorry to read of your injury....Best of luck to you.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:22 PM   #10
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I accompanied my wife on a trip to a conference in Vail. All went well on our stop off in Steamboat at my sister's house. Nice trails, decent bikes. In Vail. however, I decided to ride the gondola up and give mountain biking a try. The first two runs were fine - I stayed on easy to low intermediate trails and kept well in control. On the final run I hit a deep rut or something while braking and went over the falls. I ended up with two breaks in my left wrist which will keep me out of action for a couple of months. I guess it is some compensation that they are hot months lousy for biking in DC. The worst part of the incident was getting down with a next to useless left hand.
Sorry to hear about your fall and hope your recovery is rapid. At least you didn't ask us for free medical advice about whether you should go seek medical attention or not!!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:29 PM   #11
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Sorry about the fall and hope you heal real soon. You forgot to tell us how the bike was though....
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 07:31 PM   #12
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I appreciate this story and will reflect upon it, should I come upon a mountain bike trail while in West Virginia and entertain any thought of riding it.

Get well!
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 07:52 PM   #13
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
My best wishes also and thank you for the implied warning.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 08:03 PM   #14
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Following my Colles' fracture of the right radius, I was given the usual 6-week orthopaedic constant, in my case 3 weeks in a compression splint followed by 3 weeks in a hand-and-forearm cast. After 4 weeks I missed bicycling enough to get on my mountain bike for some casual on-road cycling. The handlebar extension allowed me to hold my arm in a neutral "handshake" position, and having just the left/front brake was essentially business-as-usual, since I normally don't use the rear brake on dry pavement, other than for speed control on long descents.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 08:52 PM   #15
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I appreciate this story and will reflect upon it, should I come upon a mountain bike trail while in West Virginia and entertain any thought of riding it.

Get well!
Yes, get well soon, and Tom wear that helmet in WV. From my experience, there seems to be nothing but nothing but rock gardens, baby heads and gnarly, technical singletrack in that state. (Will somebody check a slang dictionary to make sure I used the right phrases).
Old 07-17-07, 09:02 PM   #16
berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel
sorry to hear about your accident.
you have my best for a speedy and full recovery.
berts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:12 PM   #17
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ouch! That hurt just reading about it. Given that I am a southpaw, it hurt a little worse.

I hope you heal rapidly.
doctor j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:14 PM   #18
mtnbk3000

Bikes:
sounds like a water bar, they are dangerous as sh*t if you don't know how to ride them.
mtnbk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 09:15 PM   #19
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
That is encouraging Oilman. When I get back to DC I am going to a sports clinic to get the cast and followup. I want docs who are sympathetic with getting back in the game - not just nay sayers.
As soon as you get permission......wait, if you don't ask, they can't say no....anyway, as soon as you are ready to do a bit of rails to trails, I would be happy to join you on the W&OD or Mt Vernon or Capitol Crescent Trail, or which ever trail is most convenient for you.....just say when You can send me a PM so "they" don't find out.
Old 07-17-07, 09:33 PM   #20
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
Yes, get well soon, and Tom wear that helmet in WV. From my experience, there seems to be nothing but nothing but rock gardens, baby heads and gnarly, technical singletrack in that state. (Will somebody check a slang dictionary to make sure I used the right phrases).
Tom has already found 40+ miles of gentle rail trails to ride, within 5 miles of where we will be staying.

http://www.morgantown.com/trail-map2000-2.pdf

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote