Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My next bike! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/322048-my-next-bike.html)

DougG 07-17-07 11:19 AM

My next bike!
 
This was linked off a discussion in the Road Riding section yesterday, in case you missed it. This is just the thing for me to ride off into retirement on. I just have to get my wife's OK on it and...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery...bike/flash.htm

Tom Bombadil 07-17-07 12:20 PM

About the same price as a well-equipped Kia Optima sedan.

In which would you have the higher pride of ownership?

oilman_15106 07-17-07 10:19 PM

Worth every hard earned penny.

ang1sgt 07-18-07 05:15 AM

And people thought I was nuts to buy a Mountain Tandem for $1800 back in 1989! This bike is nuts! I have no want or desire for something like that at all. I do like nice stuff but is there really a need for a $20K bike? I guess for some there is. Of course my current attraction is a new Schmidt Dynamo front hub that I could lace up on a rim for my next bike which I hope to be a Cross Single Speed for commuting. That hub hooked into some nice lights with a capacitor would be really SWEET! Of course some would think I'm nuts to be willing to pay $230 bucks just for a HUB!

Chris

stonecrd 07-18-07 05:26 AM

I am just not sure what you really get for that price other than a status symbol. I think frame materials and components kind of max out around the $5000 - $6000 price range.

ang1sgt 07-18-07 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 4876310)
I am just not sure what you really get for that price other than a status symbol. I think frame materials and components kind of max out around the $5000 - $6000 price range.

I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. To me, a Black Touring Frame with polished Stainless Steel Lugs with a small Red lug outline, A Schmidt Dynamo front hub and some nice lights hooked on to that, and then some of these neat racks I saw that are made someplace out in Oregon or Washington State, and of course a nice new Brooks saddle with a match Saddle bag...

Oh gosh my Credit Cards are melting!

Chris

Retro Grouch 07-18-07 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 4872600)
About the same price as a well-equipped Kia Optima sedan.

In which would you have the higher pride of ownership?

Yup. That comes pretty close to the cost of my new Honda Element.

As to pride of ownership here's the question: I've had other Element drivers wave at me when I drive down the street. If I buy this bike will other road bikers wave to me?

Retro Grouch 07-18-07 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang1sgt (Post 4876332)
I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. To me, a Black Touring Frame with polished Stainless Steel Lugs with a small Red lug outline, A Schmidt Dynamo front hub and some nice lights hooked on to that, and then some of these neat racks I saw that are made someplace out in Oregon or Washington State, and of course a nice new Brooks saddle with a match Saddle bag...

Oh, oh, oh! How about some laminated wood fenders? They come in several different varieties of wood to coordinate with the rest of your bike. Not cheap but absolutely stunning!

BluesDawg 07-18-07 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang1sgt (Post 4876332)
I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. To me, a Black Touring Frame with polished Stainless Steel Lugs with a small Red lug outline, A Schmidt Dynamo front hub and some nice lights hooked on to that, and then some of these neat racks I saw that are made someplace out in Oregon or Washington State, and of course a nice new Brooks saddle with a match Saddle bag...

Oh gosh my Credit Cards are melting!

Chris

853 is yesterday's news. 953 stainless steel is the magic stuff!

ang1sgt 07-18-07 08:12 AM

Yes I know that 953 is some nice stuff but 853 is pretty great stuff.

Tom Bombadil 07-18-07 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 4876457)
As to pride of ownership here's the question: I've had other Element drivers wave at me when I drive down the street. If I buy this bike will other road bikers wave to me?

If you are on the $20K bike, you won't even be making eye contact with them.

stapfam 07-18-07 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 4876457)
Yup. That comes pretty close to the cost of my new Honda Element.

As to pride of ownership here's the question: I've had other Element drivers wave at me when I drive down the street. If I buy this bike will other road bikers wave to me?

They will be impressed with the colour and probably ask if you got it mail order or from Wally mart.

And when I posted on the subject of My new Bike- It cost me $5,000

stonecrd 07-18-07 11:41 AM

There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200. So you have to ease them into it; start at $1000, then the next one is $3000, then $6000 and finally you can get that $20k dream bike:rolleyes:

cyclezen 07-18-07 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 4876471)
Oh, oh, oh! How about some laminated wood fenders? They come in several different varieties of wood to coordinate with the rest of your bike. Not cheap but absolutely stunning!

here, Da Kine!

for the blacktop jungle...

http://www.calfeedesign.com/pages/images/NewBamboo.png

to match my bamboo wavestik
natch...

Tom Bombadil 07-18-07 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 4878536)
There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200. So you have to ease them into it; start at $1000, then the next one is $3000, then $6000 and finally you can get that $20k dream bike:rolleyes:

Or you can start by mentioning the $20000 bike, then when you buy at $2500, you will have "compromised" and taken the frugal choice.

Retro Grouch 07-18-07 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 4878536)
There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200.

Nope. That's easy. You didn't settle for an "entry level" wife did you? No! You held out for the best. Same's true with bikes.

John E 07-18-07 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang1sgt (Post 4876332)
I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. ...

You and I think alike. Carbon forks scare the cr@p out of me.

tlc20010 07-19-07 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John E (Post 4880162)
You and I think alike. Carbon forks scare the cr@p out of me.

Then best stay away from the new Boeing 787. If carbon forks bother you, what about a plane? http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...70708b_nr.html

CB HI 07-19-07 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 4879613)
Nope. That's easy. You didn't settle for an "entry level" wife did you? No! You held out for the best. Same's true with bikes.

I have more than one bike; can I have more than one wife?:)





On second thought, if I had more than one wife; I would not have any bikes:eek:, so forget that!

maddmaxx 07-20-07 04:31 AM

You could try to build it in pieces of say no more than $250 at a time......:)

ang1sgt 07-20-07 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlc20010 (Post 4883789)
Then best stay away from the new Boeing 787. If carbon forks bother you, what about a plane? http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...70708b_nr.html

Well,

Being a retired USAF Technician, I know a little about Carbon fiber and exotic materials. The standards a Airplane are built under are vastly superior to that of a Bicycle. The F-16's that I worked on from 1989 to the end of my career in 2000 had many composites in them. After seeing the abuse some of them took in Desert Storm, I was made a believer to be sure.

Seen enough problems with breakage of many frame types and I know and have ridden steel frames when they have failed and survived those. Carbon on the other hand, when it goes it really goes.

I still stand by my use of a steel frame for my personal comfort, ease of repair and strength for the dollar spent.

Chris


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 AM.