Thread: My next bike!

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next bike!

This was linked off a discussion in the Road Riding section yesterday, in case you missed it. This is just the thing for me to ride off into retirement on. I just have to get my wife's OK on it and...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery...bike/flash.htm

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the same price as a well-equipped Kia Optima sedan.

In which would you have the higher pride of ownership?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth every hard earned penny.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people thought I was nuts to buy a Mountain Tandem for $1800 back in 1989! This bike is nuts! I have no want or desire for something like that at all. I do like nice stuff but is there really a need for a $20K bike? I guess for some there is. Of course my current attraction is a new Schmidt Dynamo front hub that I could lace up on a rim for my next bike which I hope to be a Cross Single Speed for commuting. That hub hooked into some nice lights with a capacitor would be really SWEET! Of course some would think I'm nuts to be willing to pay $230 bucks just for a HUB!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just not sure what you really get for that price other than a status symbol. I think frame materials and components kind of max out around the $5000 - $6000 price range.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    I am just not sure what you really get for that price other than a status symbol. I think frame materials and components kind of max out around the $5000 - $6000 price range.
    I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. To me, a Black Touring Frame with polished Stainless Steel Lugs with a small Red lug outline, A Schmidt Dynamo front hub and some nice lights hooked on to that, and then some of these neat racks I saw that are made someplace out in Oregon or Washington State, and of course a nice new Brooks saddle with a match Saddle bag...

Oh gosh my Credit Cards are melting!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    About the same price as a well-equipped Kia Optima sedan.

In which would you have the higher pride of ownership?
    Yup. That comes pretty close to the cost of my new Honda Element.

As to pride of ownership here's the question: I've had other Element drivers wave at me when I drive down the street. If I buy this bike will other road bikers wave to me?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt View Post
    I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. To me, a Black Touring Frame with polished Stainless Steel Lugs with a small Red lug outline, A Schmidt Dynamo front hub and some nice lights hooked on to that, and then some of these neat racks I saw that are made someplace out in Oregon or Washington State, and of course a nice new Brooks saddle with a match Saddle bag...
    Oh, oh, oh! How about some laminated wood fenders? They come in several different varieties of wood to coordinate with the rest of your bike. Not cheap but absolutely stunning!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh gosh my Credit Cards are melting!

Chris
    853 is yesterday's news. 953 stainless steel is the magic stuff!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know that 953 is some nice stuff but 853 is pretty great stuff.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    As to pride of ownership here's the question: I've had other Element drivers wave at me when I drive down the street. If I buy this bike will other road bikers wave to me?
    If you are on the $20K bike, you won't even be making eye contact with them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. That comes pretty close to the cost of my new Honda Element.

They will be impressed with the colour and probably ask if you got it mail order or from Wally mart.

And when I posted on the subject of My new Bike- It cost me $5,000
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-18-07 at 11:19 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200. So you have to ease them into it; start at $1000, then the next one is $3000, then $6000 and finally you can get that $20k dream bike
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, oh, oh! How about some laminated wood fenders? They come in several different varieties of wood to coordinate with the rest of your bike. Not cheap but absolutely stunning!
    here, Da Kine!

for the blacktop jungle...

to match my bamboo wavestik
    natch...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200. So you have to ease them into it; start at $1000, then the next one is $3000, then $6000 and finally you can get that $20k dream bike
    Or you can start by mentioning the $20000 bike, then when you buy at $2500, you will have "compromised" and taken the frugal choice.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the SO factor. There is very little chance you can convince a non-riding partner that a bicycle is worth more than $200.
    Nope. That's easy. You didn't settle for an "entry level" wife did you? No! You held out for the best. Same's true with bikes.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have issues with a Carbon Frame. If I wanted a Custom designed bike, I would be more apt to have a Framebuilder build me something in a 853 Tube set in a Touring frame. ...
    You and I think alike. Carbon forks scare the cr@p out of me.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    You and I think alike. Carbon forks scare the cr@p out of me.
    Then best stay away from the new Boeing 787. If carbon forks bother you, what about a plane? http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...70708b_nr.html
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. That's easy. You didn't settle for an "entry level" wife did you? No! You held out for the best. Same's true with bikes.
    I have more than one bike; can I have more than one wife?

On second thought, if I had more than one wife; I would not have any bikes, so forget that!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could try to build it in pieces of say no more than $250 at a time......

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Then best stay away from the new Boeing 787. If carbon forks bother you, what about a plane? http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...70708b_nr.html
    Well,

Being a retired USAF Technician, I know a little about Carbon fiber and exotic materials. The standards a Airplane are built under are vastly superior to that of a Bicycle. The F-16's that I worked on from 1989 to the end of my career in 2000 had many composites in them. After seeing the abuse some of them took in Desert Storm, I was made a believer to be sure.

Seen enough problems with breakage of many frame types and I know and have ridden steel frames when they have failed and survived those. Carbon on the other hand, when it goes it really goes.

I still stand by my use of a steel frame for my personal comfort, ease of repair and strength for the dollar spent.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon